2018 6A State

I believe this has also been a trend since the other LISD has traditionally been the UIL powerhouse of the 5A (previosuly 4A) state marching contest. The Leander schools have hovered around the 5A/6A border for the last decade, but I think they've finally adjusted to the level of competition at 6A and will have their strongest chance to medal at the highest level since Cedar Park in '04...speaking of which...is there a video of that show out there somewhere?? 

Yes, I agree on this.  Our schools in the southern LISD have traditionally been one level down in size and dominated that for many years including a 1-4 sweep at UIL three years ago.  Now that the schools have moved up to being 6A by only a handful of students in many cases they immediately performed at high levels with the North Texas Schools with larger population.  It great to have a competitor to shoot for and I think the southern LISD will be giving the northern LISD competition for a long while.  And the Northern LISD will continue to get better with the competition as well.

We all win :-)

I found the analysis of UIL medalists interesting, so I went through and looked at finalists bands during the same period. Here is what I found:

DFW- 5

Austin- 2

San Antonio- 2

Houston- 1

DFW- 6

Austin- 3

San Antonio- 1

Houston- 0

DFW- 6

Austin- 2

San Antonio- 0

Houston- 2

DFW- 5

Austin- 2

San Antonio- 2

Houston- 1

DFW- 6

Austin- 1

San Antonio- 2

Houston- 1

DFW- 6

Austin- 3

San Antonio- 1

Houston- 2

In every one of these years, the amount of Finalist bands from DFW matched or surpassed tthe amount of finalists from the rest of the state. Interestingly, during this period no bands from anywhere outside of the four big metros have made UIL finals.

Here is a list of bands from each part of the state that have made finals at UIL in the highest division since 2006 and the number of times:

DFW- Coppell (6), Marcus (6), Hebron (5), LD Bell (5), Duncanville (4), Berkner (3), Flower Mound (2), Keller (2), Richland (1)

Austin- Bowie (5), Westlake (3), Akins (1), Cedar Park (1), Leander (1), Round Rock (1), Vandegrift (1)

San Antonio- Reagan (4), Churchill (2), CTJ (2)

Houston- The Woodlands (4), Langham Creek (1), North Shore (1), Spring (1)

Edit: will look at next highest classification later.

I found the analysis of UIL medalists interesting, so I went through and looked at finalists bands during the same period. Here is what I found:

DFW- 5

Austin- 2

San Antonio- 2

Houston- 1

DFW- 6

Austin- 3

San Antonio- 1

Houston- 0

DFW- 6

Austin- 2

San Antonio- 0

Houston- 2

DFW- 5

Austin- 2

San Antonio- 2

Houston- 1

DFW- 6

Austin- 1

San Antonio- 2

Houston- 1

DFW- 6

Austin- 3

San Antonio- 1

Houston- 2

In every one of these years, the amount of Finalist bands from DFW matched or surpassed tthe amount of finalists from the rest of the state. Interestingly, during this period no bands from anywhere outside of the four big metros have made UIL finals.

Here is a list of bands from each part of the state that have made finals at UIL in the highest division since 2006 and the number of times:

DFW- Coppell (6), Marcus (6), Hebron (5), LD Bell (5), Duncanville (4), Berkner (3), Flower Mound (2), Keller (2), Richland (1)

Austin- Bowie (5), Westlake (3), Akins (1), Cedar Park (1), Leander (1), Round Rock (1), Vandegrift (1)

This is fascinating! Thank you for taking the time to research and share.

Yes and Cy Fair didn’t make it in 16 due to their terrible time draw in 16 I think

I dont think they wouldve made it with a better performance time, but they would have been alot closer.

DFW- 5

Austin- 2

San Antonio- 2

Houston- 1

DFW- 6

Austin- 3

San Antonio- 1

Houston- 0

DFW- 6

Austin- 2

San Antonio- 0

Houston- 2

DFW- 5

Austin- 2

San Antonio- 2

Houston- 1

DFW- 6

Austin- 1

San Antonio- 2

Houston- 1

DFW- 6

Austin- 3

San Antonio- 1

Houston- 2

It will be interesting to see the 5A (old 4A) results as well.  How many times has Cedar Park won that now?  I wonder if the results could be skewed by school population sizes.  Does DFW tradionally have larger schools that the rest of the other metros?  I wouldn't be surprised if there are very few 6A school not in a major metro area.

