UIL 6A 2023 State Marching Band Contest (Oct. 30. & 31)

LeanderMomma

3 hours ago, crunchycookie3 said:

Well done Haltom! Exciting to see the first of ALL 3 BISD schools at State. Does anyone know how many districts with multiple high schools sent all of their programs to state?

Not in 6A, but in 4A Canyon ISD is sending all three high schools to state. Not sure how many overall do this though.

Just now, LKendrick said:

NFHS is much improved this year for me.  Not the best video and audio quality but much better than last year.  Stream has been way more stable than any of the BOA ones I have watched this year.  

100% I think they defiantly either hired people who have done live streaming for bands comps before, got training or something, because it's a million times better than last year! Thank you NFHS for trying to make the stream better, becuase it is! 

Just now, Bad.robot said:

Waxahachie finished after the dome clock hit 0:00. Is that an automatic DQ?

UH OH, I sure hope not, because that performance definitely felt like a state finalist!!! That Fluegelhorn soloist plays with such a mature sound! Great ensemble sounds, love the BOOM moment at the end when they find the gold! Guard's a treat to watch, love the Yellowstone theme, another one of my favorites from this year, hope they don't get penalized...great job Waxahachie! 

Cy-woods has blown me away!!! I mean that brass was SO CLEAN! Very Impressive soloist, guard was good, feel bad for the person with the solo drop right before the ballad but like, that was a really strong performance. I want to say worthy of finals, but I really enjoyed that show, very very good all around! Great job Cy-Woods!! 

also, I'll be gone till the next block, but gl to the remeanding bands in this block! 

20 minutes ago, LKendrick said:

NFHS is much improved this year for me.  Not the best video and audio quality but much better than last year.  Stream has been way more stable than any of the BOA ones I have watched this year.  

Yes, me too. So glad to be wrong about them earlier. The resolution isn't so great, but only one freeze-up of the stream so far. A lot of this is how the app or player handles any lag.

1 hour ago, lost said:

Reagan’s show theme gives the benefit of the doubt to some of the “cleanliness” issues as they seem to be intentional design choices. I think they’re pretty solidly a finalist but I’m having a hard time as an untrained judge seeing how the judges will choose to interpret their show altogether.

And these are UIL judges, so you just don't know where they will land.

Here is what the UIL Rules Section 1105 (Region and State) say:

(1) Performance Time. Each competing band shall occupy the football field for not less than five nor more than eight minutes. Any band that leaves the field in less than five minutes or fails to complete its performance in eight minutes shall be penalized one rating.

(2) Movement to Field Position. The contest chair will determine the ready position each band will assume prior to entering the field of competition. The position shall provide efficient and prompt access to the football field without interfering with other bands as they perform. This location will be clearly described in the marching contest packet.

(3) Official Time. The official time for each band will be kept according to the following:

(A) The contest chair will designate an official timekeeper.

(B) In order to allow ample time for the judges to complete their critiques, bands will be scheduled with five minutes between performances and a maximum of fifteen minutes per band.

(C) Bands may use the five minutes prior to their performance in any way they deem appropriate in order to assume their starting position and prepare for the beginning of their show. Activities may include warm-up and/or cadence.

(D) Each band will be announced with 45 seconds remaining on the 5-minute clock. The beginning of their announcement will indicate that the performance time will begin in 45 seconds.

(E) The actual timing and adjudication for the show will begin at the end of the five minutes.

(F) At the conclusion of each band’s performance the post script will be read while the band will have two minutes to exit the field and clear the marching surface of all equipment, instruments and props. The use of either instrumental or verbal cadence is optional. A band that fails to be clear of the field (outside the sidelines or endlines) or continues to use instrumental or verbal cadence at the end of the two minutes will be disqualified. 

(G) A band leaving equipment or instruments on the sideline in such a manner that these items impede the movement of the next band into its starting position will be subject to penalty in accordance with Subchapter E.

2 minutes ago, gregorydf01 said:

(1) Performance Time. Each competing band shall occupy the football field for not less than five nor more than eight minutes. Any band that leaves the field in less than five minutes or fails to complete its performance in eight minutes shall be penalized one rating.

(2) Movement to Field Position. The contest chair will determine the ready position each band will assume prior to entering the field of competition. The position shall provide efficient and prompt access to the football field without interfering with other bands as they perform. This location will be clearly described in the marching contest packet.

(3) Official Time. The official time for each band will be kept according to the following:

(B) In order to allow ample time for the judges to complete their critiques, bands will be scheduled with five minutes between performances and a maximum of fifteen minutes per band.

(C) Bands may use the five minutes prior to their performance in any way they deem appropriate in order to assume their starting position and prepare for the beginning of their show. Activities may include warm-up and/or cadence.

(D) Each band will be announced with 45 seconds remaining on the 5-minute clock. The beginning of their announcement will indicate that the performance time will begin in 45 seconds.

(E) The actual timing and adjudication for the show will begin at the end of the five minutes.

(F) At the conclusion of each band’s performance the post script will be read while the band will have two minutes to exit the field and clear the marching surface of all equipment, instruments and props. The use of either instrumental or verbal cadence is optional. A band that fails to be clear of the field (outside the sidelines or endlines) or continues to use instrumental or verbal cadence at the end of the two minutes will be disqualified. 

(G) A band leaving equipment or instruments on the sideline in such a manner that these items impede the movement of the next band into its starting position will be subject to penalty in accordance with Subchapter E.

What does “one rating” mean at the state level?

6 minutes ago, gregorydf01 said:

I stand corrected, Found this, although It refers to 1105 for State it does say disqualification.

"Performance regulations as listed under Section 1105 shall apply to the state marching band contest with the following exception: Any band that leaves the field in less than five minutes or fails to complete its performance in eight minutes shall be disqualified."

2 minutes ago, gregorydf01 said:

How that translates from Region to State for penalty I am not sure, as this section for Area is what is referenced for State.   However it sounds like a penalty not a disqualification.   

Just found this in section 1107 (state competition). 

Performance regulations as listed under Section 1105 shall apply to the state marching band contest with the following exception: Any band that leaves the field in less than five minutes or fails to complete its performance in eight minutes shall be disqualified.