BOA Waco 2019

The only band I got to see today was Keller but I did see some odd judge activity. One judge was walking on the side of the field behind the prop for a good portion of the beginning/middle of the show. There is no way to properly judge individual performance like that??? It really caught me off guard while watching. I don’t want to undermine Bowie, I didn’t even see them so I bet it was fantastic.

The only band I got to see today was Keller but I did see some odd judge activity. One judge was walking on the side of the field behind the prop for a good portion of the beginning/middle of the show. There is no way to properly judge individual performance like that??? It really caught me off guard while watching. I don’t want to undermine Bowie, I didn’t even see them so I bet it was fantastic.

Well, just like DCI, the Music and Visual Individual judges on the field do not venture more than five yards from the sideline. I first noticed this two years ago at Grand Nats. And yes, it’s very difficult to acquire an adequate sample this way, IMO.

I'm pretty sure BOA judges can still go wherever they so please.   Judges are always all over the field.

I’m not at all surprised Bowie swept captions today after I saw their massive improvement last Saturday at TMC. They’ll be in finals at San Antonio too I’m betting.

I’m shocked Hendrickson is out. I was blown away by their show last Saturday. What am I missing? Or better yet, what are THEY missing?!

Speaking as a semi-informed layperson, it is missing a "moment". It is well performed, but doesn't stand out. There are so many things they could do visually from the era they are pulling music from, and they don't really do much with it. I'm thinking selling the show like CTJ's Flashdance - go for the things that make people think :"1970's". Spelling out numbers that most people attending won't be able to see isn't enough. They need more visual cues, more disco moves, more brown and leisure suits. Bellbottoms are only a small part and not enough on their own.

Bowie is definitely trying something fresh this year, which I appreciate. After watching Bowie and Keller, I can see why Bowie would be ahead of Keller. First and foremost, I think Bowie's visual program is much more effective, and also cleaner. That said, I might give Keller the edge in music performance. Keller did have a lot of dirt in their closer, which might be hurting them, and hopefully they can clean up by San Antonio. Frankly, I think both groups are pretty close in quality. I'm wondering if, despite the Bowie caption sweep, the scores were close in prelims.