2024 Grand Nationals May get interesting with an LISD participant

• 4 weeks later...

I really want the Leander, Rouse, and Cedar Park to go to GN! It would be so cool to actually be able to see Leander make the return while Cedar Park (maybe their first, I don’t remember) and Rouse (first time) also attend! I know Wylie is confirmed for GN, and maybe Friendswood based off what I’ve been hearing, but I can’t wait to see who else goes!

As for my eventual alma mater, Forney, it’s definitely happening in a few years. I can’t wait for the eventual trip I’ll be making to see them!

29 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

I really want the Leander, Rouse, and Cedar Park to go to GN! It would be so cool to actually be able to see Leander make the return while Cedar Park (maybe their first, I don’t remember) and Rouse (first time) also attend! I know Wylie is confirmed for GN, and maybe Friendswood based off what I’ve been hearing, but I can’t wait to see who else goes!

As for my eventual alma mater, Forney, it’s definitely happening in a few years. I can’t wait for the eventual trip I’ll be making to see them!

Cedar Park has been to Nationals twice (2010 & 2016) and has made finals both times. 10th & 5th respectfully.

26 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

Cedar Park has been a couple of times.

Went in 2010 and got 10th place in Finals.  And in 2016 took 5th in Finals.

9 minutes ago, J-Mike16 said:

Why did you laugh at my post to then basically copy and say the exact stuff I said?

I laughed because I was posting the same thing as you, at the same time.  My dog went crazy barking at something outside the front door and I didn't hit "enter" until a couple minutes after you, and that's when I saw your post.  I thought it was funny.

It's not some nefarious plot, I promise you. :)

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Cedar Park confirmed to 2024 Grand Nationals.  Just announced by head band director Christopher Yee during CP’s winter concert.  

YEP! One of my friends just texted me! Super excited for them, maybe I’ll go to GN twice depending on who attends 🤷‍♀️

16 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

Yep!  Santa showed up at the concert tonight with a huge present!  I screen recorded the announcement because I was watching it live on FB and I got the kids reaction and shared it on Instagram.  It’s so exciting!

Yeah CP ran a video clip during the concert, started off vague, but then cut to the announcement.  The kids went crazy, it was so fun to see their excitement.

Also sounds like the directors would still really like to do BOA-SA the week before. They're not certain, it would mean a lot of missed school time, but if it happens it would make the schedule:

11/4-11/5 UIL State

11/8-11/9 BOA-SA

11/14-11/16 BOA-GN

29 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah CP ran a video clip during the concert, started off vague, but then cut to the announcement.  The kids went crazy, it was so fun to see their excitement.

Also sounds like the directors would still really like to do BOA-SA the week before. They're not certain, it would mean a lot of missed school time, but if it happens it would make the schedule:

11/4-11/5 UIL State

11/8-11/9 BOA-SA

11/14-11/16 BOA-GN

Yikes. 

4 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

Yep!  Santa showed up at the concert tonight with a huge present!  I screen recorded the announcement because I was watching it live on FB and I got the kids reaction and shared it on Instagram.  It’s so exciting!

I saw and reposted Leander’s insta on my story! Confused a lot of kids from my school, but oh well. Very very happy as we’ve commented on other posts! If I’m not able to go to GN this year, I’ll most definitely purchase Box5 Premium for all the BOAs.

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

11/4-11/5 UIL State

11/8-11/9 BOA-SA

11/14-11/16 BOA-GN

OH YIKES. I really hope they opt out of Super Regionals, but it’s most likely going to be a no opt out. Really hope they have allotted homework time or something because those kids will be BEHIND on classwork.

3 hours ago, lost said:

They really should cut BOA SA respectfully.

Part of why Cedar Park outperformed the other Texan bands in 2016 was because they were one of the only in the group to have sufficient time between BOA SA and Nats given they were 5A then and were on a non-UIL year.

Yes Leander was 6A that year and literally drove straight from state finals Wednesday afternoon to the Austin airport where they boarded late night flights to Indy!  It was a lot and we had several kids get injured that week. They were exhausted from BOA SA, UIL and then GN all in a week’s time!  🥴

4 hours ago, lost said:

They really should cut BOA SA respectfully.

Completely agree.  I think it's just too much, in too short of a time.  

From a school perspective, the good news is that, according to the district's preliminary Calendar for 2024/5, the second 6-weeks grading period is ending the week BEFORE 5A UIL State.  So they should have most major tests/projects complete.  And also, they have Nov 4/5 off from school for Staff Development/Voting.  So if you really MUST have a crazy week or two, that's a decent time to do it.

But still, it's just so taxing.  This year, almost half the band was marching sick at State UIL, with zero time to recover between BOA-SA and State.  Many of them (including my daughter) stayed home sick for the remainder of the week after the State Finals on that Tuesday.  Throwing a third competition into the mix is almost guaranteed to drive even more challenges for the kids.