2023 BOA Grand National Championships (Nov. 9-11)

josephbandfan

1 hour ago, tubapop said:

I don't know if Lost and Hardcorebandfan have children, but if you're a parent, part of your job is teaching your children healthy ways to cope with stress and maintain good mental health. And that often means saying no to things to simplify your life. So yeah, I agree that teaching them to juggle a lot of balls at once is a valuable life skill, but another valuable life skill is understanding when you are at your limit and slashing things from your life that are diminishing your mental health. 

Thanks for the parenting advice! I am an old man and my children went through band programs before the generation that needed cry closets and safe spaces. I wasn't really disagreeing with what you guys were posting about, but the fact that you couldn't have anyone have a different opinion from your own. Anyone that even appears to disagree with you is a bad person or a bad parent. My kids, now thriving and productive adults, were/are tough and can handle what life dishes out for them. That is really my only point. Life is hard and not fair and difficult. I find it so amusing that so many people only respect people who agree with them. Actually, it's just pitiful.

1 hour ago, tubapop said:

You're reading quite a bit into what have been pretty objective, thoughtful replies. I (and as far as I can tell, the others who agree with me) haven't once criticized your parenting methods or your views. I mentioned I didn't like the idea of loosening the 8 hour rule in my first post, and in my second post, I gave more details as to why. At no point have I expressed an inability to appreciate other points of view, nor have I accused anyone of being a bad parent, nor have I said or implied I disrespected you. But you have been heaping scorn upon the rest of us, for some unknown reason. 

Thanks for making my point. Couldn't have done it better myself.

I. Am. So. Freakin. Confused. 

I think the 8 hour rule is pretty useful. I think Texas bands can still achieve incredible heights within the current UIL restrictions even. I also am ok with people agreeing and disagreeing with that opinion. I am however, at a complete loss as to where this entire topic disintegrated into absolute chaos. 

4 hours ago, tubapop said:

You're reading quite a bit into what have been pretty objective, thoughtful replies. I (and as far as I can tell, the others who agree with me) haven't once criticized your parenting methods or your views. I mentioned I didn't like the idea of loosening the 8 hour rule in my first post, and in my second post, I gave more details as to why. At no point have I expressed an inability to appreciate other points of view, nor have I accused anyone of being a bad parent, nor have I said or implied I disrespected you. But you have been heaping scorn upon the rest of us, for some unknown reason. 

This is the strangest bit, I just don't understand the immediate and unnecessary snap to an aggressively defensive posture.

Anyway, I appreciate your thoughtful responses, and I've echoed them with my own sentiments.  As I stated before, there are most certainly other opinions out there, and that's what sparks open discussion.  

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

This is the strangest bit, I just don't understand the immediate and unnecessary snap to an aggressively defensive posture.

Anyway, I appreciate your thoughtful responses, and I've echoed them with my own sentiments.  As I stated before, there are most certainly other opinions out there, and that's what sparks open discussion.  

I just feel like something got lost in translation somewhere along the way.  😳

6 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

I. Am. So. Freakin. Confused. 

I think the 8 hour rule is pretty useful. I think Texas bands can still achieve incredible heights within the current UIL restrictions even. I also am ok with people agreeing and disagreeing with that opinion. I am however, at a complete loss as to where this entire topic disintegrated into absolute chaos. 

Dunno.  A few of us stated an opinion in support of the 8-hour rule, and outlined our reasoning why.

It seems like others may disagree with supporting that rule, but nobody's stated anything specific about how or why, so I'm completely lost as to what the dissenting opinion might be.

11 hours ago, tubapop said:

It's not puzzling at all. My children are high achievers. They are in as many AP and honors classes as their schedules will allow. They go to bed at midnight and wake at 5am every single day, and sometimes my son goes to bed at 2am, wakes at 5am, and sneaks in a nap during the day. At the end of the semester, during finals, they are so stressed they eventually break down sobbing. I encourage them to take fewer honors classes but they refuse. My daughter spends countless hours practicing in band, attending football games, going to contests. The week of 6a state/boasa was rough on her because she was gone for nearly an entire school week, then fell sick and missed more school, and had to make it all up without missing the NEW material that was being taught. 

I don't know if Lost and Hardcorebandfan have children, but if you're a parent, part of your job is teaching your children healthy ways to cope with stress and maintain good mental health. And that often means saying no to things to simplify your life. So yeah, I agree that teaching them to juggle a lot of balls at once is a valuable life skill, but another valuable life skill is understanding when you are at your limit and slashing things from your life that are diminishing your mental health. 

