2023 WGI: The Slay All Day Thread

Rubisco

There were an awful lot of guards in that back half of the A group that had me thinking, "Is this really an A guard?!" There were just so many talented groups, and they seemed to feature an awful lot of above-class skills.

Some of my favorites included Walton, Salem, Franklin, Clear Brook, and Dobyns-Bennett. Clear Brook gave a great performance, clearly stronger in my opinion than the two preceding them, so I'm hoping they're safe for a medal.

Dobyns-Bennet was just spectacularly good -- one of the best A class shows I've ever seen. It's just filled to the brim with personality, and irony, too. Who would think to do Celine Dion music for a show like this? It's sophisticated camp. The reveal (and romancing) of Frankenstein was hysterically funny. The only thing that gives me pause is that a lot of it really seemed above class. The speed, just the sheer fluency of the performers was remarkable. And that entire line of traveling tosses at the end? Holy cow! But I suppose the very top of the class should look at least a little like an Open guard. Err... a lot like an Open guard, I guess. 😄

33 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

Dobyns-Bennet was just spectacularly good -- one of the best A class shows I've ever seen.

Absolutely agree with you. Insanely good. I was thrilled I saw it live in semifinals earlier today because I sat down low and it was in the Nutter center which is more cozy and close feeling. I was absolutely blown away. DB totally deserves that win and would easily have made finals in the Open Class this season as well. 

SOMERSET!!! ACADEMY!!! Completely nailed it. Nobody is touching that. 

Mt. Carmel also totally nailed their show. So clean! It’s such a cool show. They only have 10 members but have such a strong presence.

Also loved both Milford and Centerville. Very different shows, both equally as emotionally powerful. Not perfect performances from either but I think Milford should hold onto the bronze just based on the score gap in semis. 

Just now, Origin said:

SOMERSET!!! ACADEMY!!! Completely nailed it. Nobody is touching that. 

Mt. Carmel also totally nailed their show. So clean! It’s such a cool show. They only have 10 members but have such a strong presence.

Also loved both Milford and Centerville. Very different shows, both equally as emotionally powerful. Not perfect performances from either but I think Milford should hold onto the bronze just based on the score gap in semis. 

I'm gonna get a lot of hate for saying this, but I thought Mt. Carmel was much more enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, Somerset Academy did awesome, but I was not fully into the show as I was with Mt. Carmel.