6A Region Result Thread 2018

The evening forecast this Saturday looks better than the daytime.  Plus, the rain in the forecast doesn't look heavy.  I'm hoping that we have delays at worst.  Fingers crossed!

I also hope it's warm enough for there not to be major tuning issues.  I remember last fall we had a football game where the temps were down in the 40's and the band sounded VERY out of tune that night!!  

We need some more indoor stadiums.  Come on Texas!  :D  

Wow!  

Doesn't UT have an indoor football practice field down there off of I-35?  Or did that get torn down...

I'm not sure! I'm amazed Region 4 was even able to find one themselves being mostly small towns, I thought Texarkana Texas High had the only full length indoor within miles of that region! I'm sure the Austin area schools could find some, it's just tough logistically to reserve these fields last minute and get everyone in and out of fields not really meant for such large groups, Region 4 had to back every band up to perform before 3:00 pm so Sulphur Spr. could still use their indoor for athletics purposes, leaving some bands 2 hours away to likely have to leave around or before 6 am, and this was all planned the day before.

I'm not sure! I'm amazed Region 4 was even able to find one themselves being mostly small towns, I thought Texarkana Texas High had the only full length indoor within miles of that region! I'm sure the Austin area schools could find some, it's just tough logistically to reserve these fields last minute and get everyone in and out of fields not really meant for such large groups, Region 4 had to back every band up to perform before 3:00 pm so Sulphur Spr. could still use their indoor for athletics purposes, leaving some bands 2 hours away to likely have to leave around or before 6 am, and this was all planned the day before.

I guess it will get figured out somehow, but I truly don't see any good days to postpone it to before the big contest on the 27th!  

I do think UT (Longhorns) has that Bubble indoor practice field, but I guess that wouldn't work because there may not be anywhere for the parents to sit!

6A Region 5 results are in. Sam Houston and Trimble Tech got 2's. Everyone else got a 1.

That puts 6A Area B at a max of 30 bands currently. Area B cannot afford to lose any additional bands.

We still need Regions 30 and 31 to go. Last year, all bands in Regions 30 and 31 got a 1 with the exception of Weatherford with a 2,2,1. Two years ago, Weatherford got a 2,1,1.

This is nail biting.

6A Region 5 results are in. Sam Houston and Trimble Tech got 2's. Everyone else got a 1.

That puts 6A Area B at a max of 30 bands currently. Area B cannot afford to lose any additional bands.

We still need Regions 30 and 31 to go. Last year, all bands in Regions 30 and 31 got a 1 with the exception of Weatherford with a 2,2,1. Two years ago, Weatherford got a 2,1,1.

This is nail biting.

Wow! The entire fate of the band that will finish 6th at area relies on one band, and that area is by far one of the craziest, if not the hardest.

Has 24 already had their region competition? 31 Will be fine- those bands are all doing well this year. 30 is great, but weatherford is one to worry about. North Crowley is a small concern, too- but they have been pretty good. If 24 still has to go, I dont know about Plano West this year.

Plano Senior and Plano East are good, I haven't seen Plano West yet, but I work with a woman who has a son in the band.

She says they have a good show and sounds good but they have only been able to perform the whole thing once so far in a stadium setting because all of their stadium rehearsals and football games have been rained out (like most).    I was pretty impressed with them last year though, so I hope that continues this year!  

I am working at the contest Saturday so will be there to see all the 6A bands. I made sure my shift ended before they started! 

Wow!  

Doesn't UT have an indoor football practice field down there off of I-35?  Or did that get torn down...

Gilmer also has an indoor facility where they can host Bands. Problem is there is no seating for folks and the judges have to stand up above the Band.   In Nov 2002 I sat through Rain, sleet and some snow during the State Marching Contest at Baylor University. They had several students get injured during the contest and they did not have finals due to weather(probably the worst I have ever sat through). Duncanville beat L D Bell for the Gold Medal. I agree that they should have indoor facilities probably one in each area. The probably is getting the state to fund this. They also can be used for football. November this year is looking to be cold

Gilmer also has an indoor facility where they can host Bands. Problem is there is no seating for folks and the judges have to stand up above the Band. In Nov 2002 I sat through Rain, sleet and some snow during the State Marching Contest at Baylor University. They had several students get injured during the contest and they did not have finals due to weather(probably the worst I have ever sat through). Duncanville beat L D Bell for the Gold Medal. I agree that they should have indoor facilities probably one in each area. The probably is getting the state to fund this. They also can be used for football. November this year is looking to be cold

Whenever State 2002 is brought up, I immediately Adagio For Strings in my head.

Still, the most fun I ever had on the field :)

Gilmer also has an indoor facility where they can host Bands. Problem is there is no seating for folks and the judges have to stand up above the Band.   In Nov 2002 I sat through Rain, sleet and some snow during the State Marching Contest at Baylor University. They had several students get injured during the contest and they did not have finals due to weather(probably the worst I have ever sat through). Duncanville beat L D Bell for the Gold Medal. I agree that they should have indoor facilities probably one in each area. The probably is getting the state to fund this. They also can be used for football. November this year is looking to be cold

Ugh, that sounds utterly miserable.  And the tuning issues when it's that cold?  YUCK!

We need more domes!