2023 BOA Grand National Championships (Nov. 9-11)

josephbandfan

24 minutes ago, packwick said:

not my fave from them either but betting against Avon is a hard bet to take lol. top 3 at Nats since what, 2007??? that's approachin' 20 years!!! crazy impressive!!

You are correct. It's also like a tradition which seems will never be broken. But like Marion Catholic's streak, it can be broken. I am looking forward to when that happens, whenever that is.

ok Fisher's had me clapping at my computer screen like the complete weirdo i am. ugh, somebody get me some eggnog, i don't even like eggnog!!!

amazing Christmas aesthetic, the costuming, all that shimmery red, the set pieces, so nicely balanced across the field w/ the staging. the jazziness, the personality, the general positive feelings, it's so darn mirthful. amaaazing singing by the soloist, what a lovely way to end the show too w/ the full band carol. BY FAR my favorite Nats bubble band. so much creative wit on display here, subversion of expectations. best holiday show yet. way to go guys!!

18 minutes ago, packwick said:

ok Fisher's had me clapping at my computer screen like the complete weirdo i am. ugh, somebody get me some eggnog, i don't even like eggnog!!!

amazing Christmas aesthetic, the costuming, all that shimmery red, the set pieces, so nicely balanced across the field w/ the staging. the jazziness, the personality, the general positive feelings, it's so darn mirthful. amaaazing singing by the soloist, what a lovely way to end the show too w/ the full band carol. BY FAR my favorite Nats bubble band. so much creative wit on display here, subversion of expectations. best holiday show yet. way to go guys!!

The way I outwardly show my expression are mainly lots of “sheesh!!”, “wow that’s really cool”, “didn’t expect that!”, phrases of that nature coming out of my mouth, and I usually reserve that for when I see shows live. It’s hard to move me more than that but it has happened!  The way you describe this show, haven’t seen it before or heard a second of it, but it definitely gets me rooting for it more come Grand Nats, holiday shows are great and lots of good fun!

being distinct from the crowd in that regard do help them stand out and be more memorable too. Best of luck to them!

14 minutes ago, Vidal28 said:

The way I outwardly show my expression are mainly lots of “sheesh!!”, “wow that’s really cool”, “didn’t expect that!”, phrases of that nature coming out of my mouth, and I usually reserve that for when I see shows live. It’s hard to move me more than that but it has happened!  The way you describe this show, haven’t seen it before or heard a second of it, but it definitely gets me rooting for it more come Grand Nats, holiday shows are great and lots of good fun!

being distinct from the crowd in that regard do help them stand out and be more memorable too. Best of luck to them!

they def have some cleaning to do but obviously i luuuv the overall vibe. it coulda been so much cheesier.

oooo Carmel over Avon as expected at Indy Super Regional prelims, but it seems like it's a helllluva lot closer than i woulda had it lol. Carmel only wins music perf, shares visual w/ Avon (downstairs 1st place for Avon i would guess? maybe??), and Avon w/ effect. quickly looks at panel... hmmm... not quite as sold on the braaain tickler are we? lol

in other news here's a vid of CTJ from area today lol. some pretty major updates, love the extended impact moments. def looking and sounding better too!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8m6alA9MkpY

21 minutes ago, packwick said:

oooo Carmel over Avon as expected at Indy Super Regional prelims, but it seems like it's a helllluva lot closer than i woulda had it lol. Carmel only wins music perf, shares visual w/ Avon (downstairs 1st place for Avon i would guess? maybe??), and Avon w/ effect. quickly looks at panel... hmmm... not quite as sold on the braaain tickler are we? lol

in other news here's a vid of CTJ from area today lol. some pretty major updates, love the extended impact moments. def looking and sounding better too!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8m6alA9MkpY

Woah huge improvements from the last video I saw. It’s rlly coming together! 

5 hours ago, packwick said:

Carmel has some very spry old ladies in their guard (gray-hairs)!

This Carmel show is quite incredible. They swept every caption in finals, deservedly so IMO. Texas is going to have to bring it, y’all!  Perhaps Hebron knew it was going to be like this this year, so that’s why we won’t see them for over a week between 6A state and GN. I bet they do something crazy and unexpected at GN that we won’t see at UIL. 😜

1 hour ago, packwick said:

despite the closeness of avon and carmel in prelims at the Indy Super, overall id be feeling preeetty good if i were carmel right now. 6 of the 7 judges had them in 1st in finals albeit some just barely. dominant performance in the ordinals. not the most viscerally exciting show in the world but mucho sophisticated.

reeeally liking how cinematic Hebron's music is, like right after the opening trumpet chorus w/ the woodwind runs starting up, it's like Hebron in Space!! or something lol. great sounds. musically it's just so virtuosic, so many notes, Carolina Crownish, which is def good from a perf perspective, tho maybe a little Xtina-ish at times lol, like when she overdoes the melisma. new ending is def eye popping and provides muuuuch more satisfying resolution than old one, more like a complete hero's ending.

How are you feeling about team Texas as a whole? Obviously I think it’s safe to say that Hebron, TW and Round Rock are locks at this point. CTJ, Pearland and Keller Should make finals, I feel like Dripping Springs has got a pretty solid shot, and Bowie could, def will make semis but not in my picture to make finals. 

Seeing Round Rock's area finals performance makes me feel much better about their chances for GN finals. They have improved greatly in the last few weeks. I love the trombone feature towards the end and the soprano trombone glissando is a very effective and tasty treat.

Also, the Woodlands show is really coming along nicely and their guard is just fantastic. 

9 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Woodlands area prelims: 

Round rock finals: 

i think that's tw's area finals performance, looks dusky, they performed early for finals, like at 6:15. also the title says finals lol. can see Tiffany and Joseph sitting off to the right going nuts for the guard stuff lol.

there's also a higher up one on YT, kinda more distant but can make out the drill. surprised they all haven't been taken down, usually they're pretty vigilant about taking down vids. them and vandy have like 20 on YT rn lol. hebron's the one that keeps taking theirs down quickly. goin for the element of surprise. had to catch em last night while i could. knew they'd be gone today.

9 hours ago, LostChoirGuy said:

Thank you for sharing their names.  They deserve the recognition.  That guard book is seriously stellar and those kids are performing the heck out of it.

I don't usually watch guard for marching band because I'm always so focused on the winds but, I specifically remember the Woodlands guard at San Antonio finals last year catching my eye. If a guard is able to draw your eyes toward them and off of a band such as The Woodlands, I'd definitely call that a win. I can easily say their guard was the cleanest and most engaging guard I've ever seen in a high school marching band. They know what they're doing and how to do it the best it can be done.