DFW- 5

Austin- 2

San Antonio- 2

Houston- 1

DFW- 6

Austin- 3

San Antonio- 1

Houston- 0

DFW- 6

Austin- 2

San Antonio- 0

Houston- 2

DFW- 5

Austin- 2

San Antonio- 2

Houston- 1

DFW- 6

Austin- 1

San Antonio- 2

Houston- 1

DFW- 6

Austin- 3

San Antonio- 1

Houston- 2

The only problem with this list is that you have two regions in the DFW area.  So sure, you're gonna have more schools from that area at state because they have more chances to get there

DFW has a lot of 5A schools, too though many have moved up thus year. Remember that last year in finals I think 7 of the finalists came from North Texas.

Yep and the other 3 from Austin area.

2015, 5A it was 5 and 5 (LISD at the top)

2013, 4A it was 4 and 5 (LISD at the top)

2011, 4A it was 4 and 5 (LISD at the top)

both metroplexes clearly cultivating great programs.  Fort Worth is pretty close in population size to Austin and Dallas is about 1/3 bigger than Austin so you would expect based on population size there to be about a 2:1 ratio.  Houston appears to be the anomaly in this statistically as they have a big population and not represented proportionally it appears. 

Yep and the other 3 from Austin area.

2015, 5A it was 5 and 5 (LISD at the top)

2013, 4A it was 4 and 5 (LISD at the top)

2011, 4A it was 4 and 5 (LISD at the top)

both metroplexes clearly cultivating great programs.  Fort Worth is pretty close in population size to Austin and Dallas is about 1/3 bigger than Austin so you would expect based on population size there to be about a 2:1 ratio.  Houston appears to be the anomaly in this statistically as they have a big population and not represented proportionally it appears. 

To be fair many of the better programs in the DFW area are from Fort Worth and not Dallas both cities have good programs but Fort Worth has more

The only problem with this list is that you have two regions in the DFW area. So sure, you're gonna have more schools from that area at state because they have more chances to get there

This isnt about more schools at state. It is about which ones have more in finals. If we were talking about more at state, Houston would win that debate because they have historically had the most large division schools (and still do). But having more schools doesnt really matter much in this conversation if they weren't able to beat out the others for finals. It shows that the Austin and DFW areas have really dominated up top in the state competitions at the higher classifications.

I am not too familiar with the area way up there... :-)

Of the ones on my list from DFW- LD Bell, Richland, and Keller are definitely closer to Fort Worth. Duncanville and Berkner are definitely closer to Dallas. Flower Mound, Marcus, Hebron, and Coppell are more in the middle. Geographically they are close to Fort Worth but they have easier access to Dallas than the other schools I mentioned (especially Coppell and Hebron).

Completely random. But just watched Marcus 2016 for the first time ever. Yeesh, the depth of talent was insane that year across all bands. Think that show would’ve continued Marcus’ reign any other cycle.

I thought it was a little too safe of a show, even for Marcus. The marching also wasn't quite as perfect as it usually is. I haven't seen them yet this year, so I have no idea if their fall is like everyone says.

I thought it was a little too safe of a show, even for Marcus. The marching also wasn't quite as perfect as it usually is. I haven't seen them yet this year, so I have no idea if their fall is like everyone says.

07 Marcus was astonishing. If they would've gone to grand nats they would have probably broken 98 (much like CTJ last year?).

07 Marcus was astonishing. If they would've gone to grand nats they would have probably broken 98 (much like CTJ last year?).

They almost certainly would have won, yes. Scores can be an interesting thing. Also I'm not sure if CTJ would have beat Carmel had they gone. It was definitely possible.

Any predictions for the success of the area e bands? These include SFA, Pearland, Brazoswood, Clements, Clear Brook, Dawson, and many others but those are the most likely of the area to qualify for this competition.

I havent seen Pearland since Conroe but I could see them sneaking into finals.