Duncanville Marching Invitational 2022 - October 22nd

4 hours ago, Flute goddess said:

As I said in the other thread I agree on the unfairness of the timeline. They should at least have put it under review right away and hold back on the rating.

I don't quite getting where you are coming from when you say it was 'technically' fair. Just time their show. They would have never made it in under 8 minutes even without problems.

That’s because the first movement was to be played before the 8 minutes started as a pre show.

Back in 2013, the Plano East band stopped their show before the last movement because they knew they started late.  Yes. us parents in the audience were confused, but they still received their 1st rating because they were aware of the time restriction.  There are so many props and electronics these days in the shows and the bands should know the the effect of starting late.  Wakeland probably knew the consequences of starting late yet continued so they could get a full run in.  

6 hours ago, Flute goddess said:

As I said in the other thread I agree on the unfairness of the timeline. They should at least have put it under review right away and hold back on the rating.

I don't quite getting where you are coming from when you say it was 'technically' fair. Just time their show. They would have never made it in under 8 minutes even without problems.

yeah, like atomic said, their show is short enough to be under 8 minutes. the problem wasn't due to timing, it was a equipment malfunction with the synth, as they had to restart one of their macbooks. 

6 hours ago, Flute goddess said:

939C23F6-ABBA-4FB8-9B89-16C38AD611A1.jpeg

7 minutes ago, krustyjoe said:

yeah, like atomic said, their show is short enough to be under 8 minutes. the problem wasn't due to timing, it was a equipment malfunction with the synth, as they had to restart one of their macbooks. 

None of our kids were told they would be starting during the announcements. They have never once practiced that way. They never planned to start early. The show is just too long and the director started it too late to fit in the allotted time. Equipment malfunction is not a legitimate excuse. They should have started without the synth if it really wasn’t ready in time. Directors should make sure their shows are short enough to allow for a few seconds of issues anyway. It’s a dangerous move to make the show longer than that. Hopefully something was learned, but it sounds like it’s just being swept under the rug of excuses. 

7 minutes ago, krustyjoe said:

1. wakeland

2. keller

3. waxahachie

4. allen

5. lake ridge

6. james martin

7. plano east

8. fossil ridge

9. berkner

10. byron nelson

music: wakeland

visual: wakeland

percussion: wakeland

auxiliary: keller

Is Allen that improved this year? If they are ahead of Lake Ridge and James Martin, Area C got way more difficult 

8 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Yeah no, Allen will not be 4th lol. They have improved so much from last year, but I’m think no higher than 8th, but finals will not be easy for them to make.

yeah you're right i just kinda threw together a quick list without thinking much it is what it is kinda worn out by all the other things happening

10 hours ago, TxTrpt said:

Odessa Permian will make finals. They placed higher than Lake Ridge and Fossil Ridge at BOA Midland. They have a crazy travel schedule though - they’re performing at a Friday night away game in the Lubbock area, stopping and staying the night in Abilene, and then traveling to Duncanville in the morning just in time for their afternoon prelims slot.

It’s great to see a West Texas band compete in Dallas!

i haven't actually seen their show yet. does anyone have a video of a run?

5 hours ago, woahband said:

As an individual who has heard the from primary source and is extremely frustrated and disappointed about the situation, here is exactly what happened to Wakeland.

• yes the show is more than 8 minutes so they planned to start during announcements.
  • the macbook they use to run everything decided to reboot as announcements were going off
  • they decided to wait for it to finish hoping for the best
  • unfortunately they went overtime by about 22 seconds
  • initially they were sent home with all 1's but the morning after it was changed to all 2's 
  • hence, disqualification 

Although this is very upsetting, there is nothing anyone could have done about it and it was a simple unfortunate event. There is no one to blame and Wakeland is very grateful for the opening at Duncanville and the opportunity to end their season with a couple more chances to perform and have fun.

Actually, there is something that could have been done about it. They could have started early without the synth. They would have finished their show in time and kept their 1’s. It was a gamble the director took (if he really was planning on starting during announcements, which I still don’t believe since the drum majors and kids weren’t told they were going to start early) and he lost. It is what it is at this point. I’m just sick of the “there is nothing that could have been done” narrative. It’s not true. But, I digress…