UIL 5A State Marching Contest 2023

Dave609

20 minutes ago, Detroit Rock City said:

After seeing Cedar Park last week, there is no way they don't win State again and it won't be close.  My kids have competed against them for the past 6 years and they looked really strong last week already. I was amazed at how cleaned they looked so early in the season.   

Cedar Park is going for the Georgetown record and I love it XD

2 hours ago, Detroit Rock City said:

After seeing Cedar Park last week, there is no way they don't win State again and it won't be close.  My kids have competed against them for the past 6 years and they looked really strong last week already. I was amazed at how cleaned they looked so early in the season.   

Yeah….

1 hour ago, LeanderMomma said:

Why do I actually feel physically ill knowing that the NFHS network is broadcasting the UIL SMBC again this year. Please oh please do a better job this year!  😭🙏🏼😔

I can only hope that the mountain of strongly worded emails they received last year caused them to seek some advice from Box5 or at least Flo.

I've said it before, but NFHS is not some small startup. It is owned by Paramount Global, who you might recognize as the owners of Top Gun, Spongebob, Star Trek, TMNT, Mission Impossible, Rugrats, NCIS, South Park, Survivor, Loud House, and a countless list of other big IPs. They own CBS, which routinely broadcasts professional events including the Super Bowl and Final Four.

That being said, Paramount has struggled mightily over the past year. I won't go into much detail here, but big media has generally seen massive losses stemming from a rushed transition from cable and physical media to streaming (hence the current actor's and writer's strikes). Paramount is largely thought of as the biggest loser out of them all. I wish that they could upgrade the production to a level that the participants deserve, but with all the financial issues I've mentioned I'm not sure if it would be in the cards.

2 minutes ago, FormerWildcat said:

I've said it before, but NFHS is not some small startup. It is owned by Paramount Global, who you might recognize as the owners of Top Gun, Spongebob, Star Trek, TMNT, Mission Impossible, Rugrats, NCIS, South Park, Survivor, Loud House, and a countless list of other big IPs. They own CBS, which routinely broadcasts professional events including the Super Bowl and Final Four.

That being said, Paramount has struggled mightily over the past year. I won't go into much detail here, but big media has generally seen massive losses stemming from a rushed transition from cable and physical media to streaming (hence the current actor's and writer's strikes). Paramount is largely thought of as the biggest loser out of them all. I wish that they could upgrade the production to a level that the participants deserve, but with all the financial issues I've mentioned I'm not sure if it would be in the cards.

I don't really think it's a money problem. It's more a problem of unfamiliarity with the activity. The issue with the NFHS broadcast wasn't image/audio quality (okay maybe a little with the odd Instagram filter color grading) but more an issue of poor mic placement, having absolutely no idea where to look and when, bad camera angle placement (like the weird fish eye lens) and clearly not being ready for the volume that the bands put out in terms of the mic balancing. Ironically the best recording of shows each and every year remains the head band directors IPAD Pro in the press box.  

31 minutes ago, natertater21000 said:

The issue with the NFHS broadcast wasn't image/audio quality (okay may

Ohhhh but it was!  😩😩😩

I even did a side by side comparison last year on Instagram between Box5 and NFHS, and the difference was atrocious. I was also one of the people who emailed UIL begging them not to repeat the same mistake but it looks like our pleas were not enough this time. If it’s as bad this year as last, I hope enough people will complain to get it changed!

On 8/16/2023 at 5:09 PM, BigBassBoi said:

I'm gonna make a bold prediction:

Argyle wins state

Their drill and visuals they showed looked super clean for this part of the season and they looked to be ahead of some area B groups already but I think their size is going to hold them back. They just sound not that strong even towards the end of the season. You can get away with a smaller group in 4a but definitely not in 5a. If they do make state they probably will finish in the middle of the pack at best in prelims.

4 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

Ohhhh but it was!  😩😩😩

I even did a side by side comparison last year on Instagram between Box5 and NFHS, and the difference was atrocious. I was also one of the people who emailed UIL begging them not to repeat the same mistake but it looks like our pleas were not enough this time. If it’s as bad this year as last, I hope enough people will complain to get it changed!

I was more referring to the quality of equipment, I should've been more specific 😅

They had multiple large cameras, moveable rigs, the whole nine yards. They just utilized like they had opened them up the day before. 

5 hours ago, natertater21000 said:

...Ironically the best recording of shows each and every year remains the head band directors IPAD Pro in the press box.  

no LITERALLY and UNIRONICALLY these are goated

whenever I sift through youtube for band videos, I always love the ipad/iphone recordings from a good spot. I feel like their recording quality is awesome, and seeing people react is always fun

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2023 at 3:28 PM, Detroit Rock City said:

Wakeland's show is looking REALLY good, so I wouldn't call it just yet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2023 at 3:40 PM, LeanderMomma said:

Ohhhh but it was!  😩😩😩

I was watching the Woodlands perform in state through broadcasting (I don’t even attend The Woodlands HS, I just decided to be haha funny after watching them at Super Regionals). I did not like how the camera angles were, and overall felt like lower quality compared to Box5

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2023 at 3:28 PM, Detroit Rock City said:

I think Rouse might have something to say about that. 😉

14 minutes ago, Flute goddess said:

After seeing McKinney North this weekend I am wondering how well they will be doing. How do you judge a show like that?

It's cute and entertaining, but not a marching band show in my opinion.

After seeing them at Wylie, while I think they will do well at area, I wouldn’t be and think Argyle will beat them. IMO the top 4 out of Area B are Wakeland, Lonestar, Lebanon Trail and Argyle, with North being first out. I could see Independence making a run for it, but I’ve got a feeling that’s what the top 4 will be in some shape and form 

On 8/28/2023 at 11:12 AM, bxOxAxUIL said:

In Alphabetical order I think the finalists could be: 

Aledo 

Cedar Park

Forney 

Foster 

Friendswood 

Henderickson 

Jack C. Hays 

Leander 

Lone Star 

McKinney North 

Rouse 

Wakeland 

After a few weeks, I have made a slight tweak in the finalist prediction, this is just my opinion and I am in no way an expert:

Aledo 

Cedar Park

Forney 

Foster 

Friendswood 

Henderickson 

Jack C. Hays 

Leander 

Lone Star 

Roma 

Rouse 

Wakeland 

18 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

I think Rouse might have something to say about that. 😉

So, while I think Rouse is going to have an amazing season I am not 100% sold on them over Cedar Park. I believe that this Rouse show is going to hurt some feelings throughout the season. At Austin BOA, Rouse made their points against Cedar Park in music. cedar Park tends to wait until the last 2 weeks to really clean up music and dynamics. they have always struggled in the GE department. This season the show is not only a GE monster but it also does what no other 5A band is doing --exposing every member while placing high demand on them. This season feels a lot like 2019 when Rouse beat CP at every show....until finals at UIL. This season I just don't see Requiem having the top end finish8ng kick that I can see developing from Cedar Park. I believe they are going to finish 1-2 in UIL this season but I get the feeling thay they places are going to switch in either semi-finals or finals. Excited to see how it turns out, especially with this most likely being CP's last year in 5A.