How did you discover TxBands?

Dog885

So I was wondering, how did everyone here find this wonderful website? I found TxBands while looking for Area D 2014 results, at first I was frustrated because all of these links Google gave me weren't the official results and that it just gave me a forum. But then I decided to go back after a couple days to that forum and check it out, I was immediately hooked.

At first I found hornrank.com and then I found their predictions page. It interested me because I was reading what people thought about Keller. Especially since no video of their show was being made public (until a few months ago) and I didn't know how it was being received or what people thought they would place. And then I looked up more forums and found txbands sometime earlier this year. Then I got too addicted and would be on here during class and would miss entire lectures. But worth it.

The Yellowboard in May or June of 2006.  Back then Youtube was still pretty new and didn't have the proliferation of marching band shows that it does now, and TxB was the main hub for show MP3s at least here in Texas.  Did we have video? I think we did.  Youtube was a complete free-for-all back then with little oversight from copyright owners. 

I remember spending that first summer home from college watching Avon's Equus show (2005), Reagan's "You Never Know" (2005), Westfield's "Because We Are" (2003), "The Game Within" (2004) and "Wake From Your Sleep" (with all the great Eric Whitacre and Nobuo Uematsu selections) and discovering LD Bell for the first time.  They would become the big hyped band that fall with their groundbreaking dark show "The Remaining" (2006).  Concepts like covering an entire field with a giant fabric are pretty common now, but back then it was mindblowing.  Only a small chunk of schools back then were doing things like performing concept-driven shows that had almost a modern dance element to them and never stopped moving, using microphones and synthesizers hooked up to amplifiers and generators in the pit and covering the field in props. The early 2000s were sort of when that started taking off. I remember seeing schools like James Bowie and Cedar Park who were doing that when I was in HS and wishing we could also.  Getting to see all of the best of the best putting on these lush productions was a unique and fun experience.

Geez I can’t even remember exactly how I got here. It was most likely from meeting Daniel Sanchez (Xenon) at BOA Austin in 2015 and finding out what he does. He was live blogging for TXBands, and a fellow band mom friend and I sat at the top of the stands directly in front of him 2 years in a row. We enjoyed a lot of great band conversation with him. And I’ll still never forget how excited he got when Leander won in 2015 with NO captions. At the time I don’t realize how unusual that really was! I’ve learned a lot about the current marching band world from Daniel and from this forum. And I credit both for much of my current enthusiasm!

Same as Banddad84, but in 2015. Lurked for 2 years, grew closer to the new "Family". Not just the Hawk family, but everyone else in the stands and in this forum. Lurking here for that long reading so many great stories, comments and how we all appreciate what these programs are to the performers and everyone involved tends to pull you in.

My 2018 graduate and I are planning to make as many competitions as we can after she graduates.

Prolly gonna be the Male version of LeanderMomma and txbands will be a neccessary form of info and communication.

Same as Banddad84, but in 2015. Lurked for 2 years, grew closer to the new "Family". Not just the Hawk family, but everyone else in the stands and in this forum. Lurking here for that long reading so many great stories, comments and how we all appreciate what these programs are to the performers and everyone involved tends to pull you in.

My 2018 graduate and I are planning to make as many competitions as we can after she graduates.

Prolly gonna be the Male version of LeanderMomma and txbands will be a neccessary form of info and communication.

It’s still a blast, and my love for band has not waned in the least!

Show primary videographer/secondary photographer for the band. I'm supposed to be on the filming deck during our halftime show and would happily visit on the presentation side for Leander's show. I be in touch when I have the logistics nailed down.

Sounds great! I would love that. Can’t wait to see the Hawk Band in action this year!

One of the band parents at PESH had posted comments on our internal Facebook page that were from their show "The Bells" back in 2012 (Made by Daniel V and Daniel S).    I had to go look up what the TxBands site was and found it.  

I am probably on it more now than I was back then as I really have no kids left in "the game" at BOA, so I like to hear about all that is going on.   My last child is at a Plano school now (Clark HS), but will feed into 
Plano Senior next year.   But I still try and support the PESH band as well as Plano Senior...   they aren't as competitive, but they are fun :) 

I stumbled across this site a few years ago and started reading out of curiosity before GN each year to scope out who was coming. Really started digging in more early last year due to our upcoming trip and actually got more involved after a little nudge that it was OK to share, even not being from Texas. We lost the IndianaMarching site and I've been needing my band fix and have now discovered Dan's podcast. You all have a great site here.

Glad to have you and thanks for listening!!!

• 2 weeks later...