2019 BOA Dallas/ Fort Worth Regional

Gonna be a lot of strong bands, but it’s gonna be a day filled with awesome bands!

I was gonna try and say hi to you at HEB, but you all looked pretty serious and I didn't know if you were allowed to or not. You guys sat right below us during the finals results. Great job, by the way (I go to Forney)

I was gonna try and say hi to you at HEB, but you all looked pretty serious and I didn't know if you were allowed to or not. You guys sat right below us during the finals results. Great job, by the way

Thanks a lot! Always means a lot when people like our show, which is why we do what we do! We’re allowed to say thank you when people say good job or congrats during band competition. But after wards, we can go socialize for a bit. I was sitting on the top row of our band. Came up with a group of 5 of us to join the rest of the band.

This is Owasso’s band website:

The PRIDE of Owasso marching band has received First Divisions in the OSSAA marching competition for the past 47 consecutive years. The band has performed in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, and most recently has accepted an invitation to perform, for the 6th time, in the Tournament of Roses Parade. The band will perform on international TV on January 1, 2020 in Pasadena, California. The PRIDE of Owasso also accepted invitations in 1985, 1989, 1995, 2004 and 2011. In March of 2014, the PRIDE of Owasso was named “Best Overall Band” in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in Dublin, Ireland. Most recently, the concert bands performed at the historic Majestic Theater in downtown Dallas, Texas. The marching band performed a patriotic concert on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. in the Spring of 2016. At the Oklahoma Bandmasters Association Championships, The PRIDE has finished in the top four every year they have competed, and were named Grand Champions in 1996. They have been a finalist at Bands of America Regionals in Arlington, San Antonio, Atlanta and Las Vegas and were the 2012 Champions of the St. Louis Super-Regional. At the Bands of America Grand Nationals in Indianapolis, the PRIDE of Owasso was a Semi-finalist in 2001, 2002, 2009, 2014, 2016 and 2017; the band reached the finals in 2005 (12th) and 2011 (7th).

And the last time they competed in the BOA DFW (Arlington Regional) was in 2007 and they made 8th place.

So tbh I still don’t know where to place them in a prediction. But Ik I will say that I am pretty confident that they will make a finals showing in this contest if not then it will be close.

I’d say until very recently owasso would have been a guaranteed finalist here. They’ve been a major presence in the national marching band scene for decades and have numerous grand national finalist appearances under their belt, and were 8th at San Antonio as recently as 2015. However, last year seemed to mark a pretty major regression from them. Hard to say at this point of that was an anomaly or indicative of a larger downward trend for them, but at the moment, I’d guess they’ll finish anywhere between 8th and 13th. If they do miss finals, it might be their first time ever in the history of the program (I’d have to double check that but it sounds plausible to me) point is, they’re very much in the mix for finals here

Going to be HOT! Hope everyone is well prepared. Pennington Field does not have good ventilation. Bring sunscreen and pre-hydrate

That’s what I’m afraid of. Plus the fact that the sun will be shining in full the entire day due to the position Pennington Field sits. Kelly Reeves was brutal on Saturday, but at least we did get some relief around 2:00 when the sun finally went behind the press box since we were facing East.

I was planning to attend but I’m just not sure I can stand that heat!

That’s what I’m afraid of. Plus the fact that the sun will be shining in full the entire day due to the position Pennington Field sits. Kelly Reeves was brutal on Saturday, but at least we did get some relief around 2:00 when the sun finally went behind the press box since we were facing East.

I was planning to attend but I’m just not sure I can stand that heat!

We were at Pennington last week for the HEB contest.  Had to limit our attendance in prelims due to the severe heat, but come finals time, it was very comfortable.

Hope you can still attend.  Would love to hear your perspective of the Austin v. DFW competitions.

Wakeland is from Frisco! They have a history of success at local competitions including the DFW BOA contest and 5A UIL State.

Yes...I more meant, I don't know what Owasso looks like this year, so I can't prognosticate too far...but Wakeland did well at HEB, and there was some good competition there. 

There’s a pretty good video of Owasso out there (very high quality but the angle is not great). It’s from this past Saturday. Less than 5 minutes of the show on the field (or only performed less than 5 minutes) but still concerning. The show is pretty good and the guard really stood out to me. I could maybe see them in finals but that super short show length is a huge problem.