I agree, i dont buy the "there was less competition" so it counted less - it was still a BOA scored event and not only was it the only score to break 90 so far this year - in at least the last 4 years (did not look further back than that) there has not been a score break 90 in a regional - only super regionals.

but it will all come out in the wash with 2 super regionals this weekend that have 8-10 bands ranked bands - the San Antonio Super will eliminate the speculation

It's all a grand Hornrank conspiracy to fire CTJ up and get them ready to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!  Or at least, San Antonio.   ;)

The scores this year are probably the highest they've ever been this early. While I think there's a little bit of inflation, I don't think it's all that much. I just think that the groups that are on top are performing at a level that's higher than usual. Now, do I think that these shows are better written than usual? I'm not sure I would agree with that. But a great performance will improve a band's score in every caption.

Regarding CTJ, their 90+ score last weekend was (and is) truly extraordinary. Anyone who doesn't think that they'll be fighting for that SA championship with Avon, FloMo, and Hebron will probably get a rude awakening Saturday night, if not Saturday afternoon -- although I'm assuming CTJ will be performing late on Friday as usual, so that could make it more difficult for them to come out on top in prelims, although it hasn't stopped them in the past!

I am curious to see how high the scores will go this season. Will they just sort of plateau in the low 90s before Nationals, or will we hit 95+ at San Antonio before we hit 98+ at Nationals?

I was thinking the same thing - with the bands that will be in SA and the time they still have to prepare, I have to think we will see a 95+ in San Antonio - way too many top notch programs this year to not break that threshold. but time will tell

so looking forward to the show in the dome

I have been thinking about scores and have a question for the experts.  Midland had a bunch of great bands and one "powerhouse."  Johnson comes out on top with a 90.  Well deserved, great band and incredible show.  Fast forward to SA and it has a bunch of great bands and a slew of "powerhouses."  My question is are scores pushed down in a SA setting?  Is judging comparative at all?  Or do judges judge each band individually and move on to the next band.  I ask because I see the term "the judges had to leave room", or band X played earlier and that hurt their score.  I do not know the answer but is some level of comparison involved?  I would guess there has to be but in theory there should not be.

Second question.  I believe they switch judging panels between prelim's and finals.  Is it a totally new panel or do they just shift what they are judging?(Music moves to GE, Visual moves to Music, etc.)

I think we will see some very high scores.

My question is are scores pushed down in a SA setting?  Is judging comparative at all?  Or do judges judge each band individually and move on to the next band.  I ask because I see the term "the judges had to leave room", or band X played earlier and that hurt their score.  I do not know the answer but is some level of comparison involved?  I would guess there has to be but in theory there should not be.

Second question.  I believe they switch judging panels between prelim's and finals.  Is it a totally new panel or do they just shift what they are judging?(Music moves to GE, Visual moves to Music, etc.)

1. If it was completely relative, there wouldn't be any reason to have the high scores be in the 70s during the early season and 90s during the later season. So I do think the scores have concrete values that only loosely gain or drop weight/value depending on where the contest is.  I don't think they're based on "perfection" the same way DCI scores are either....but yes, I do think they're somewhat relative (larger contests are going to have a wider spread purely based on the size of the contest).

2. There is a panel switch for every regional....For GN they use entirely different people/panels for each round....for Regionals the same judges switch roles between prelims/finals.  For Supers....I can't remember what they do for Supers.  One of the resident uber-nerds who still pays attention would have to clarify that one, I don't feel like looking it up, lol.

Pretty much. They have seven chairs with the categories on the back of the chair. They walk around the chairs listening to London Bridge and when the music stops, they sit down and choose what they are going to judge. Occasionally, scuffles ensue when the judges attempt to force their way and sit in the chair representing their preferred choice. Of course, feelings get hurt and attitudes are affected. This accounts for many of the scoring anomalies.

Heh...thats good. :D And probably not too far off the mark!

Pretty much. They have seven chairs with the categories on the back of the chair. They walk around the chairs listening to London Bridge and when the music stops, they sit down and choose what they are going to judge. Occasionally, scuffles ensue when the judges attempt to force their way and sit in the chair representing their preferred choice. Of course, feelings get hurt and attitudes are affected. This accounts for many of the scoring anomalies.

Why can't I LOVE react like on Facebook?

Why can't I LOVE react like on Facebook?

Lesser known is the Chief Judge selection process. At Regional competitions, this is done by a Rock, Paper, Scissors series and for Super Regionals, by a round of Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe in even years and drawing straws in odd years. Selection by Pin the Tail on the Donkey was removed from selection process altogether in 2005 due to too many ties. It was determined that too many judges became proficient in this medium, which removed its randomness, and also there was too much controversy over whether the target tail position should be a high tail or low tail position. Trivia fact: The straws drawn in odd years are tiny drumsticks crafted by Vic Firth.

The highest I see them is #25, in which they would knock Ridge down to 26, but considering Ridge already has a sizable reputation, they'll probably be a little lower.  I think it's more likely we see them on the "Next 10" lineup along with Park Vista, who Haltom and Ridge ranked right above at ATL.