6A Region Result Thread 2018

So with Area B and H dropping one band each not being advanced, does that affect the number of bands in the 6A final finals?  There was talk of 12 schools in finals earlier.   

We should be good for 12 bands at State Finals.  If there are 36 or more bands at State Prelims, the top 12 advance to State Finals.  Anything LESS THAN 36 bands at State Prelims, the top 10 advance to State Finals.

A lot of rain in the Houston area. Hoping it lets up before some of the last few regions have their contest

I havent seen this much rain affect a marching season since the infamous season of rain back in 2013. 3 out of the 4 contests we attended had rained out finals.

Region 18 started at 7:30 and Bowie is the last band at 9pm. So probably by 9:30 they will start announching. It's usually very quick, how quick the website is updated I don't know.

Should be updated, along with the Area D schedule, almost immediately after Region 18 ends.

I'm actually curious what the percentage of bands that get a 1 vs don't get 1 is going to be across all regions and if there is any difference based on class (1A/2A etc.) percentage-wise. I feel like judges have been giving out a lot more 1s these days vs five or ten years ago.

Hmm, that's an interesting question. I hadn't really thought about it in quite that way but if you had asked I probably would have said that over the last 20+ years the number of truly enjoyable performances has been on the rise and the performances that make you cringe have sharply declined. It's just an anecdotal impression but would be consistent with more Division 1 ratings being warranted.

I'm actually curious what the percentage of bands that get a 1 vs don't get 1 is going to be across all regions and if there is any difference based on class (1A/2A etc.) percentage-wise.  I feel like judges have been giving out a lot more 1s these days vs five or ten years ago.

2017 Region Stats (Including Non-Varsity Entries)

6A: 
207 1st divisions
23 2nd divisons 
2 3rd divisions 
1 DNA

5A
190 1st divisions 
45 2nd divisions
7 3rd Divisions
4 4th Divisions
1 DNA
1 DQ

4A
116 1st Divisions
51 2nd Divisions 
14 3rd Divisions 
1 5th Divison
2 DNA? (Region 10 bands with no result marked)

3A
101 1st Divisions
66 2nd Divisions
26 3rd Divisions
1 DNA? (Region 4 band with no result marked)

2A
65 1st Divisions
51 2nd Divisions
21 3rd Divisions
2 4th Divisions

1A
14 1st Divisions
11 2nd Divisons
7 3rd Divisons
1 DNA

2017 Region Stats (Including Non-Varsity Entries)

6A: 
207 1st divisions
23 2nd divisons 
2 3rd divisions 
1 DNA

5A
190 1st divisions 
45 2nd divisions
7 3rd Divisions
4 4th Divisions
1 DNA
1 DQ

4A
116 1st Divisions
51 2nd Divisions 
14 3rd Divisions 
1 5th Divison
2 DNA? (Region 10 bands with no result marked)

3A
101 1st Divisions
66 2nd Divisions
26 3rd Divisions
1 DNA? (Region 4 band with no result marked)

2A
65 1st Divisions
51 2nd Divisions
21 3rd Divisions
2 4th Divisions

1A
14 1st Divisions
11 2nd Divisons
7 3rd Divisons
1 DNA

This is not surprising. While we have the same standards for 1st Division Ratings, etc, it should be noticed that the number of 1st Divisions Ratings award drop down quite a bit from 6A to 1A.   Obiviously 6A schools have many more assets than lets say 2A or 3A schools. Not only that but they have more students to work with and more staff to work with the Band preparation. It would be interestng to see how many 3A schools have private lessons for their students and how many of their students are involved in other activities in school which preclude the students spending as much time with Band practices compared to students in a class 6A Band.   The numbers are very clear. This is why there is not agreement about Band Contests judging, and Visual vs M & M judging. Almost none of the 1A schools have a guard unit. Very few in the 2A schools have guard units. The number of 3A schools having competitive guard unit that compete after Marching season is over is much smaller percentage wise than 5A & 6A Bands. The numbers say much about why we see things differently in our Band performances.

That's HUGE for Area D, 6 instead of 5!  So happy for Stony Point in Region 26 getting a 1. With our focus on who is winning BOA or UIL, it's easy to forget the bands that have struggled in the past and who, by dint of just caring to do their best, start to see some success. The bands that move me aren't those that have all the props and perfect intonation and great show design,

they're the ones that are TRYING so hard. Stony Point getting a 1; that's AWESOME!

Weirdly I was always under the impression the requirements for 1st division changed based on what classification you're in.  In reality it doesn't seem that way, it seems the standard really involves some concrete level of performance that all bands must meet rather than a relative one.

Solid research dude. Props.

That's HUGE for Area D, 6 instead of 5! So happy for Stony Point in Region 26 getting a 1. With our focus on who is winning BOA or UIL, it's easy to forget the bands that have struggled in the past and who, by dint of just caring to do their best, start to see some success. The bands that move me aren't those that have all the props and perfect intonation and great show design,

they're the ones that are TRYING so hard. Stony Point getting a 1; that's AWESOME!

I'm proud of them too. One of the ladies who works for me has a senior in the SP band and I know it's been a bit of a rough ride. I'm happy for them. They have really improved this year.