Do not appreciate the ad hominem attack, also do not appreciate the insinuation children in other states aren’t high achievers. I’m sorry for your plight and I hope you will do what is individually best for your family.

18 minutes ago, lost said:

Do not appreciate the ad hominem attack, also do not appreciate the insinuation children in other states aren’t high achievers. I’m sorry for your plight and I hope you will do what is individually best for your family.

I've re-read it 5 times now and can't find an attack on you, but I do apologize if there is one. Let's all move on. 

3 hours ago, packwick said:

LOL. is this the 2023 BOA GN thread or a dumpster fire??

It's my fault for bringing up the Texas rules. The Firestarter. 😄

3 hours ago, packwick said:

that fun passionate old Armenian guy (Begian, i thiiink was his name?), blah blah blah. 

Correct. Harry Begian is the name you're looking for. Legendary band director of Cass Technical High School in Michigan, back when the Midwest was more of a hotspot for quality concert band programs. A very passionate man, indeed!

I know this wasn't the thread for this but I'll plunk it down here anyways. Round Rock will have a different look next season. They are transitioning to a dance company. Alissa Jones will head the new dance company. She was the Dragonette director for 9 years. The new dance company will be called Dragon Fire. The current guard will still have their winter guard season. 

2 hours ago, NEPats said:

I know this wasn't the thread for this but I'll plunk it down here anyways. Round Rock will have a different look next season. They are transitioning to a dance company. Alissa Jones will head the new dance company. She was the Dragonette director for 9 years. The new dance company will be called Dragon Fire. The current guard will still have their winterguard season. Also, the band will have new uniforms. They will look like the last but apparently the all black uniforms caused visual issues. The new one will be of the same design only white with maroon and silver.

Can't wait to see this new look from them! 

1 hour ago, Tubalord11 said:

Can't wait to see this new look from them! 

Although I've seen on social media that many students in the guard, as well as parents and other folk are against the idea of the dance company, which IMO, means they should stick with what the students want, especially since it seems that they have been majorly improving over the past few years. Hopefully everything resolves in a positive manner. 

4 hours ago, NEPats said:

I know this wasn't the thread for this but I'll plunk it down here anyways. Round Rock will have a different look next season. They are transitioning to a dance company. Alissa Jones will head the new dance company. She was the Dragonette director for 9 years. The new dance company will be called Dragon Fire. The current guard will still have their winterguard season. Also, the band will have new uniforms. They will look like the last but apparently the all black uniforms caused visual issues. The new one will be of the same design only white with maroon and silver.

I think more bands will be moving to this model. Color guards are a big expense and some time a huge hassle for the band directors. My daughter was in the guard and I really like her being in it, but the drama was maddening at times with the students, their parents, and even the guard staff. Most of that drama could be controlled by the head band director, but is often not a priority compared to all else they have to do. I don't welcome this change, but I can understand why it is becoming a viable option for some.

6 hours ago, NEPats said:

I'm curious what the primary motivation is for discontinuing the guard. Behind-the-scenes drama? Recruitment issues? Staff turnover? Visual judging frustrations? All of the above, perhaps? 🤔

Maybe Vandy is about to set a trend. They've won every major contest without a guard, and regularly achieve visual scores near or at the top. I'm guessing they receive fewer comments from upstairs judges about poor flag timing (for their swing flag work), and of course no comments at all about weapons. That stuff is very exposed upstairs!

I'll admit that I think there are several Texas bands whose visual scores might also benefit from doing away with their guards -- as long as dance teams are rewarded the same. Not that I would want that, and I'm not sure Round Rock falls into that category.

2 hours ago, Rubisco said:

I'm curious what the primary motivation is for discontinuing the guard. Behind-the-scenes drama? Recruitment issues? Staff turnover? Visual judging frustrations? All of the above, perhaps? 🤔

Maybe Vandy is about to set a trend. They've won every major contest without a guard, and regularly achieve visual scores near or at the top. I'm guessing they receive fewer comments from upstairs judges about poor flag timing (for their swing flag work), and of course no comments at all about weapons. That stuff is very exposed upstairs!

I'll admit that I think there are several Texas bands whose visual scores might also benefit from doing away with their guards -- as long as dance teams are rewarded the same. Not that I would want that, and I'm not sure Round Rock falls into that category.

It was decided at the meeting tonight that they will keep their guard and add a dance team. The parents spoke up.