UIL 6A 2023 State Marching Band Contest (Oct. 30. & 31)

LeanderMomma

37 minutes ago, gregorydf01 said:

Watching on a 65 inch TV via ROKU and looks less than 480 resolution and very skippy frame rate, around 20 FPS.    Box 5 is much better on the TV.   I sent a note to Note to NFHS Support to log the issue.   

The more people that are added to the stream, the more they will lower the resolution. Their goal is to not have you buffering.

Just now, crunchycookie3 said:

Reagan was good! I was a bit surprised by some of the quality of sounds made and some feet timing issues from them. I’m pretty confident that they’ll stay a finalist, but there may be a bit more room for some new faces in the top half of finals.

I thought the same thing. There seemed to be some timing issues here and there. But that woodwind feature was very strong! I think the great design and difficulty will offset some of the performance issues. 

1 minute ago, vacon3` said:

I thought the same thing. There seemed to be some timing issues here and there. But that woodwind feature was very strong! I think the great design and difficulty will offset some of the performance issues. 

With the theme "From Chaos" the Music had some dissident parts and offsetting timing that was intended and could sound off but from what I heard was very well done.  Great performance!

Just now, tubapop said:

Interesting, thanks. Why do they do it that way? 

Well I believe UIL started doing this just recently in the last few years (Could be wrong about that. Sorry!) following BOA who also started doing the same too. I think it was because of issues where bands placing very high in prelims, having to perform 1st or 2nd in finals to then drop several placements. Hebron 2015 at Grand Nationals comes to mind. 

1 minute ago, ChristopherRoden said:

Mmm I was a little taken aback by Reagan… they were clean visually sure but there were parts of that show, many actually, that were really hard to listen to. They don’t have the same quality of sound as some of the other bands who will undoubtedly place below them. I didn’t really like the balancing at all, just my take I guess. 
CTJ was the opposite for me. Clean musically and nice to listen to but some shockingly dirty visual moments. Especially at the end. 

Had the exact same thought. I saw a few visual flaws in Reagan's show especially near the end zone toward the end of the show, and musically there were notable issues. Loved the opener though. 

4 minutes ago, ChristopherRoden said:

Mmm I was a little taken aback by Reagan… they were clean visually sure but there were parts of that show, many actually, that were really hard to listen to. They don’t have the same quality of sound as some of the other bands who will undoubtedly place below them. I didn’t really like the balancing at all, just my take I guess. 
CTJ was the opposite for me. Clean musically and nice to listen to but some shockingly dirty visual moments. Especially at the end. 

No yeah I do think that this will lead to some very interesting results for both of these schools. At least it should… I could name 5 Houston and 10 Dallas “bubble” bands that sound and march better. 
makes you wonder what anonymous performances would do to the final ranking…

1 minute ago, gregorydf01 said:

With the kid's also watching these threads I think it is always a good habit to find the positive and not stress the negative in what you are watching.   These are all fantastic bands and the effort put in is top notch! 

To the kids watching: none of the negatives are a critique on you, rather the program and its coordinators.