2019 BOA Grand National Championships

I do wish we (Vandegrift) would go full on Guard, but we did place ahead of Avon at BOA San Antonio in 2017. We were 3rd to their 4th.  And we were 2nd in prelims--for some reason we consistently do better in prelims than in finals. We'll need to clean that up for Grand Nats. 2017 is my all-time favorite Vandegrift show in the 4 years our daughter has been in the band (coincidentally the only non-UIL show we've done in those 4 years).    We didn't do a ton of props or a ton with the dance team this past season because the focus was purely on UIL. Excited to see what the show will be for 2019. For sure it will be something with big sound that jumps out and grabs the crowd along with stepping up the props and visual aspect. 

Vandegrift most certainly has the potential to do VERY well in Indy.  I am so excited for you all to have this opportunity to attend Grand Nats!  There is NOTHING LIKE IT!!!  

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a complete Apples & Oranges comparison, but just for the fun of it I took 2018 BOA San Antonio results for the confirmed Texas bands attending Grand Nationals in 2019 and compared that to the 2018 Grand Nationals results to see how they would have finished.  I know, there are lots of problems with that comparison but this is for fun so why not!?!?!?

1. (97.3) Carmel

2. (96.1) Avon

3. (96.0) HEBRON**

4. (95.6) Blue Spring

5. (95.4) Broken Arrow

6. (94.7) CTJ**

7. (94.6) Tarpon Springs

8. (94.37) LEANDER**

9. (94.35) VANDEGRIFT**

10. (93.95) Wando

11. (91.8) TWHS**

WOW!!  So with one week less of practice the SA results would have landed all five of these bands in Finals.  I can't wait until November.  I would love to see all Texas bands including Round Rock in the Finals!!  #TeamTexas

I for one loved In the Garden of Cosmic Speculation, so I’m very excited to see what The Woodlands brings to Nats without the restrictions of a State year or a hurricane (hopefully!)

Cross your fingers- knock on wood- pray for no hurricanes, and a dry fall!!! I think all the Texas bands have this same mantra!

Here is a complete Apples & Oranges comparison, but just for the fun of it I took 2018 BOA San Antonio results for the confirmed Texas bands attending Grand Nationals in 2019 and compared that to the 2018 Grand Nationals results to see how they would have finished. I know, there are lots of problems with that comparison but this is for fun so why not!?!?!?

1. (97.3) Carmel

2. (96.1) Avon

3. (96.0) HEBRON**

4. (95.6) Blue Spring

5. (95.4) Broken Arrow

6. (94.7) CTJ**

7. (94.6) Tarpon Springs

8. (94.37) LEANDER**

9. (94.35) VANDEGRIFT**

10. (93.95) Wando

11. (91.8) TWHS**

WOW!! So with one week less of practice the SA results would have landed all five of these bands in Finals. I can't wait until November. I would love to see all Texas bands including Round Rock in the Finals!! #TeamTexas

We can also hope that this fall will be back to a normal Texas fall instead a near constant deluge. That will bump some scores as well as opposed to this year.

Sorry band mom, didn’t read your post before I posted this. We’re on the same wavelength here:)

Cross your fingers- knock on wood- pray for no hurricanes, and a dry fall!!! I think all the Texas bands have this same mantra! I’m excited to see what they can do- and the extra week between SA and GN is exciting to us and gives a little breathing room.

I agree!  With two weeks between the 2 competitions, there is time to completely make a new ending if a band wants to.  And you know they will!!

• 2 months later...

Ada H.S., OH
Archbishop Alter H.S., OH
Ardrey Kell H.S., NC
Avon H.S., OH
Avon H.S., IN
Ayala H.S., CA
Bassett H.S., VA
Bayard Rustin H.S., PA
Beechwood H.S., KY
Bellbrook H.S., OH
Blue Valley West H.S., KS
Bourbon County H.S., KY
Brownsburg H.S., IN
Butler H.S., OH
Cabell Midland H.S., WV
Campbell County H.S., KY
Carlisle H.S., OH
Carmel H.S., IN
Carroll H.S., OH
Center Grove H.S., IN
Centerville H.S., OH
Chattahoochee H.S., GA
Christian Academy of Louisville, KY
Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
Columbus North H.S., IN
Davenport Central H.S., IA
East Central H.S., IN
East Clinton H.S., OH
Estill County H.S., KY
Fairborn H.S., OH
Firestone H.S., OH
Fishers H.S., IN
Forest Hills Schools, OH
Goodpasture Christian School, TN
Greendale H.S., WI
Greenfield Central H.S., IN
Hamilton H.S., OH
Harrison H.S., GA
Hebron H.S., TX
Homestead H.S., IN
Hurricane H.S., WV
Independence H.S., IA
Indian Hill H.S., OH
Jackson County Comprehensive H.S., GA
James F. Byrnes H.S., SC
Jenison H.S., MI
John Hardin H.S., KY
Kent City H.S., MI
Lake Central H.S., IN
Lake Hamilton H.S., AR
Lakeland H.S., MI
Lake Park H.S., IL
Lakota West H.S., OH
La Salle H.S., OH
Lawrence Township, IN
Leander H.S., TX
Lewis Cass H.S., IN
Logan Elm H.S., OH
Marian Catholic H.S., IL
Meade County H.S., KY
Metamora Township H.S., IL
Miamisburg H.S., OH
Milford H.S., OH
Milton-Union H.S., OH
Monrovia H.S., IN
Mount Pleasant H.S., MI
Neosho H.S., MO
North Hardin H.S., KY
Norton H.S., OH
Park Vista H.S., FL
Piqua H.S., OH
Plymouth-Canton Ed. Park, MI
Rockford H.S., MI
Round Rock H.S., TX
Simon Kenton H.S., KY
The Woodlands H.S., TX
Tippecanoe H.S., OH
Union H.S., OK
Vandegrift H.S., TX
Walter E. Stebbins H.S., OH
Warren Local H.S., OH
West Carteret H.S., NC
William Mason H.S., OH
Windermere H.S., FL
Woodford County H.S., KY

