2023 BOA Grand National Championships (Nov. 9-11)

josephbandfan

6 hours ago, itsstephenyo said:

The Woodlands also does such a great job of staging their guard during major features. Really puts that world class guard on stage and you can just see the Visual/GE points going up up up!

i mostly agree about the staging but they're def burying some of their most impressive tosses backfield this yr!! was just watching area from a diff angle, there's a front walkover that's quickly and cleanly performed backfield side 1 that i've NEVER noticed after multiple viewings of this performance lol. why is that not done at the end of the opener as part of a trick toss ripple front and center??? that's the perfect time to highlight the really impressive tosses i saw back in May!!! still haven't really seen most of em!!

1 hour ago, whitewing09 said:

Trying to choose the tickets I want for finals.

why is the 400 section $150 for tickets?! 

is it worth it or should I get a $50 ticket in the 600s?

The 400 sections are a much preferred sections over the 600, at least in most persons' eyes. It's way less that what you would pay for DCI finals seats in that section.

16 minutes ago, packwick said:

strange show from blue springs this yr, the narration is like "pre-birth" narration lol. becoming!!! points for originality fo sure. doesn't feel nearly as coherent as last year's program tho, just kinda all over the place musically and visually watching on high cam.

Yeah, agreed. Actually, I found the narration a bit cheesy in parts, like something lifted from a Hollywood movie trailer. Conceptually, however, it *is* quite fresh and interesting. It's rare that I see a show with a concept I haven't seen before! It's just that, for me, an interesting concept won't sustain a show, if the fundamental drill and music don't keep me engaged from moment to moment.

2 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Blue Springs looking to be mighty dangerous 👀

I thought the same thing based on their STL score! I personally don’t connect super well to their show, and I think TWHS, Hebron, Avon, Mason, and Carmel will all have a thing or two to say. Who knows!! I’ve been wrong many times over, and their near-94 is very, very impressive.

36 minutes ago, packwick said:

well if Mike Anderson is judging finals the champion will get a perfect 20 in VGE lol

I think it's entirely possible he was impressed by the originality of the Blue Springs show, especially since the next strongest visual programs were rather recycled-looking Cartwright products -- at least I think they were Cartwright shows. (His style is becoming more and more imitated.)

Now, that said, personally I would not have scored Blue Springs a 19.1, but to each his own!

I'm more peeved Westwood didn't win music at St. Louis!

1 hour ago, crunchycookie3 said:

I thought the same thing based on their STL score! I personally don’t connect super well to their show, and I think TWHS, Hebron, Avon, Mason, and Carmel will all have a thing or two to say. Who knows!! I’ve been wrong many times over, and their near-94 is very, very impressive.

Score compression and congestion will probably cause scores to stagnate for some groups going that went to St. Louis and SA this week and next. It happens all the time. Unless the top 4-5 break 95 or 96. Not much higher the scores can climb. That doesn’t meant they won’t have improved in the time between Grand Nats and now, would be hard not to!

Grand nats are next weekend so here are my predictions 

1.Carmel

2.The Woodlands

3.Hebron

4.Avon 

POINT GAP

5.William Mason

6.Blue Springs

7.Round Rock

8.Pearland

9.Brownsburg

POINT GAP

10.Keller/Dripping Springs/CTJ

11.Dripping Springs/Keller/CTJ

12.CTJ/Keller/Dripping Springs

—————

13.Bentonville

14.Fishers

15.James Bowie

9 through 13 could be mixed around a lot just depending on performance time and how well there run was on that day. This is just how I feel it will end up looking like.

1 hour ago, Tubalord11 said:

I'll do some changes and make my "final" list after San Antonio happens, but after 6A state, here's my current predictions. I do think that with Hebron taking the weekend off and taking the time to rehearse and clean is going to really benefit them, and yes, I'm biased and Really want them to win, but I'm thinking it will currently look something like this. Hebron swept content/design in both prelims and finals at state, which is a really good sign, and music was very good, just need to clean up visually which they have a good amount of time to do: 

1st. Hebron (music/GE) 

2nd. Carmel (visual) 

3rd. Avon 

4th. The Woodlands 

5th. Blue Springs 

6th. William Mason 

7th. Brownsburg 

8th. Pearland 

9th. Round Rock 

10th. CTJ 

11th. Fishers 

12th. Keller 

First few out: Dripping Springs, James Bowie, Bentonville 

I'd love for Dripping Springs to take that 11th spot over Fishers and could see it happening, will be very close but I'd say top 10 are pretty much locks assuming CTJ makes finals at San Antonio this weekend and cleans up, it's defiantly more of a Boa than UIL show so I think they will be just fine here, will be watching all of both Semis and Finals, very excited for next weekend! 

I think Bentonville could make it into Finals, definitely will be a battle though between Dripping Springs, Keller, Bentonville, Bowie, and Fishers, and idk if Castle will be there, but they could probably be in contention to

9 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

I'll do some changes and make my "final" list after San Antonio happens, but after 6A state, here's my current predictions. I do think that with Hebron taking the weekend off and taking the time to rehearse and clean is going to really benefit them, and yes, I'm biased and Really want them to win, but I'm thinking it will currently look something like this. Hebron swept content/design in both prelims and finals at state, which is a really good sign, and music was very good, just need to clean up visually which they have a good amount of time to do: 

1st. Hebron (music/GE) 

2nd. Carmel (visual) 

3rd. Avon 

4th. The Woodlands 

5th. Blue Springs 

6th. William Mason 

7th. Brownsburg 

8th. Pearland 

9th. Round Rock 

10th. CTJ 

11th. Fishers 

12th. Keller 

First few out: Dripping Springs, James Bowie, Bentonville 

I'd love for Dripping Springs to take that 11th spot over Fishers and could see it happening, will be very close but I'd say top 10 are pretty much locks assuming CTJ makes finals at San Antonio this weekend and cleans up, it's defiantly more of a Boa than UIL show so I think they will be just fine here, will be watching all of both Semis and Finals, very excited for next weekend! 

I think Dripping Springs will surprise everyone at grand nats and may be even make it into the top 10 but more likely they will be top 12.

18 minutes ago, urmom292 said:

I think Dripping Springs will surprise everyone at grand nats and may be even make it into the top 10 but more likely they will be top 12.

It’s definitely very possible! They are doing really well in the boa comps, and of course were only 3 out of state finals, which is really impressive considering it’s only their second year as a 6A school, but of course I really hope they make it!

On 10/22/2023 at 6:56 PM, Tubalord11 said:

Ik they aren't going to Nats this year, but there's a video of Tarpon's victory run from last night on YT, definitely recommend checking it out because my god if they were going this year, I could see them winning! I feel like I'm watching a more recent BD show, guard is WOW, they march at such a high level, and it's a fun yet challenging and well executed music book! Seeing the BA kids freak out at the end made me a little emotional ngl. it's why the band community is the best, because no matter how good or bad your band did, the kids always seem to support one another. Hoping they are able to come into Nats next year with this incredible season and make some magic happen 

I am OBSESSED with Tarpon Springs show this year!    Best to listen in surround sound or (rock out) in a car with nice speakers :)   

the show design, the music, and good grief the level of execution!!    All truly another level.