BOA Houston 2019

Yep.  Looked right past them on the schedule.  So, that's 3 Finalists.

Yep - I did say it wasn't as top heavy, but the number of "mid-range" bands, in my opinion, is larger at Houston than at Austin. And to be perfectly honest, I think if Cy-Fair and SFA would have attended SA last year, the number ahead of Westwood would be a wash (11 and 11). Of course, now it sounds like I'm bashing, and I really am not. I was just trying to show where my thinking was, and how the Houston regional perhaps is overlooked as regards difficulty of getting into finals.

I wouldn’t count Langham out either, with the new marching band director change the marching aspect of our show is looking quite solid. Only downside is that we are very inconsistent.

Absolutely not. That's the fun of the early season contests - we never know what to expect! Go out and do your best, and keep pushing.

Yep - I did say it wasn't as top heavy, but the number of "mid-range" bands, in my opinion, is larger at Houston than at Austin. And to be perfectly honest, I think if Cy-Fair and SFA would have attended SA last year, the number ahead of Westwood would be a wash (11 and 11). Of course, now it sounds like I'm bashing, and I really am not. I was just trying to show where my thinking was, and how the Houston regional perhaps is overlooked as regards difficulty of getting into finals.

I appreciate the point you are making, but again - eight more bands.  The middle is going to be more crowded.

Also, after seeing John Horn at State last year, I think they would certainly have done well at BOA-SA had they competed.  And Austin also has Jack C. Hays who finished right behind Westwood at S.A.

Yay competition season!

I appreciate the point you are making, but again - eight more bands.  The middle is going to be more crowded.

Also, after seeing John Horn at State last year, I think they would certainly have done well at BOA-SA had they competed.  And Austin also has Jack C. Hays who finished right behind Westwood at S.A.

Yay competition season!

We could go back and forth on this - Brazoswood didn't attend, then Klein Oak and Friendswood were within a point of Westwood, but that doesn't matter so much, since it was last year. It just means that we can expect a tight contest for these bands, and that the competition level is quite high very deep into the field.

I would also posit that the number of bands attending has little to do with the quality of the bands attending, so having 8 more bands would not require that the middle be crowded.

And yes - Yay competition season!

I’d like to offer some input on the matter. Here is my top 10 that I listed on the predictions page:

Place 1 Ronald Reagan H.S

Place 2 The Woodlands H.S

Place 3 Westlake H.S

Place 4 Cy-Fair H.S

Place 5 Seven Lakes H.S

Place 6 Oak Ridge H.S

Place 7 Stephen F. Austin H.S

Place 8 James E. Taylor H.S

Place 9 Pearland H.S

Place 10 Brazoswood H.S

And here are the “groupings” that I had composed months ago (things changed since then; Churchill’s not attending anymore):

My groupings (listed alphabetically):

100% Locks:

Ronald Reagan

TWHS

Westlake

Comfortable Finalists:

Cy-Fair

Oak Ridge

Seven Lakes

Winston Churchill

Challengers for the last few spots:

Brazoswood

Clear Brook

College Park

Cypress Falls

Dawson

JET

Pearland

SFA

Westwood

Could sneak in with a milestone performance:

Cypress Woods

Friendswood

Langham Creek

OD Tompkins

Pflugerville

WB Travis

Interested to see how they do:

(would love to see a band in this list pop into finals)

Bridgeland

Churchill Fulshear

Cinco Ranch

Katy

Lumberton

Paetow

Richland

Sandra Day O’Connor

Westfield

The most important point that differentiates these two lists is that, in the second list, I concede that there are so many bands that can find themselves in finals given an excellent performance; the first list I do not (because I cannot). In reality, I truly believe that any one of the bands from the top 4 groupings (and maybe even a few bands from the 5th) can give a performance that screams “We deserve to be in finals!!”. They all have the vehicles to do it (a solid show) and they all have the musicianship to make it work. Performance is everything.

Also note that things can change at the turn of a dime. Anecdotal example as a Seven Lakes alumnus: in last year’s BOA Conroe topic, we were considered a bubble band for finals; most people thought that it would be unlikely (BOA Conroe 2016 and 2017, 7L got 14th both times). After McAllen, many posters had deemed us a finals lock, and then we did make finals. Very minor boasting aside :) , I hope that this demonstrates the idea that anything is possible from year to year. Maybe Westwood will have a lights out performance at BOA Austin and they will thus be deemed a finals lock for Houston. To be honest, the main reason I didn’t predict Westwood in finals is due to ignorance; they’re not from Houston, so I’m unfamiliar with how they generally sound relative to Houston programs.

Final note: Consider a “top tier” of band programs in Texas — the “SA Finalist” regulars. Now, one thing that BOA Houston can boast that no other Texas BOA Regional can, in my opinion, is the fact that Houston has by far the greatest quantity of bands *one tier under* this top tier — the most “tier 2” bands, if you will. Since there’s so many bands around this level, you get a combination of great performances with a strong vibe of “anything can happen.” I’m really glad I got to experience competitive band as a Houstonian, because I think this dynamic is really awesome.

Cannot wait for BOA Austin and BOA Houston!

Not trying to be cocky. I guess I’m biased. But I will say that this show is a complete 180 from last year. It’s beautiful, the music kicks ****, and it’s a ton of fun. Last year they had two new directors, a new head director and the a crappy show design. This year will be different.

I’ll tell you what, I’ll stop bragging on them if they finish outside of the top 15 in Austin

Not trying to be cocky. I guess I’m biased. But I will say that this show is a complete 180 from last year. It’s beautiful, the music kicks ****, and it’s a ton of fun. Last year they had two new directors, a new head director and the a crappy show design. This year will be different.

I’ll tell you what, I’ll stop bragging on them if they finish outside of the top 15 in Austin

Never stop bragging about your program - even if a season isn't what was hoped, the time and effort was still put in and that is worth being proud of. It was never my intent to imply you should not be proud of your program. The key is understated confidence early, and then being louder about it as the season goes and the results line up with what you expect. A great season isn't decided by this forum, it is decided by the members of the program on the field.

I got to see Klein Oak from the back sideline today and I was completely surprised. They don't sound the best necessarily but they look fantastic and I wouldn't be surprised if they made top 15, if not the first one out. Definitely bubble worthy.

Yes, Klein Oak gets left out of these conversations too much.  They are definitely a great group.  It helps that they have an excellent guard.