All of the fear of Avon winning San Antonio is almost completely gone from my mind. I can see them as 4th place and no higher after what we've seen from Flomo, Hebron, and CTJ.

Not at all ready to say that. Avon live is a true treat, and they don’t take challenges lightly. Right now I have them slated about 3rd myself, but they still have a great shot at winning. 10 straight years of medalling at GN (even with meh shows in tough years), is no small feat.

What a regional!!! CTJ and Bellevue both with great shoes!! I’m still put past the insane amount of growth that Timber Creek has had! That was the first time seeing all three of those shows and the stacked up quite nice, especially after being smacked by Bellevue in the 2015 St. Louis super regional. Creek definitely has a ton of potential, and I feel like they could be a scary good band in the next couple of years

I just don't know.  I can see Reagan or Vandy sneaking in there somewhere as well!!

While we're on the topic of Vandy... I watched Vandegrift live for the first time on Saturday at TMC. Now I just said above that they're super clean, and I get that's why their visual and music scores are so high. Not trying to bag on them, but does anyone else not really get "generally affected" by them? Their show is great and they're a good band but I got bored watching them this year. What am I missing?

While we're on the topic of Vandy... I watched Vandegrift live for the first time on Saturday at TMC. Now I just said above that they're super clean, and I get that's why their visual and music scores are so high. Not trying to bag on them, but does anyone else not really get "generally affected" by them? Their show is great and they're a good band but I got bored watching them this year. What am I missing?

No, I absolutely get what you're saying. Most people I'm with while watching Vandy will agree with you. While their music is amazingly well performed, and their marching is pristine, their concepts are a bit stilted and old fashioned. Yet, it continues to work for them, and they do perform the heck out of whatever show is designed for them! They will do well in San Antonio, but I do long for more "freshness" from Vandy. OTOH, each of the top bands has a distinct personality, and someone has to be known for incredibly well done classical style shows; no one does that style better than Vandegrift! And obviously the judges appreciate their style as well.

Vandegrift is also doing some pretty clever visual and music work in their shows that’s probably beefing their effect scores. Between the piano keys and strings and the silent drill and the pre-show with tinnitus and heartbeats (two of the very very few things some deaf people can still hear). It’s not a Leander or FloMo or Reagan, but they’re pulling off interesting concepts extremely well and getting credit for it.

Vandegrift is also doing some pretty clever visual and music work in their shows that’s probably beefing their effect scores. Between the piano keys and strings and the silent drill and the pre-show with tinnitus and heartbeats (two of the very very few things some deaf people can still hear). It’s not a Leander or FloMo or Reagan, but they’re pulling off interesting concepts extremely well and getting credit for it.

Oh it's brilliantly done for sure. And there will always be a part of me that loves Beethoven's music. We played a good bit of it in my high school band and I always was excited to do so. I also love how Vandy tells the story of his journey into deafness. And the piano keys are a pretty neat visual too. Ok, ok, I'll admit it. It's definitely growing on me. :) Plus Vandy is LISD, so I admit that I am a bit partial to them.

Vandy just has it all for me this year. The gorgeous flute solo in the ballad; the overall dark, balanced, LOUD ensemble sound; the heartbeats and the piano keys and the angsty pulling on the strings...oh and the Ode to Joy choir!! I think the whole thing is stunning and I am riveted from beginning to end. It's absolutely my favorite show they've ever done.

I also think we could possibly see Reagan sneak into the very top places at SA. Incredibly played and visually they are just amazing to watch. Not just the forms and interval spacing but individual body carriage and fundamentals are quite pristine.

You can still create a very modern looking and sounding product without having tons of props, staging and theatrics.  Part of the reason Vandegrift gets a pass despite looking "old-fashioned" is because their drill has a sense of difficulty, complexity and artistry to it that other bands don't and is performed with a strong sense of confidence and poise.

Vandy just has it all for me this year. The gorgeous flute solo in the ballad; the overall dark, balanced, LOUD ensemble sound; the heartbeats and the piano keys and the angsty pulling on the strings...oh and the Ode to Joy choir!! I think the whole thing is stunning and I am riveted from beginning to end. It's absolutely my favorite show they've ever done.

I also think we could possibly see Reagan sneak into the very top places at SA. Incredibly played and visually they are just amazing to watch. Not just the forms and interval spacing but individual body carriage and fundamentals are quite pristine.

Every year I hear/read discussion regarding props. They're expensive, they're pricing out bands that might otherwise be competitive, do you like them, do you not like them, can a band win GE without them, etc. etc. etc.  Keeping those discussions of the past few years in mind, that's why I am really hoping to see Reagan in the top 5 or even the top 3. I would love to see a band prove that you can still win it all in San Antonio without props--just straight up music, drill, and guard. That's why I love Reagan's show this year as I mentioned in another thread--it's stripped down and yet innovative and fresh and raw. The kids are their GE and I'm loving it.  But GE and what it means to a judge has always been sort of a mystery so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Every year I hear/read discussion regarding props. They're expensive, they're pricing out bands that might otherwise be competitive, do you like them, do you not like them, can a band win GE without them, etc. etc. etc.  Keeping those discussions of the past few years in mind, that's why I am really hoping to see Reagan in the top 5 or even the top 3. I would love to see a band prove that you can still win it all in San Antonio without props--just straight up music, drill, and guard. That's why I love Reagan's show this year as I mentioned in another thread--it's stripped down and yet innovative and fresh and raw. The kids are their GE and I'm loving it.  But GE and what it means to a judge has always been sort of a mystery so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Just some food for thought, props don't always equal more GE. It all depends on how you use them. Speaking from personal experience Leander actually lost visual GE points in our 2013 show because the judge felt that our props constricted the drill writing and didn't allow us to have challenging/effective drill. He was correct though. 

Just some food for thought, props don't always equal more GE. It all depends on how you use them. Speaking from personal experience Leander actually lost visual GE points in our 2013 show because the judge felt that our props constricted the drill writing and didn't allow us to have challenging/effective drill. He was correct though.

Oh my goodness, those ramps were monstrous and a real PIA to build and transport!