It's interesting that there are currently 9 more bands signed up for San Antonio than there are for Grand Nats. 

Bands are bailing from Grand Nationals because there are so many Texas bands coming. Texas will likely have half of the finalists at Grand Nationals. 

in 2018, if any of the finalists from BOA San Antonio would have went to Grand Nationals, they almost certainly would have made finals. Prosper made finals, and they weren't in BOA San Antonio finals. They weren't even the first group out. 

I am almost certain that in 2020 we will see some major change to the format of Super Regionals and Grand Nationals. San Antonio is, in every way you look at it, a much more competitive contest at this point. 

Kind of disappointed to see Adair County absent from the list. I always love their shows

Me too. My wife still has some indirect connections to their program, so I'll see if she has heard anything. I am certain it has nothing to do with all the TX bands, since class A bands wouldn't be impacted.

the 6 Texas programs can and should own half of the finals spots

While it is true that there have been Bands that have dropped out of GN, please note that the CA Band Ayala is coming this year. while they will not win GN, they have finished in the finals twice and won both BOA contests in the West, in SOCAL and UTAH. To be brutally honest last year they took American Fork apart in the Utah BOA contest. So one Band is adding GN to its schedule. Wish more would.

While it is true that there have been Bands that have dropped out of GN, please note that the CA Band Ayala is coming this year. while they will not win GN, they have finished in the finals twice and won both BOA contests in the West, in SOCAL and UTAH. To be brutally honest last year they took American Fork apart in the Utah BOA contest. So one Band is adding GN to its schedule. Wish more would.

I wish more bands would as well. I’m also excited to see Vista Murrieta heading to San Antonio.

I’m headed to California for 3 weeks next Saturday. Wish I was going to be there for some BOA SoCal and NoCal competitions! Maybe one day I will visit in the fall.

The reason why most CA Bands do not compete in BOA is  that there are to many circuits for Bands to compete in out there. Look at this list and you will see why we do not see more CA Bands.

SCSBOA      They have both Field and Parade Contests throughout Southern CA  Different field rules

NCBA           They run all the Parade and some Field Contest in Northern CA. Totally different rules than SCSBOA in both areas

WBA             They run their own circuit for schools in CA, NV, AZ and have their own championships

MBOS           They run contest in Southern CA and Nevada. Again different rule

GSJA            A new circuit in the mix. Primarily in Northern CA

CSJA            Another judging circuit sponsoring contests.

BOA              Last in the list.

All these circuits have their own rules, with all except BOA using size of Band for classification instead of size of School like BOA does. It is not unusual to see a school with 4,000 students in Class !A, 60 members or less in the Band competing against really small enrollment schools.  I wish they would work to have a agreement about how to judge their Bands out there. I have hoped for that for many years, it has not happened. As one of My friends said, " How do you expect CA to ever send many Bands to BOA with so many different rules and formats of Contests here. . Also remember on CA has Two AAA  Auto Clubs, Automobile club of Southern CA and California State Automobile Association in the North.  They cannot even be unified in Auto Clubs why would you expect our School Bands to work together

I hope you can get out to CA in the fall, What I am saying is that going to the BOA Contests will not necessarily show you the States best Bands since they are pulled so many different ways.

Well we know that the state of California itself is a bit of a (albeit beautiful) mess, so it’s not really surprising that the band contests and rules are as well.

They have some INCREDIBLE indoor guards and percussion groups though. I mean unbelievably good!

Can't forget their drum corps as well, lol. Three finalists, two medals, and one of them champion says a lot.