My Updated Categories...

C1-Both visually and musically great, although if they lose it, it would be because of Visual and maybe GE

Vandegrift

--

C2-Any of these bands could take #1. Strong Visual packages from each band from what I have seen.

Round Rock

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Leander

--

C3-Would not be surprised to see either take #1; but less likely due to rule changes/past trajectories.

Cedar Park

James Bowie

--

C4-Expected to be Solid Finalists. maybe an upset in the works?

Vista Ridge

Winston Churchill

Hendrickson

--

C5-"Bubble"

Same as before. Have not seen enough to make a prediction, but Dripping springs looked pretty good...

Well its officially only one week away so here are my predictions

1: CTJ-first and foremost they have their entire show on the field, and its a challenging one. I personally feel that if they can get as clean as possible in the next week, no one will be able to touch them in GE due to them having a completed show.

2:Leander: I really like this show, and I feel as though they are even more locked in than last year at this time. Its really going to come down to how much show they can put on the field and how good of a run they can have in finals. I think its possible for them to win but ctj has the edge.

3:vandegrift- this one was a toss up, personally after watching the show I still just don't feel like vandy has found that really intricate visual design to fit their amazing playing and clean marching. Just like last year I think its on the right track but just not quite there. All it would take would be a less than nails run from Leander and ctj for them to win though.

4:Round Rock- I have yet to see them but seeing that it is a grand nats year for them I'm sure they will bring something special to the table, they technically won this contest in 15 before the penalty and while I don't see them medaling I think 4th is theirs to lose.

5:Cedar Park- rounding out my top 5 is cedar park, while they managed an incredible late season push last year they tend to be pretty dirty early on, and from a strictly design standpoint I currently find this to be their weakest show since 14 but odds are they will prove me wrong by November. For now however I think 5th is a good fit for them.

6:Hendrickson- haven't seen anything from them but I feel like they are going to come at this season guns blazing after last season's success.

7:Bowie-they may not be what the used to be but they still know how to march and play with precision. I feel like they are still a lock for finals.

8:Winston Churchill- I loved last years show and I'm hoping they find a way to keep improving and stay in the hunt for finals in all BOA contests this season.

9:vista ridge- the videos I've seen look good and they've made finals multiple times before they are the most likely bubble finalist.

10:Rouse- I really feel like this is their year, Jason Robb and company have been working hard to push them to the next level, I think this year they find it.

Captions

Music:Leander/vandegrift

Visual:Leander/CTJ

GE:CTJ

Well its officially only one week away so here are my predictions

1: CTJ-first and foremost they have their entire show on the field, and its a challenging one. I personally feel that if they can get as clean as possible in the next week, no one will be able to touch them in GE due to them having a completed show.

Really? That bums me out a little. I like it when the playing field is evenly matched (or maybe I should say marched!)

It can work against them too. If your whole show is down but it's dirty and another group is 2/3 or 3/4 down but it's clean, not only does the latter have an advantage in the performance captions, but their GE may come across better too. For a group like CTJ, the overall point is a little shakier since they perform quite well, but the logic stands.

I completely agree, it will be really interesting to see how polished of a product they will be able to put out this early. I don't know that I've ever watched a full 8 minute show at Austin.

Place 1 Leander H.S. TX

Place 2 Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S. TX

Place 3 Vandegrift H.S. TX

Place 4 Cedar Park H.S. TX

Place 5 Round Rock H.S. TX

Place 6 Hendrickson H.S. TX

Place 7 James Bowie H.S. TX

Place 8 Vista Ridge H.S. TX

Place 9 Westlake H.S. TX

Place 10 Pioneer H.S. TX

Music caption Leander H.S. TX

GE caption Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S. TX

Visual caption Leander H.S. TX

Place 1 Leander H.S. TX

Place 2 Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S. TX

Place 3 Vandegrift H.S. TX

Place 4 Cedar Park H.S. TX

Place 5 Round Rock H.S. TX

Place 6 Hendrickson H.S. TX

Place 7 James Bowie H.S. TX

Place 8 Vista Ridge H.S. TX

Place 9 Westlake H.S. TX

Place 10 Pioneer H.S. TX

Music caption Leander H.S. TX

GE caption Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S. TX

Visual caption Leander H.S. TX

I've seen Round Rock and Cedar Park. I'd put Round Rock over Cedar Park.

