2023 BOA San Antonio Super Regional (Nov. 3 & 4)

LeanderMomma

I am doing mine based on panels this is what I got:

Panel 1

1. Vandegrift 

2. Rouse 

3. Cedar Park 

4. Cedar Ridge

5. Westwood

6. Westlake 

Panel 2

1. Vista Ridge

2. Ronald Reagan

3. Round Rock

4. Bridgeland

5. Claudia Taylor Johnson

6. Leander

7. Lake Travis

8. James Bowie

9. McNeil

10. Winston Churchill 

Reagan was great!! gonna have to ask my brother in law what all the Dave Matthews music was, don't know any of it lol. they had a pretty nasty fall in the upper brass during the trombone feature, looks like the kid got pretty badly trampled. hope they're ok!! seemed to recover well.

the two sided flags at the end are just gorgeous!!

I am coming in to this season very, VERY late. 

I have two questions right now:
Who gave Rouse the Magic Juice? (I know that they were going to end up here at some point but man they sound AMAZING this year and I think they just might win state next week!)

Why isn't Hebron here? I know that they are going to Nationals but I wish they didn't skip out on SA. 

31 minutes ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

Who gave Rouse the Magic Juice? (I know that they were going to end up here at some point but man they sound AMAZING this year and I think they just might win state next week!)

Why isn't Hebron here? I know that they are going to Nationals but I wish they didn't skip out on SA. 

It’s cause it’s too expensive apparently (even though I’m sure they probably have the funding, but I’m all for saving money).

1 hour ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

It’s cause it’s too expensive apparently (even though I’m sure they probably have the funding, but I’m all for saving money).

You underestimate how expensive a grand nationals trip is. Feels weird to mention that they (probably have the funding)

21 hours ago, Hard Core Band Fan said:

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I think they will be fairly placed. BOA scoring is way more accurate than UIL scoring. 

I’m sure Cedar Park will place decently. It’s just that being one of the first bands to go isn’t ideal. Even if Cedar’s run is amazing, their show becomes more forgettable if any bands going later blow the judges away.

3 hours ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

I think some people have underestimated Rouse this year just because they are a 5A band and don't have over 300 kids blasting horns, so they get put low on the prediction pole. But what if... they made finals and gave the performance of their lives and actually got 1st??? It could happen after what I saw last night. 

1 minute ago, goombatrony said:

I think some people have underestimated Rouse this year just because they are a 5A band and don't have over 300 kids blasting horns, so they get put low on the prediction pole. But what if... they made finals and gave the performance of their lives and actually got 1st??? It could happen after what I saw last night. 

They’re a lock for finals, that’s for sure. They’re probably gonna win AAA as well. I actually have Rouse in 1st Place for my state predictions. They’ve been on top of most other Leander ISD schools since the beginning of the season, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they place somewhere within the top half of finalists.

31 minutes ago, CDLune VA said:

I’m sure Cedar Park will place decently. It’s just that being one of the first bands to go isn’t ideal. Even if Cedar’s run is amazing, their show becomes more forgettable if any bands going later blow the judges away.

Isn't the scoring for cedar park a done deal by the time the later bands go on? If anything they may be judged more critically earlier on, but I don't think forgetting their performance is the issue. 

13 minutes ago, tubapop said:

Isn't the scoring for cedar park a done deal by the time the later bands go on? If anything they may be judged more critically earlier on, but I don't think forgetting their performance is the issue. 

I guess it depends on if judges are able to change their numbers in competition suite. Also, it’s important to remember that judging BOASA SR is no small task and BOA does their best to hire the best judges they can. Early performance times are notorious for giving bands lower placements though.
At state, only 2 bands before noon made finals. Of course the schedule had something to do with that but probably not all of it!   

17 hours ago, VistaGuardDad said:

I quite enjoyed CTJ's show. The flamingos running around the field and the flamingo formations were fun. 

I can't help but think though that being fun hurts them. It always seems to me that fun shows are penalized by judges.

I have always said this. I personally LOVE CTJ's shows every year. They definitely go over the top with props, dress, etc. I think it makes for a fantastic show. And it's the one me (and my band kid) look forward to most every year. It's also insane how they keep adding even MORE elements every week, even going into the very last show. That's nuts and insanely hard to pull off. But I think judges tend to like more traditional shows, and that hurts them. But don't ever change, CTJ, because we love it.