BOA Conroe 2018

I'd like to remind everyone after this awful disappointment:

Whenever you enter a school and think, "Wouldn't it be better if we did this?" Just stop. Schools do not operate on logic.

Jokes aside, this is incredibly disappointing. Schools should be supporting their students, but not in such a way that it ruins other programs. I'm quite honestly very very tired of fine arts being looked over in schools here. I sincerely hope the students are returned the opportunity they were just robbed of. What a failure on the school's part. Good luck to The Woodlands (and the rest of the bands) at Conroe.

I wasnt aware that bands are supposed to be the football team's personal performers. Is the football team planning to stay during halftime to watch the band's show?

Are members of the band forced to agree when they join that they will be loyal and supportive to the football team? I think that this is a very toxic message the administrators are sending that this is all the band is good for.

TWHSParent, I like your letter. I think it makes its point while being respectful. That said, it might take more than being respectful to get CISD to budge. It would probably be a good idea to ask what the senior parents did about it in 2015, when this happened last time. Clearly whatever they did then didn't work, so maybe do something else! I just find it incredibly disrespectful to the band program, especially when the contest is less than a month away.

Anyway, best of luck to you guys. Prelims or finals, you've got some stiff competition, and at least you'll get some good feedback.

(P.S. I love your band's ballad this year. I've had that twinkly, 6-note motif stuck in my head ever since I heard it! It strikes just the right balance between tenderness and incredible power. Beautiful stuff. Can't wait to see it when I return at the end of the season!)

-- and back into the shadows I go.

I wasnt aware that bands are supposed to be the football team's personal performers. Is the football team planning to stay during halftime to watch the band's show?

Are members of the band forced to agree when they join that they will be loyal and supportive to the football team? I think that this is a very toxic message the boosters are sending that this is all the band is good for.

How do you up vote posts??

So at the band booster meeting tonight, we were informed that the band will not be allowed to perform in finals, and MUST "Support the football team". Apparently it was handed down today. It was suggested at the meeting that the band parents politely ask the Conroe ISD administration to reconsider that decision. I'm working on my letter...

Oh this just makes me feel sick! I am utterly baffled and appalled by this decision. Football reigns supreme yet again!

I'm saddened to hear that The Woodlands will not be allowed to compete Conroe Finals due to a mandate from the administration.  What makes me even more frustrated is that they are being forced to play at a ROAD game instead of doing Finals at Conroe.  

You'd be surprised to know that in many other States, bands don't even travel to their team's road games.  Think about how that would play out here.  I can promise you that the administration would not say, "That's sounds good!  No problem!"  There are plenty of high school administrators in this State that consider it disrespectful if the opposing football team does not bring its band.  Never mind that about 80% of the time, the opposing crowd barely even claps for the other band.  It sucks that some people in "top brass" only pay attention to the band when they are NOT there.  Yes.  Texas.  I know.

Football is king here.  We all know this.  No matter which program, there will always be some tug-of-war going on between the band and the school board.  The only difference is how obese the anchor is on the admin side.

Yes, this sucks, to say the least!  I wouldn't blame Ms. Perez if she looks for another opportunity in a district that is more supportive of music education.  And that would be a tragedy.  

I'm saddened to hear that The Woodlands will not be allowed to compete Conroe Finals due to a mandate from the administration.  What makes me even more frustrated is that they are being forced to play at a ROAD game instead of doing Finals at Conroe.  

You'd be surprised to know that in many other States, bands don't even travel to their team's road games.  Think about how that would play out here.  I can promise you that the administration would not say, "That's sounds good!  No problem!"  There are plenty of high school administrators in this State that consider it disrespectful if the opposing football team does not bring its band.  Never mind that about 80% of the time, the opposing crowd barely even claps for the other band.  It sucks that some people in "top brass" only pay attention to the band when they are NOT there.  Yes.  Texas.  I know.

Football is king here.  We all know this.  No matter which program, there will always be some tug-of-war going on between the band and the school board.  The only difference is how obese the anchor is on the admin side.

this is depressing - I believe we have been fortunate here in SA to have a very supportive administration. While I recall the band performing at UIL region and getting right on the bus to get to a game - but while everyone loves seeing the band perform in the stands and at halftime, they also understand that those members of the band did not join to just to perform at football games but to compete in their own arena. 

My middle school child will be in the stands performing next Friday night at the CTJ - Reagan game (big rivalry- both in football and band) while CTJ is on the road to McAllen regional. it is a shame that the Conroe admin do not respect the program as more than a filler to FB games - especially a program that has won Grand Nats

This situation is honestly disgusting. I can’t imagine having such a disrespectful group of administrators. It’s obvious that they are extremely uneducated on what is best for the band. BOA finals spots are so valuable and it makes me sick that The Woodlands are forced to disrespect other bands at this contest when they clearly don’t want this. Make the football team come to a band competiton!! This is a horrible double standard that unfortunately affects one the top bands in the nation.

