BOA Austin 2018

CP vs CR is rescheduled to be played at Burnet tonight. But the weather doesn't look much more promising than last night.

I know for a fact that Cedar Ridge's band won't be at the game, and I wouldn't be surprised if Cedar Park was doing the same. That combined with the weather not looking much better is probably gonna keep me from making the trip out haha

I know for a fact that Cedar Ridge's band won't be at the game, and I wouldn't be surprised if Cedar Park was doing the same. That combined with the weather not looking much better is probably gonna keep me from making the trip out haha

Leander made it well into the 4th quarter before they cleared the stadium due to lightning in the area. Fortunately we got to see everything we wanted to see before we left. :)

got to visit the Vandegrift vs. Cedar Park game last week and catch both bands.

Vandegrift's got a whole new groove and swagger building off last year. Only marched the opener. Large, sweeping, well-written drill already being performed so well. Intense and difficult music choices (didn't recognize what they were). Big accel at the end of the closer. Remniscient of early 2000s shows (Lassiter vibes, almost, in terms of sheer power potential), yet extremely modern. Really excited to see where this goes.

Cedar Park. I don't know if they got new uniforms again or a new drill writer but it almost looked as if Broken Arrow was on the field. Quite a bit of show fielded! As always, look stellar marching so early on. Classic-meets-modern vibe, but they're continuing to up their GE game. Great design.

Anyways, brief notes from what I remember last week. Should be a great year for both, as always.

Did some light digging now that we're starting to get some videos. Thoughts-

CTJ- Very impressed with the level of difficulty they're taking on this season. It's like Avon 2009 only harder. It's very dirty right now, even compared to where their competitors are already at in terms of cleanliness, but if they can get this up and running it could be very dangerous. We'll see how clean they are at McAllen, but as of now I'm not certain they'll be able to take this regional. 

Cedar Park- Looking very good- I prefer this to last year, but I don't see them as champion contenders here. Could maybe sneak onto the podium depending on how clean everyone is.

Leander- A tremendous step up in design from last year. They sound amazing and have the most compelling visual design of anything I've seen yet. This could be a huge year for them

Vandegrift- Incredible sound, strong visual presence, high energy- nothing too fancy (though who knows what theyll add later on), just straight up playing and marching. This show has the makings of something special. Huge contenders for this regional title and perhaps a state championship.

My early prediction for finals:

1: CTJ

2: Cedar Park

3: Vandegrift

4: Leander

5: Round Rock

6: Bowie

7: Hendrickson

8: Cedar Ridge

9: Vista Ridge

10: Churchill

I feel more sure about top 5 than bottom 5, however I really have no clue because if i base my prediction off SA 2017, many things change.

Vandergrift is super clean. I would put them higher, personally. I also think people overlook Vista Ridge way too often. They're a stellar program and they keep getting better. We'll see how CR and Hendrickson perform after their director changes. I think they'll do fine though. They're strong bands and this won't sway them much.

My guess at this point:

1) CTJ
2) Vandegrift
3) Leander
4) Bowie
5) Cedar Park
6) Hendrickson
7) Round Rock
8) Cedar Ridge
9) Vista Ridge
10) Churchill or Westwood

CTJ, Vandegrift, and Leander - These all seem to have a really good start and their shows likely have the point potential to score higher. 

Bowie -  I expect them to be a real player again this year. I think they will start here and possibly move up by San Antonio.

Cedar Park and Hendrickson - These guys typically start a little lower early in the season. I expect them to both do well and possibly climb up, especially Cedar Park.

Round Rock, Cedar Ridge, Vista Ridge, and Churchill (or Westwood) - These are usually slow starters and less prepared at this point historically. Also, what I've seen so far from them this year would place them in the bottom third. Order for these could easily be different. Westwood has had untapped potential for many years and the director change could release that potential, so we could see them entering the finals and staying there in the future.

My guess at this point:

1) CTJ

2) Vandegrift

3) Leander

4) Bowie

5) Cedar Park

6) Hendrickson

7) Round Rock

8) Cedar Ridge

9) Vista Ridge

10) Churchill or Westwood

CTJ, Vandegrift, and Leander - These all seem to have a really good start and their shows likely have the point potential to score higher. 

Bowie -  I expect them to be a real player again this year. I think they will start here and possibly move up by San Antonio.

Cedar Park and Hendrickson - These guys typically start a little lower early in the season. I expect them to both do well and possibly climb up, especially Cedar Park.

Round Rock, Cedar Ridge, Vista Ridge, and Churchill (or Westwood) - These are usually slow starters and less prepared at this point historically. Also, what I've seen so far from them this year would place them in the bottom third. Order for these could easily be different. Westwood has had untapped potential for many years and the director change could release that potential, so we could see them entering the finals and staying there in the future.

Not to show my bias, but Cedar Ridge is much farther along this year than they have been any year prior. They could have a full show on the field (or close to it) by Austin. It would probably help if there was video anywhere online of CR.

Not to show my bias, but Cedar Ridge is much farther along this year than they have been any year prior. They could have a full show on the field (or close to it) by Austin. It would probably help if there was video anywhere online of CR.

Funny, but that entire post could apply to Vista Ridge as well. I am very hopeful that they have the entire show on the field for Austin.

Unpopular opinion, but I think Leander is in the best position to win this regional. I personally don’t think any other band I’ve seen so far is coming close visually in terms of performance and effect. Combined with a strong and already sparkly music book that should keep them closer than they have been historically in performance and high in effect, it seems the formula is there.

Vandergrift is super clean. I would put them higher, personally. I also think people overlook Vista Ridge way too often. They're a stellar program and they keep getting better. We'll see how CR and Hendrickson perform after their director changes. I think they'll do fine though. They're strong bands and this won't sway them much.

I think Bowie could end up top 3 as well.  At this point there is just no telling how it's going to go!  Hopefully it DOES go, and these hurricanes will not be a factor that day.