2023 BOA Grand National Championships (Nov. 9-11)

josephbandfan

Just now, Hard Core Band Fan said:

You have to take the emotion out of your perception of them to assess them fairly. It’s tough for me to do that as well. My dad did a lot of judging and he would often tell me that he didn't like a band's performance, but they were technically superior to everyone else that day and deserved being scored accordingly.

95% percent of predictions are people's emotional favorites haha. I didn't connect to Vandegrift this year but after their finals performance I just threw my hands up and agreed they were the best.

Just now, Hard Core Band Fan said:

You have to take the emotion out of your perception of them to assess them fairly. It’s tough for me to do that as well. My dad did a lot of judging and he would often tell me that he didn't like a band's performance, but they were technically superior to everyone else that day and deserved being scored accordingly.

This is all fine and well, but I agree that they didn’t present as particularly clean-musically or visually. I’d be particularly surprised if they win all judges in the same caption. 

Really enjoyed that performance from Kiski Area! Will be interesting to see how Dartmouth responses, but that was a very solid run. Staging for the guard is great, a couple errors, but they performed so well in the ballad, really liked that moment a lot! Drill was very clean, and music was very good, would love to see them again in AA exhibition, great job Kiski Area! 

AVON!!! WOW! For sure my prediction to take visual at the current moment, maybe GE, I feel like assuming they have that type or even better performance tonight I'd have them slightly edging out Carmel, but that run was on point! Guard was WOW!!! Really enjoyed how they used Pictures at an Exhibition, great usage of the props, very strong change of taking the Eagle tonight. Drill was just super clean and also effective, can't wait to watch that again tonight, great job Avon! 

2 minutes ago, Hack said:

Bourbon county had technical issues with their mic - don’t know if they will count against them 

I hate to see technical issues but:

I know that I am in the minority here but I believe that electronics failures should hurt a band's score. What's so special about electronics that it becomes the effect generator that has absolutely no downside to incorporating into a show?

THE WOODLANDS, THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT!!!! I'm gonna go ahead and say them and Avon tie for visual, but they may take it simply because OF THAT OUT OF THIS WORLD GUARD!!! I think they could knock Carmel out of the top 3, but if they don't, they will be VERY close to getting 3rd, at least I'd hope. Musically, some stick outs, mainly in the low brass, but visually, perfect, and another band I see possibly taking the Eagle home, just need to clean up some musically tonight. But my goodness Woodlands, that was incredible!