UIL 5A State Marching Contest 2023

Dave609

Wow!! This certainly was a competitive and fun competition! I am a former Wakeland parent, and I am SUPER proud of them for cracking that LISD state sweep juggernaut. Also very happy for Lone Star and their highest finish ever. Their show was fantastic! And (correct me if I am wrong someone) Lebanon Trail’s first finals appearance! Their future is very bright. Three Frisco bands in finals is amazing for us, and I’m extremely proud of my district!

I feel like every band in this competition had amazing runs, and everyone should be so proud to end their seasons on such a fantastic note! 

Of course I must congratulate Cedar Park on yet another title, and Rouse for the silver! Y’all’s bands are absolute beasts! LISD is the standard all districts should aspire to. Frisco is certainly trying their best. 😉

And Forney!! Wow!! @clarinetistkai05 you must be on cloud 9 with that finish! Congratulations!! Wishing you all the best in all your future endeavors after you graduate!

46 minutes ago, Spirit said:

Wow!! This certainly was a competitive and fun competition! I am a former Wakeland parent, and I am SUPER proud of them for cracking that LISD state sweep juggernaut. Also very happy for Lone Star and their highest finish ever. Their show was fantastic! And (correct me if I am wrong someone) Lebanon Trail’s first finals appearance! Their future is very bright. Three Frisco bands in finals is a first for us, and I’m extremely proud of my district!

I feel like every band in this competition had amazing runs, and everyone should be so proud to end their seasons on such a fantastic note! 

Of course I must congratulate Cedar Park on yet another title, and Rouse for the silver! Y’all’s bands are absolute beasts! LISD is the standard all districts should aspire to. Frisco is certainly trying their best. 😉

And Forney!! Wow!! @clarinetistkai05 you must be on cloud 9 with that finish! Congratulations!! Wishing you all the best in all your future endeavors after you graduate!

Slight correction: LT made State Finals in 2019 (their first 5A year) after winning 1st at Area B. 2019 had 3 FISD Finals appearances (LS 12th, LT 8th, Wakeland 3rd). Very tough competition this year as the program recovers from their (relatively) weaker 15th place finish in 2021.

25 minutes ago, Spirit said:

Wow!! This certainly was a competitive and fun competition! I am a former Wakeland parent, and I am SUPER proud of them for cracking that LISD state sweep juggernaut. Also very happy for Lone Star and their highest finish ever. Their show was fantastic! And (correct me if I am wrong someone) Lebanon Trail’s first finals appearance! Their future is very bright. Three Frisco bands in finals is a first for us, and I’m extremely proud of my district!

I’m more or less shocked, but I AM SO PROUD AND HAPPY!

35 minutes ago, goga said:

Slight correction: LT made State Finals in 2019 (their first 5A year) after winning 1st at Area B. 2019 had 3 FISD Finals appearances (LS 12th, LT 8th, Wakeland 3rd). Very tough competition this year as the program recovers from their (relatively) weaker 15th place finish in 2021.

Ah! I totally spaced on that! Thank you! My old brain isn’t what it used to be… 🤪

9 minutes ago, AllenBandDad said:

Four Frisco bands in state finals if you include 4A Panther Creek.

Beat me to it.  I was going to say that FISD had another UIL state medalist this year.

Also unrelated, but didn't Colleyville Heritage make the top half of finals from area F a few years back?  They might have even medaled.

2 hours ago, cinnamonhoneylake said:

A little visual of where our 12 finalists come from ;) congratulations to everyone and thank you for sharing your talent with us !! 8138FCE4-E774-4E85-953D-28DDED486A02.thumb.jpeg.97856c39b7a8e31ba9f4f756806138eb.jpeg

Rouse, Leander and Cedar Park pretty much should be one star since they are about 7 miles from each other.  Add Vandegrift and Vista Ridge to that one star.

28 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

Beat me to it.  I was going to say that FISD had another UIL state medalist this year.

Also unrelated, but didn't Colleyville Heritage make the top half of finals from area F a few years back?  They might have even medaled.

They medaled in 2019/2021/2022. They had an good run during area finals (I heard it was equally good as prelims, which was amazing in person) but dropped two places to state alternate. I'm assuming Centennial and Birdville brought out their A+ game.

They went through major staffing changes throughout the past few months but they've had nearly as much success as in the past few years. I wouldn't be surprised to see them back in state finals within the next 2 years.

3 hours ago, MikeKyu said:

It was visual and content & design where Cedar Park won this contest. Music and percussion was a dead heat between CP and Rouse

So weird since it's been the exact opposite in every other competition including the preliminaries. I think overall got it correct but the individual scores seem off from what I've seen. 

also funny trend I just noticed: whenever we compete with burleson centennial, we always place right next to them.

2019 state prelims, Lone star 6th BC 5th (before LS dropped to 12th in finals)

2021 state prelims, Lone star 16th BC 17th

2023 BOA bedford prelims, Lone star 14th BC 15th

2023 state prelims and finals, Lone star 7th BC 6th

3 minutes ago, tennertrumbow said:

also funny trend I just noticed: whenever we compete with burleson centennial, we always place right next to them.

2019 state prelims, Lone star 6th BC 5th (before LS dropped to 12th in finals)

2021 state prelims, Lone star 16th BC 17th

2023 BOA bedford prelims, Lone star 14th BC 15th

2023 state prelims and finals, Lone star 7th BC 6th

Also Forney had the same trend before it was broken i believe this year. Congrats again!