UIL 6A 2023 State Marching Band Contest (Oct. 30. & 31)

LeanderMomma

2 minutes ago, Bad.robot said:

Just found this in section 1107 (state competition). 

Performance regulations as listed under Section 1105 shall apply to the state marching band contest with the following exception: Any band that leaves the field in less than five minutes or fails to complete its performance in eight minutes shall be disqualified.

Thanks and I stand corrected.  Just also found that although It refers to 1105 for State it does say disqualification.

"Performance regulations as listed under Section 1105 shall apply to the state marching band contest with the following exception: Any band that leaves the field in less than five minutes or fails to complete its performance in eight minutes shall be disqualified."

4 minutes ago, Bad.robot said:

Just found this in section 1107 (state competition). 

Performance regulations as listed under Section 1105 shall apply to the state marching band contest with the following exception: Any band that leaves the field in less than five minutes or fails to complete its performance in eight minutes shall be disqualified.

Will they actually do it though?

Just now, Dallas Hobbs said:

That rule is honestly archaic and callous. A disqualification for going over by a few seconds? I understand that judges want things to be done in a timely manner but for Christ sake, have some sympathy! The penalty should be way less severe

I agree but how do you do it when the UIL scoring system is a ranking?

2 minutes ago, balumni2023 said:

I can't even imagine how heartbreaking it must be for those students to give a solid performance and find out they got disqualified for being a few seconds over. UIL needs to definitely be more lenient!

until UIL goes to a scoring system that isnt an ordinal they  will not have a way to assess penalties. BOA deducts tenths of points but the way that  UIL does it  that wont work

Just now, tubapop said:

This is on the directors, not the uil and certainly not the kids.

This, 100%.

If you're going to have a rule, you enforce it.  Otherwise, it isn't a rule.

If there was some logistical interference that delayed their start, something related to the facility itself or restricting the band from starting their setup (which is all under UIL control) I see that as a basis for appeal.  Short of that, I got nothing.

Just now, ViewFromTheBox said:

First off, this situation definitely sucks, and my heart goes out to the Waxahachie kids.

But a rule is a rule, and it has to be enforced. Band directors know this.

Since we're in football season as well, how is this any different than a kid committing an obvious penalty, like pass interference in the end zone, that effectively ends their season? And that happens a lot.

I agree that the UIL should look at that rule (and frankly how their contests are scored entirely) in the offseason, but you have to enforce the rules that everyone is competing by. I guarantee that no UIL official wants to have to make that decision.

it’s a rule everyone plays by. Many shows end 15-30 seconds early to provide some cushion. By pushing the show to 8 minutes, it’s a risk/reward. If it’s not enforced, they get the benefit of extra show elements that they get judged on. 

1 minute ago, ViewFromTheBox said:

First off, this situation definitely sucks, and my heart goes out to the Waxahachie kids.

But a rule is a rule, and it has to be enforced. Band directors know this.

Since we're in football season as well, how is this any different than a kid committing an obvious penalty, like pass interference in the end zone, that effectively ends their season? And that happens a lot.

I agree that the UIL should look at that rule (and frankly how their contests are scored entirely) in the offseason, but you have to enforce the rules that everyone is competing by. I guarantee that no UIL official wants to have to make that decision.

The difference is the kids didn’t commit a penalty themselves; as well any football coach will admit to you straightforward that a game isn’t won or lost off of one penalty.

There are better infractions to decide upon than DQ-ing a band for 3 seconds exiting the field. That’s why I stated the rule needs to be revised to be more reasonable.