BOA Austin 2018

Yeah, that's why I pointed it out.  At the end of the day, I looked at my list and said "that's not right!" -referring to Cedar Ridge.  Other than that, I seemed to have it basically right.  I had the top three in order for every class except 4A where I had Round Rock in 3rd and Bowie in 4th, which I think is impressive, because I really have no idea what I am doing. Haha

Some points for the history books:

• Rouse's first time grabbing captions and first time as class champion in BOA
  • For the first time ever, five LISD bands will perform in the night show at this regional. I don't believe this is a record, but it might be close. At least, it is a record in Texas (will have to look at Cobb County in Georgia regionals) 
  • UNPRECEDENTED: For three years in a row, the same finalists make repeat appearances.
  • This is the first time Vista Ridge has ever beaten Cedar Park in a BOA competition (there may be other firsts here - will have to update when performance times come out). EDIT - this is also Vista Ridge's first time placing in the top half of a BOA regional.
  • At this time, Winston Churchill has not missed a regular season regional finals in at least 20 years. There are longer records, but this one might be the longest active stretch in Texas.

Some points for the history books:

• Rouse's first time grabbing captions and first time as class champion in BOA
  • For the first time ever, five LISD bands will perform in the night show at this regional. I don't believe this is a record, but it might be close. At least, it is a record in Texas (will have to look at Cobb County in Georgia regionals) 
  • UNPRECEDENTED: For three years in a row, the same finalists make repeat appearances.
  • This is the first time Vista Ridge has ever beaten Cedar Park in a BOA competition (there may be other firsts here - will have to update when performance times come out).
  • At this time, Winston Churchill has not missed a regular season regional finals in at least 20 years. There are longer records, but this one might be the longest active stretch in Texas.

Someone may correct me, but I believe that's actually Vista's first class top 3 placement in any BOA competition in their history.

Didn’t get the chance to watch much today, but cedar park outside top 5 makes sense given the exceptional design of Bowie and Vista this year. Cedar park’s got to step it up in design, they’re talented enough to be winning these competitions

Cedar Park has so much potential it’s crazy. Fun shows like what they do don’t use them to their full potential. However, I have never in my life been blow away by the Can Can as I was today.

Similarly, I thought CTJ (while I haven’t seen it) would have GE in the bag during prelims. But then Vandegrift takes it. I think it just furthers the confirmation that nuances and “less” obvious GE scores just as much point as what meets the eye. Vandegrift proved this point last year and may be doing so again this time around.

I expect to see CTJ/Vandegrift/ Leander medaling. Small spread between the 3, and smaller margin between 1st and 2nd if the splitting trend continues

Whats exciting is we don’t actually know the placements from prelims, since Leander is in a different class than CTJ and Vandegrift. Anyways, here we go

1. Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX 83.75
2. Leander H.S., TX 83.1
3. Vandegrift H.S., TX 82.3
4. Vista Ridge H.S., TX 82.05
5. James Bowie H.S., TX 80.05
6. Cedar Park H.S., TX 77.1
7. Cedar Ridge H.S., TX 76.6
8. Hendrickson H.S., TX 75.65
9. Winston Churchill H.S., TX 73.6
10. Round Rock H.S., TX 73.55

Outstanding Music Performance: Leander H.S., TX
Outstanding Visual Performance: Vista Ridge H.S., TX