2023 BOA DFW (Oct. 7)

LeanderMomma

I attended finals for this comp for the first time and I just have to say that this competition is actually insane. Each band performed at such a high level. The LISD schools are just so dedicated to their craft and it's amazing to see them perform. Wakeland has such a powerful sound and is an outstanding 5A program. I can't wait to see how much each band develops over the course of the marching season!

Congratulations to Hebron on the win...sucks about the whole electronic issue at the beginning of the show, but it seems there was no penalty, and they got the dub! congrats to Marcus on second, I do agree that Flomo's show is more UIL, and I could see them in the top 3 for sure, we could very well possibly get a Lewisville ISD sweep. But anyways, congrats to all our finalists, can't wait to see a lot of these programs live at Prosper next weekend! 

49 minutes ago, propDad23 said:

So you're saying if only schools like Southlake Carroll and Coppell only had more money they would win?

These kids all work their butts off and to chalking it up to money and bias is an unfair insult to all these programs. 

Completely disagree. BOA is the professional sport of the Marching heavy weights. Professional sports have had salary caps for years. No one denied that the players or kids in this case work their butts off.

Yes, the kids work very hard for all programs. I would never say they did not, but when you start looking at props and the written program you cannot get those without major expenses. Writer don't come cheap and the best only work for the ones who are the best and that includes how much their paid.

4 hours ago, crunchycookie3 said:

For example, Bell was the only school in finals with a majority of their students classified as economically disadvantaged, and they placed the highest in the bottom six! Truly a feat for that program. To reduce a program’s performance to money alone is definitely not a fair argument- all students work ridiculously hard to overcome a plethora of obstacles.

Waxahachie HS has the exact same % of economically disadvantaged students as Bell and a significantly lower academic standing.  Still, the point remains that boiling it down to money isn't fair to the effort that everyone puts in.

4 hours ago, Band Dad 2021 said:

Just putting this out there… there was one top 5 winner with very little to no props… just tight marching and amazing music. Lots of props might help in BOA, but there’s still a big place for practice and precision.

Good luck all!

Love that I was not the only one to notice. 

1 hour ago, itsstephenyo said:

Your whole argument is based on the idea of marching band being a professional sport. News flash, it ain't. These are teenagers studying algebra, English, history,  chemistry, etc. They don't get paid to do any of this. 

Hebron is the least well-off of Marcus/FloMo/Hebron. As someone else said, SLC and Coppell are also very well off areas of North TX. If your argument that money is the most important metric for the success of a band, then that alone invalidates your claim. Marcus placed 2nd with minimal props, just stupidly good playing and marching. Is that also because of money? 

Instead of griping and crying about, "OH THE MONEY!", why don't you just sit back and enjoy the amazing products Texas bands put out year in and year out? We're spoiled here in TX. Every competition in TX is a nationals level competition. 

This is all true, but being Hebron wouldn’t be possible without the finances to go along with it. To be a powerhouse band program, the first thing you need is kids who work hard, the 2nd is directors who inspire them to, and the 3rd thing is money.  Not just any school can become Flower Mound. Chances are if you live in a well off area, you’re high school band will be at least pretty alright. If you live in an economically struggling area, 9/10 times the band program isn’t so great. 

6 hours ago, JFNDOWBFAN said:

My last BOA Bedford post. “Fun with Numbers”

Rockwall finished 16th in prelims with a 77.2. Was curious how that score would compare at other BOA’s this year. 

Now must suspend reality in that each one has different judges. But for sake of numbers, will pretend all is the same. 

77.2 makes finals at all other 14 BOA events and places first at several. 

This isn’t a bitter post. Its admiration at all of these amazing bands that put in hours and hours of work each week on top of keeping up with their school work. If your band student marched at BOA Bedford, this band dad is proud of each of you. March and study hard these next few weeks!

Where Rockwall would have been…

BOA Prelims

Where would RHS have fallen!

Bedford 77.2 (16) No Finals

Flagstaff (7)

Katy (8)

Memphis (6)

Toledo (5)

Des Moines (3)

McAllen (7)

Midland (4)

Shenandoah (2)

Austin (7)

Chattanooga (1)

Las Cruces (1)

Obetz, Ohio (2)

Louisville (4)

Whitewater (1)

goes to show how stacked this contest was this year with some amazing bands missing finals

On 10/7/2023 at 5:18 PM, Vidal28 said:

I’m not surprised at these results personally, even though Forney was good, I thought they played their cards a bit to safe, similar to maybe Lone Star somewhat, they both are fantastic groups though and are definitely gonna respond!! This was a really tough finals pool to crack!

don’t worry, we’re changing stuff 😉😉

• 3 months later...