2023 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 3 & 4)

LeanderMomma

42 minutes ago, bchorn said:

How on earth did McNeil beat Westlake, Leander, Moe & Gene Johnson, and Lake Travis (in prelims) at TMC?  

That finish for McNeil is looking more and more like an fluke/outlier.   

No McNeil affiliation here, but I thought McNeil had a great show, and am surprised their prelims placement wasn’t a bit higher.

10 hours ago, GeekBoy54 said:

14th - Claudia Taylor Johnson - 89.15

--------------Finals Cutoff------------- 

15th - Cedar Ridge - 89.1 (Out by 0.05)

16th - Timber Creek - 88.75

17th - Cypress Woods - 88.15

18th - Forney - 86.80

19th - Lake Travis - 86.55

20th - Keller Central - 86.20

21st - Wylie East - 85.80

22nd - Westwood - 85.75

23rd - James Bowie - 85.00

24th Tie - College Park - 84.85

24th Tie - Moe and Gene Johnson - 84.85

Does BOA no longer break tied scores?

I really wonder how things would have shaken out if Hebron,Flomo,Pearland,Coppell and Keller had attended! I think Keller would have been the only one at risk of not making finals, but even so that would have meant based on the prelims results no CTJ, Wakeland, Leander or CP, kinda crazy to think that could have happened, just goes to show how unbelievably stacked HSMB is here in Texas! 

So what do we think Vandegrift’s run of strong showings in both BOA and UIL, especially these last 2 years, without traditional Color Guard mean for the future of Color Guard? Vandegrift thinks so much of it that they have a dedicated dance department and credited dance courses at school.

At one time I would have thought you could use a Dance Company and do great at BOA, but perhaps not UIL. With the change in UIL judging I am starting to think it might be the way to go for other bands. To me dance, even though it is difficult, is less likely to show errors or issues being more fluid and flowing in nature. Color Guard just adds a level of possible issues to a program and could muddy the waters during a programs run. To me Vandegrift has figured out the only thing that matters are getting the points needed to win. You are not trying to be better than the other bands at anything in particular or entertain anyone especially the judges. Just make sure you program is smooth, precise and clean and you'll get the points needed. I am not saying this as a knock on Vandegrift, but as a compliment. To me they are ahead of all other Texas bands in knowing what it takes to win and I think the exclusion of Color Guard in favor of a Dance Company is a big part of their success.

27 minutes ago, MilBandDude said:

So what do we think Vandegrift’s run of strong showings in both BOA and UIL, especially these last 2 years, without traditional Color Guard mean for the future of Color Guard? Vandegrift thinks so much of it that they have a dedicated dance department and credited dance courses at school.

At one time I would have thought you could use a Dance Company and do great at BOA, but perhaps not UIL. With the change in UIL judging I am starting to think it might be the way to go for other bands. To me dance, even though it is difficult, is less likely to show errors or issues being more fluid and flowing in nature. Color Guard just adds a level of possible issues to a program and could muddy the waters during a programs run. To me Vandegrift has figured out the only thing that matters are getting the points needed to win. You are not trying to be better than the other bands at anything in particular or entertain anyone especially the judges. Just make sure you program is smooth, precise and clean and you'll get the points needed. I am not saying this as a knock on Vandegrift, but as a compliment. To me they are ahead of all other Texas bands in knowing what it takes to win and I think the exclusion of Color Guard in favor of a Dance Company is a big part of their success.

The dance team is more of a tradition to the program at this point

33 minutes ago, crunchycookie3 said:

Just personal taste- it’s not for me! I feel that (again, personally) that there is a big part of GE that is more successfully conveyed with silks and weapons-lines. Sure, the dance team provided a sense of elegance to Vandegrift’s show, but once the activity catches back up to them, I don’t think the dance team over traditional guard trend will be enough to keep top groups at the top.

I agree, it's not my favorite. If the world was run by me we'd have a requirement for two types of equipment used by guard/dance team or whatever you want to call it, but luckily for us all I'm not in charge of the world! Nothing against Vandy, they were amazing last night and I loved their show. They deserved their 97.60.

I think my favorite was Reagan, they have a good mix of talented dance team and a strong guard that uses flags, rifles, sabers, etc.

8 minutes ago, VistaGuardDad said:

I agree, it's not my favorite. If the world was run by me we'd have a requirement for two types of equipment used by guard/dance team or whatever you want to call it, but luckily for us all I'm not in charge of the world! Nothing against Vandy, they were amazing last night and I loved their show. They deserved their 97.60.

I think my favorite was Reagan, they have a good mix of talented dance team and a strong guard that uses flags, rifles, sabers, etc.

I wonder if they should just add a caption called best of show or most entertaining or program I would love to watch play one more time? 😀

47 minutes ago, MilBandDude said:

It was interesting to see them win color guard caption awards at contests like TMC because I thought that your “auxiliary” had to demonstrate proficiency in equipment work, but it seems dance skills are an integral part of the color guard’s repertoire 

2 minutes ago, Dog885 said:

Ok y'all I've got the final ripple counter for Leander. At finals they clocked in at about 83 ripples that I counted in the band. It would absolutely be over 100 if I were able to count guard at the same time.

I found it to be quite effective as well, generally speaking. 

17 minutes ago, MilBandDude said:

I wonder if they should just add a caption called best of show or most entertaining or program I would love to watch play one more time? 😀

I would love that! I posted on another thread, but it always seems like the shows I find the most fun/entertaining get punished by the judges. Think ROUS (Rodents of unusual Size) from last year and CTJ from this year. Both are super fun and obvious audience favorites that the judges didn't seem to think were as good as some of the less university style shows.

3 hours ago, goombatrony said:

Wow- are you seriously a VR parent, a sister school parent, trashing another school in your own district over some mics? Rouse has a big sound, with or without the mics. Even with less than 250 people in their band, unlike some of their sister schools. But I haven't seen one Rouse parent on here trashing their sister schools. And why are you so quick to discredit Rouse? Are you jealous? I have watched all of these bands all season. And while I may not like some of the shows I am not going to get on a forum and start trashing them. Rouse has had a very good season. From what I understand they have had a rough last 7 years and they are now at a turning point. And if you truly know what you are talking about, then you would know that Rouse is by no means a "rich" band. From what I've seen those kids have poured their hearts out on the field and have produced a solid, clean and entertaining program for this season. For the record, every band has done something to enhance their sound in one way or another. And I'm pretty sure I was watching every band last night blast sounds  right at the front of the field. So instead of trying to tear down a band program, why not just enjoy the victory that VR had this season. 

Has that person identified as a Vista parent that I missed, or are we assuming?