Wow. CTJ with 17 tubas? I'm excited to see their show. Someone commented earlier that Bowie isn't what they used to be. That's too bad...because they've won BOA Austin in the past and in 2014 came in 2nd at BOA San Antonio. I think everybody forgets about them. Last year every single director had quit-they had no directors in place when they began 2016-and they still managed to win BOA McAllen and do pretty well at Grand Nats. Not as good as previous years but they held their own considering the circumstances. I would love to see them rebound from that after finally a year of stability. Their music this year is insanely difficult. Their guard is exceptional-state champions consecutively. Put all of that together and here's hoping for the comeback of the year! :)

Wow. CTJ with 17 tubas? I'm excited to see their show. Someone commented earlier that Bowie isn't what they used to be. That's too bad...because they've won BOA Austin in the past and in 2014 came in 2nd at BOA San Antonio. I think everybody forgets about them. Last year every single director had quit-they had no directors in place when they began 2016-and they still managed to win BOA McAllen and do pretty well at Grand Nats. Not as good as previous years but they held their own considering the circumstances. I would love to see them rebound from that after finally a year of stability. Their music this year is insanely difficult. Their guard is exceptional-state champions consecutively. Put all of that together and here's hoping for the comeback of the year! :)

I watched Bowie at a fb game with PF about 3 weeks ago. They looked pretty solid to me. I don't think it's necessarily that they are not what they used to be. I just think the level of competition is insane in this area and that it is difficult for any one band to be dominate for any length of time.

I'm pretty interested to see this years BOA Austin as it features all four Texas bands returning from Grand Nationals as well as Round Rock who will be attending Grand Nationals this year after a quiet few years. All in all I think this will tell us a lot about the future of Bowie, Cedar Park, Claudia Taylor Johnson, and Leander coming off an important year. We will also get to witness Round Rock possibly make a strong comeback.

Top 5:

I think a few things will be changing around a lot since last year in terms of the "strong" bands. Based on what I have seen in videos so far, I think Leander will be strong coming out of the gate with another exciting show. I also think Vandegrift will be strong early because of the nature of their show. As a result I expect them to be in the top 2 along with Leander. Also expect a good performance from Cedar Park however their show theme is just a little lack luster for me. Due to this I can see them making 3rd, all depending on how CTJ is doing (I have seen no footage of CTJ thus far). I think expect Round Rock to get 5th as they have been having some difficulty getting back on their feet after a lot of staff changes in the program and that is something that takes time to recover from. I hope they prove me wrong as it would really shake things up not only at BOA Austin but also for the rest of the season as they head into Grand Nationals.

Pack leader: Leander/Vandegrift

Dark horse: Round Rock

1: Leander/Vandegrift

2: Vandegrift/Leander

3: Cedar Park/CTJ

4: CTJ/Cedar Park

5: Round Rock

6-10:

The top 5 for me is fairly locked in. The only thing I foresee causing a break in the top 5 is if a top 5 team is just worse than i predicted. That being said, this is still a really competitive 6-10, mirroring the program level seen as 8-12 at BOA San Antonio. I think this one could really be a battle in terms of placement but I have a general idea of what band COULD come out on top just based on recent years. I think Cedar Ridge is primed to do well this year as they have been making a lot of improvements in recent years. I also expect Vista Ridge to do fairly well as they are supposedly having a better year than they had last year. Hendrickson is always a contender for a middle spot and will most likely pass either Cedar Ridge or Vista Ridge if they are not on top of their game. Bowie has been on a decline recently as their head band director left but I think they can still secure a finals spot if they perform well. Lastly, Churchill has always been right there around the final spot and they seem a favorite of the rest of the bands to take this spot this year. 

