Wait, Leander is 3A in BOA but 6A in UIL? Is that possible?

It's always weird to me, too. But UIL bases it on 9-12th and BOA bases it on 10-12. Evidently we have a lot of kids dropping out of school after their Freshman year. :D j/k

Seriously tho, we are barely a 6A school and we only moved up to 6A last year so things could change classification-wise one of these days. LISD is opening up yet another school in 2020 or 21, so we may move back down. OTOH, Leander is growing like mad. It's cray cray I tell ya!!

Wait, Leander is 3A in BOA but 6A in UIL? Is that possible?

Yep, it is. If you have about 2200 students, like Leander roughly does, and assume that all classes are evenly split, then you get:

9th: 550

10th: 550

11th: 550

12th: 550

UIL's 6A cut off is somewhere around 2150, so Leander comes in just above it. The BOA 3A/4A mark is at 1700 10-12. Leander is right under it here. If you consider that schools generally have fewer students in the higher grades, Leander could even theoretically have 2300 students but still be placed in BOA 3A if there are 601 or more freshmen.

Edited to add: Leander's HS #7 is opening in the far northeastern corner of the district. It should only take from Rouse and Vista Ridge. There might be some small shifts to the west to balance those two out, but nothing that'll change Leander's class I don't imagine. HS #8 will relieve Glenn and Leander, as it's in the far west part of the district, but that's at least six or seven years away now.

Can I change my prediction? I just saw Leander and all the stuff they've added. Let's just say....mind blown.

Color me excited! I hope I will be able to find a video of their performance on a popular video site after Saturday. I will do my best to pay attention to the live blog, but I have a football game to attend to in the evening.

Videos don't do the bands justice. I hope every band parent with a kid in BOA gets to attend a BOA event live. There is truly nothing like having that experience. I can't wait to see all of the bands on Saturday!!

Oml Leander is going to be REALLY hard to beat this year. I just watched the video and I'm in love with the show.

Heads up to anybody travelling from South Austin or San Antonio... I-35 at Oltorf both directions will be shut down at 10pm Saturday night for construction. All lanes will be diverted to the frontage roads. It's happening Friday night as well.

This will affect folks driving home after Finals Saturday night.

I agree with what you've got here. Historically all of these bands have performed really well at BOA Austin. Every year it gets a little more competitive. I do think Cedar Ridge has the potential to edge out Westlake, or even Churchill if they have a really good prelims performance. They're starting to look up.

I'm also feeling CTJ this year. I think they'll beat out Vandegrift this year. Vandy's show is interesting, but I just love CTJ's.

However, I'm not so sure about the Hendrickson ranking. They definitely belong in finals as they're quite good, but not as high as you placed them.

But like you said, what fun is predictions if they're not a little bold :)

I agree with your comment on CTJ - saw the show this past week and the sound and show were amazing - whole lotta Tuba's

Heads up to anyone coming to BOA Austin this Saturday--it is swelteringly hot here with no signs of it letting up anytime soon. 95 degrees is the high every day this week, and after my 2 mile afternoon walk today, it was just nearly unbearable. Wear cool clothes and a hat, and don't forget the sunscreen!!

so a BOA Austin that we wont get wet?

True story:

On my drive to Round Rock today, it rained for 15 seconds as I passed through Georgetown. I cursed until the rain stopped.

It rained in Leander yesterday for 5 minutes and the sun was shining the entire time. When I headed out to the football game at Kelly Reeves stadium last night, the streets were dry as a bone less than a mile from my house. Evidently the showers are EXTREMELY localized. :D

Y'all get some rest and we will see you in the morning. Let me know if y'all need anything!

Sorry Leander fans -- I just don't see it.

Disclaimer:  I said the same thing this time last year, and the year before, and the year before, and was wrong every time.

This time, I see a very incomplete show with way too much standing in formation and doing choreography, music that is not as sophisticated as they have done in the past, and a completely undeveloped theme.  Yeah, I know it's early, and they have a long way to go to completion, but what they're putting on the field today -- especially without any semblance of a closer -- really leaves me scratching my head.  There were a lot of kids who graduated and/or left the program, and the band seems a lot smaller and less powerful overall; not what I expected.

Here's hoping I'm wrong again.

Sorry Leander fans -- I just don't see it.

Disclaimer:  I said the same thing this time last year, and the year before, and the year before, and was wrong every time.

This time, I see a very incomplete show with way too much standing in formation and doing choreography, music that is not as sophisticated as they have done in the past, and a completely undeveloped theme.  Yeah, I know it's early, and they have a long way to go to completion, but what they're putting on the field today -- especially without any semblance of a closer -- really leaves me scratching my head.  There were a lot of kids who graduated and/or left the program, and the band seems a lot smaller and less powerful overall; not what I expected.

Here's hoping I'm wrong again.

As for the closer, its very rare any band has a closer on the field at this contest, usually the most that's ever seen is a quick tag ending made from the opening closer statement (however Leander won this contest in 15 with no closer on the field) as for the less sophisticated music, how so? It's another minimalistic opener just like 16 and 15 and 14.

1. Austin Vandegrift H.S., TX

2. Leander H.S., TX

3. SA Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX

4. Cedar Park H.S., TX

5. Round Rock H.S., TX

6. Pflugerville Hendrickson H.S., TX

7. Austin James Bowie H.S., TX

8. Cedar Park Vista Ridge H.S., TX

9. SA Winston Churchill H.S., TX

10. Round Rock Cedar Ridge H.S., TX

11. Austin Westlake H.S., TX

12. Round Rock Westwood H.S., TX

13. Dripping Springs H.S., TX

14. Leander Rouse H.S., TX

T 15. Austin Anderson H.S., TX

T 15. Sharyland Pioneer H.S., TX

These are my predictions as of now. Picks 1-4 are interchangeable, same goes for picks 7-10. I hate to leave Westlake out of my finalists picks, but I feel like their shows are mainly UIL material. They could potentially make finals, knocking Cedar Ridge out.

Didn’t do too bad, finalists were kind of predictable.

7:45 p.m. - Vista Ridge H.S., TX

8:00 p.m. - James Bowie H.S., TX

8:15 p.m. - Cedar Ridge H.S., TX

8:30 p.m. - Winston- Churchill H.S., TX

8:45 p.m. - Hendrickson H.S., TX

9:00 p.m. - Vandegrift H.S., TX

9:15 p.m. - Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX

9:30 p.m. - Leander H.S., TX

9:45 p.m. - Round Rock H.S., TX

10:00 p.m. - Cedar Park H.S., TX

10:15 p.m. - Weiss H.S., TX (Exhibition)