2023 WGI: The Slay All Day Thread

Rubisco

1 hour ago, packwick said:

it's not a video of mine, it's available on YT.

i can send a link later. it's a Google drive w/ band videos going back to 1990. not much guard on it besides the 2 vids i was able to upload in Jan and the stuff in the twhs folder. my mother is a band and guard dvd hoarder but the drive is focused on band. she did give me her duplicates for wgi, which is like 7 DVDs i've never watched lol. let's see here, i have Volume 1 of the 2001 World Class championships, Volume 5 of Fans' 15 Favorites, 2004 Independent World Finals, 2006 Independent World Finals, 2008 Scholastic World Finals, 2009 Independent World Finals, and 2007 Independent World Finals. i feeeeel like all these are on YT already.

If you could by chance dm/send this to me as well I’d be beyond appreciate :)

congrats to twhs JV on their win at Klein Collins over some preeetty tough competition like CyWoods and Grand Oaks. well earned. scores were all like 2 points too low tho, maybe cause the judges were aaall over the place and couldn't agree, like at all. both mom and i were kinda like huh, only 85? Oaks' score dropped from last week at WGI even tho their performance was great. but whatevs. local contest, no active wgi judges.

twhs world gave a great performance. no significant design changes which makes me think their ceiling at Dayton is prob capped at 2nd but we'll see. gold medal talent tho. flagwork throughout ballad and end much more uniform. entering pod of 3 sabres stiiiill not quite together as they travel out of the ground into those spinning skills but the fuller sabre ensemble part w/ flags is better than before. overall i was very impressed. like a billion bodies on the floor but talent is there top to bottom.

Got on early for Tarpon and was able to catch Cleveland hs from North Carolina and my god, that show was incredible!!! Just a talented group all around!!! Also, I wanted to state how much I love the community at events like wgi!!! Everyone from the parents to all the other guards are just beyond supportive of all the other groups there, and it makes me so happy for the kids! Time for Tarpon!!!!

I was so so so pleasantly surprised by Cleveland. I definitely misjudged them initially on the meh set design, so I wasn’t expecting that performance. They performed the crap out of that show. It was very nice to see the audience give them the correct amount of energy back. That last toss was absolutely wild!

Tarpon was of course fantastic. Probably my favorite in SW this year, although Carmel is really growing on me. 

6 minutes ago, Origin said:

I was so so so pleasantly surprised by Cleveland. I definitely misjudged them initially on the meh set design, so I wasn’t expecting that performance. They performed the crap out of that show. It was very nice to see the audience give them the correct amount of energy back. That last toss was absolutely wild!

Tarpon was of course fantastic. Probably my favorite in SW this year, although Carmel is really growing on me. 

Cleveland was a big nice surprise for sure! Will definitely be watching them tomorrow assuming they make it🤞

I've had a very busy day between the guard contest in the morning and activities with my brother in the afternoon/evening. I'm totally exhausted, but it was worth it. The guards at Clear Creek were outstanding! Congratulations to our National A champ, Clear Brook! One of my favorites this year, for sure.

I'll try to catch up on the out-of-state guards tomorrow. Looking at the scores, I'm surprised to see Tarpon trailing Carmel, but if Carmel is as clean as I've heard, then that would explain that. Different contests, of course, but those two seem to be in a more similar range than expected. A Tarpon win might not be a forgone conclusion. What we can say is that Carmel widened their gap over Avon considerably today. TWHS will also likely land somewhere in the top 4 again, although it's harder to tell where without a late season WGI score -- which I'm sure would have been too close to the others to tell anything anyway.

Pride of Cincinnati is currently trailing both Blessed Sacrament and Paramount. We'll see what happens after finals tomorrow. Those three will likely be close at Dayton. Onyx looks to be closer to Fusion, so there could be an interesting fight for 4th.

i kinda picked up on that too w/ Westlake dominating in open here in TX. kinda like kennesaw winning A and Open one right after the other in 04, 05. but that's a full yr of extra development for your guard, so.... but yeah, pdcms is exceptional w/ the same season score match. also makin me a liiiiittle more worried about the TX opens lol. a 3 yr middle school gonna slay a bunch more 4 yr high schools. at least the ones in TX can blame it on the 8 hr rule hahahaha.

9 hours ago, Rubisco said:

And how about Palm Desert Charter Middle School scoring an 85 in Open, nearly matching Mt. Carmel (currently seeded 3rd nationally), after being promoted from A Class -- wow, that's impressive! Actually, they're pretty much scoring the exact same as they would have been expected to score if they had stayed in the A Class. It really does make you wonder just how distinct the classes are, and/or maybe question the consistency of WGI's judging in general. The paradigm the judges use to rate guards (supposedly) shifts to a higher level for an Open guard, so we'd expect scores to drop compared to scores achieved in the A class. Clearly that isn't always the case! It's also a little interesting that the top A guards from last year's Dayton, like Somerset Academy and Brownsburg, are dominating in the Open class right now. That's not unheard of, but I'm wondering if the pandemic has made the barrier between classes that much more porous. That, and classes have always been more of a folk wisdom than an exact science.

Their prelims run was the best of the season yet. Hoping the finals run is equally as good. I had been saying since the start of the season that I felt that PDCMS was doing a show that a Scholastic Open Class guard would do. Turns out I am correct.

With PDCMS scoring an 85.4 at Manhattan Beach, it's looking like they may be placed in the top 6 or 7 in the projected rankings for SO. That is just insane.

*Edit* Actually, taking a closer look at the other SO groups from the Indianapolis Regional, I think PDCMS will get placed in the top 10, not top 6 or 7.