6: Cedar Ridge/Vista Ridge

7: Vista Ridge/Cedar Ridge

8: Hendrickson

9: Bowie

10: Churchill

Pack leader: Cedar Ridge

Dark Horse: Bowie

Mostly likely placements:

1: Leander

2: Vandegrift

3: Cedar Park

4: CTJ

6: Cedar Ridge

7: Vista Ridge

Music: Vandegrift

Visual: Leander

GE: Leander

I caution that I am no longer in high school so this list might be quite inaccurate, therefore if you believe there is something I missed, please correct me on it. The more information, the better.

6: Cedar Ridge/Vista Ridge

7: Vista Ridge/Cedar Ridge

I'm pretty interested to see this years BOA Austin as it features all four Texas bands returning from Grand Nationals as well as Round Rock who will be attending Grand Nationals this year after a quiet few years. All in all I think this will tell us a lot about the future of Bowie, Cedar Park, Claudia Taylor Johnson, and Leander coming off an important year. We will also get to witness Round Rock possibly make a strong comeback.

Top 5:

I think a few things will be changing around a lot since last year in terms of the "strong" bands. Based on what I have seen in videos so far, I think Leander will be strong coming out of the gate with another exciting show. I also think Vandegrift will be strong early because of the nature of their show. As a result I expect them to be in the top 2 along with Leander. Also expect a good performance from Cedar Park however their show theme is just a little lack luster for me. Due to this I can see them making 3rd, all depending on how CTJ is doing (I have seen no footage of CTJ thus far). I think expect Round Rock to get 5th as they have been having some difficulty getting back on their feet after a lot of staff changes in the program and that is something that takes time to recover from. I hope they prove me wrong as it would really shake things up not only at BOA Austin but also for the rest of the season as they head into Grand Nationals.

Pack leader: Leander/Vandegrift

Dark horse: Round Rock

1: Leander/Vandegrift

2: Vandegrift/Leander

3: Cedar Park/CTJ

4: CTJ/Cedar Park

Round Rock's show last year was more UIL centric and they made state finals. I don't think the change in the two assistant directors impacted them to any significant degree. They still have the same head director, color guard/ show designer, drill and music arranger. If my memory serves me right, they were 10th at SA last year and 9th the year before, just a negligible change. This years show is designed for GN and the rule changes.

Heads up to anyone coming to BOA Austin this Saturday--it is swelteringly hot here with no signs of it letting up anytime soon. 95 degrees is the high every day this week, and after my 2 mile afternoon walk today, it was just nearly unbearable. Wear cool clothes and a hat, and don't forget the sunscreen!!

Has anyone seen Weiss HS yet?

I'm really curious about them and Hendrickson. Weiss is starting with a total enrollment of about 800 kids from Hendrickson's old boundaries (maybe a slight drop for them?), so they've got some good talent to build off of. Experience will be pretty lacking, since Weiss is starting with only 9th and 10th grades, but they're a total wild card for now, with some great potential.

Any thoughts on classifications for the top competitors based on the BOA classifications? From BOA - Bands are classified by school enrollment, grades 10-12 only. Under our four-class system:

Class A is up to 600 students

Class AA is 601-1200

Class AAA is 1201-1700

Class AAAA is 1701 and above

Fairly certain LISD bands are mostly AAA and RRISD bands, Hendrickson and Bowie will be AAAA. Just curious if there are any thoughts.

Heads up to anyone coming to BOA Austin this Saturday--it is swelteringly hot here with no signs of it letting up anytime soon. 95 degrees is the high every day this week, and after my 2 mile afternoon walk today, it was just nearly unbearable. Wear cool clothes and a hat, and don't forget the sunscreen!!

So I bought five ponchos for nothing???????  darn!!

Vista Ridge and Vandegrift should be 4A. Leander should be barely in 3A again, and CP and Rouse more comfortably in 3A, with Dripping Springs joining them. CTJ 4A. Glenn and Pioneer will duke out 2A, with Weiss and Ann Richards battling out for class champion in A.

Wait, Leander is 3A in BOA but 6A in UIL? Is that possible?