I do want to state for the record that Mrs. Perez came into the meeting, gave some updates, and ended with this news. She then deferred to the Booster President to run the remainder of the meeting. She answered specific questions that were directed at her (such as availability of McCullough), but she did not participate in the follow up discussion in any other way.

I do want to state for the record that Mrs. Perez came into the meeting, gave some updates, and ended with this news. She then deferred to the Booster President to run the remainder of the meeting. She answered specific questions that were directed at her (such as availability of McCullough), but she did not participate in the follow up discussion in any other way.

I bet she's pretty upset by it but feels her hands are tied.  

I bet she's pretty upset by it but feels her hands are tied.  

Exactly. Her boss told her the news. She told us. We can take further action, she can't. She handled it correctly and is not actively part of any further activities the parents choose to do. That whole "insubordination" thing: Not applicable here.

Ok. Let me get this straight. No offense is intended. These are the facts:

TWHS Football 0 and 2 on the season

National rank - 818

State rank - 91

TWHS Marching Band

National rank - 13 (currently)

State rank - no idea but will definitely go to state

Marching Band camp commonly starts 2 weeks or more before football.

Marchining Band is counted as an athletic credit as well as a fine arts elective and the students participte in music education year round at an expense to the parents that is equal to or better than any athletic program.

Aaannd, show me the differences in gpa's of the 2 programs and number of scholarships awarded per program.

This ISD needs to review their standards.

Ok. Let me get this straight. No offense is intended. These are the facts:

TWHS Football 0 and 2 on the season

National rank - 818

State rank - 91

TWHS Marching Band

National rank - 13 (currently)

State rank - no idea but will definitely go to state

Marching Band camp commonly starts 2 weeks or more before football.

Marchining Band is counted as an athletic credit as well as a fine arts elective and the students participte in music education year round at an expense to the parents that is equal to or better than any athletic program.

Aaannd, show me the differences in gpa's of the 2 programs and number of scholarships awarded per program.

This ISD needs to review their standards.

That is essentially what I say in my draft letter I posted last night (although I intentionally don't say anything about the football team - I focus on the strengths of the band). I also just saw another letter from the booster president that she made available for us.

I find this entire situation ridiculous. A band should not have to do this. I remember last year when we went to St Louis, we just had the middle school play for us. Is the district making it so they can't do what we did?

That is correct - since it is an away game, the Jr. High is not able to support. At least that is the message that was given.

That is correct - since it is an away game, the Jr. High is not able to support. At least that is the message that was given.

Wow, who are they playing? Ours was technically Away but it was against a school in the district at Burger which is also the furthest stadium in the district from us.

Let us know if there are letters we can write as well.  If it helps at all.  Heck, I would be willing to drive to The Woodlands and hold up protest signs!   :angry:  Whatever we can do to help!  

Thank you Cindy. I was clearing my letter with my wife before sending. She has approved, so I'll be sending it out (Done!). I think some of the thoughts and comments in this thread are spot on regarding how things are viewed by the administration. I also think outside of district contacts could help.

From the Conroe ISD website http://www.conroeisd.net/board-of-trustees/

Dr. Curtis Null, Superintendent: cnull@conroeisd.net

From The Woodlands High School Website http://twhs.conroeisd.net/counseling/faculty-staff/administration/

Dr. Ted Landry, Principal: tlandry@conroeisd.net

It almost goes without saying, but please be polite and supportive of the kids and the program.

Also moderators - if it isn't appropriate to post these pieces of public info, please let me know and I will delete.

Thank you Cindy. I was clearing my letter with my wife before sending. She has approved, so I'll be sending it out (Done!). I think some of the thoughts and comments in this thread are spot on regarding how things are viewed by the administration. I also think outside of district contacts could help.

From the Conroe ISD website http://www.conroeisd.net/board-of-trustees/

Dr. Curtis Null, Superintendent: cnull@conroeisd.net

From The Woodlands High School Website http://twhs.conroeisd.net/counseling/faculty-staff/administration/

Dr. Ted Landry, Principal: tlandry@conroeisd.net

It almost goes without saying, but please be polite and supportive of the kids and the program.

Also moderators - if it isn't appropriate to post these pieces of public info, please let me know and I will delete.

Not a mod, but I see no reason as to why this shouldn’t be allowed. It’s information available to anyone. I would have looked it up if you hadn’t posted it.