2022 HEB Marching Contest (Oct. 1)

At Pennington Field again this year. This contest gets smaller and smaller every year.

11:45 - TBD

12:00 - The Colony H.S. (5A)

12:15 - Chisholm Trail H.S. (6A)

12:30 - Byron Nelson H.S. (6A)

12:45 - Burleson H.S. (5A)  

1:00 - Keller H.S. (6A)  

1:15 - BREAK  

1:30 - Saginaw H.S. (5A)

1:45 - Prosper H.S. (6A)

2:00 - Richardson H.S. (6A)

2:15 - Wakeland H.S. (5A)

2:30 - Grapevine HS (5A)

2:45 - BREAK  

3:00 - Coppell H.S. (6A)

3:15 - Forney H.S. (5A)

3:30 - Haltom H.S. (6A)

3:45 - Timber Creek H.S. (6A)

4:00 - Marcus H.S. (6A)

4:15 - L.D. Bell H.S. Exhibition

4:30 - Prelims awards ceremony

2022-schedule-heb.pdf

Wow! This is gonna one heck of a comp with  Coppell and Haltom joining the “usuals”! I’m guessing they take 12 to finals like last year so here’s an early prediction: 

1st Marcus 

2nd Coppell 

3rd Keller 

4th TC 

5th Wakeland 

6th Prosper 

7th Haltom 

8th Forney 

9th Richardson 

10th Byron Nelson 

11th The Colony 

12 Grapevine 

Wakeland sweeps 5A in prelims, and could honestly see 6A captions going to either of the top 3. Gonna be a really good one this year! 

This competition is pretty stacked. 1/3 of the bands are 2021 state finalists! 

I anticipate Marcus, Coppell, Keller, Wakeland, Timber Creek, Prosper, and Forney to be very strong this year. Haltom had a quiet season last year and I’m pretty sure isn’t doing any BOA this year :(, so I don’t know what to expect from them. 

It would be cool to see Coppell come out on top here, as they already look very strong. Although, I haven’t seen much of anything from Marcus or Keller, who are recent winners of this contest. 

I was not a big fan of Prosper’s show last year (emojis? really??), but I have high hopes for them, especially since they’re returning to Nats (even if this year’s show might feel like Cartwright Texas chair show 2.0).
I was a big fan of Timber Creek last year and thought they were kinda underrated until the end of the season (15th at state prelims in their first appearance!). I saw a video (now taken down) of the first 3 parts of the show. To me, it feels much more UIL focused, which isn’t surprising knowing their new director came from Highland Park. They still had that big sound though!

17 hours ago, BandFan59 said:

COVID hit this contest pretty hard it seems, but the level of competition is still super high. This will be a great warmup to BOA Bedford the week after. Haven't seen many bands yet this year from DFW so not sure what to make of predictions yet.

Yeah, much harder to find videos of DFW bands. And I don't even think Keller has marched their show at halftime yet.

6 hours ago, josephbandfan said:

Yeah, much harder to find videos of DFW bands. And I don't even think Keller has marched their show at halftime yet.

Haven’t even found a video online of my alma mater yet which is a bummer, I’ve seen it in person already but I’m always cranky looking them up on YouTube but finding nothing😡😡

I also don’t think COVID’s hit DFW contests that hard, but we can expect a slight bit of drop off in entries for a year or two in the local contests. This contest still looks really healthy despite a slightly fewer amount of entries compared to pre-COVID, and there were a TON of entries in the HEB percussion contest schedule from what I saw👀

On 9/15/2022 at 10:04 PM, josephbandfan said:

Participation numbers from the last decade:

2012: 12
2013: 14
2014: 16
2015: 11
2016: 21
2017: 17
2018: 22
2019: 23
2020: COVID
2021: 15
2022: 15

Yea, I guess I'm remembering the couple of years just before Covid, when 12 to finals from 20+ seemed a bigger deal then 12 to finals from 15. Either way, the competition will be fantastic with some incredible programs. Always look forward to this contest. And maybe I'm just greedy and want more bands to enjoy! lol.

• 2 weeks later...

This competition is essentially a mini BOA. Same sheets and the judges panel is stacked. 

For whatever reason, it’s much harder to find videos of the DFW bands. I have managed to see/hear at least something from most of the heavy-hitters here, and  everyone is looking really strong. Marcus’ show is seemingly a bit more edgy that what we would usually expect, so I’m excited for that. I know that their longtime color guard director left the program after this past winter guard season, so I hope that transition is going smoothly. Coppell is definitely building off of their successful 2021 season. Keller sounds as good as ever. It looks like they’re also trying some interesting things visually, I saw that they’re using Pride of Cincinnati’s props from this past WGI season. Timber Creek sounds really really good and I think they’re one to really look out for, especially at UIL. 

On 9/29/2022 at 9:05 PM, Origin said:

This competition is essentially a mini BOA. Same sheets and the judges panel is stacked. 

For whatever reason, it’s much harder to find videos of the DFW bands. I have managed to see/hear at least something from most of the heavy-hitters here, and  everyone is looking really strong. Marcus’ show is seemingly a bit more edgy that what we would usually expect, so I’m excited for that. I know that their longtime color guard director left the program after this past winter guard season, so I hope that transition is going smoothly. Coppell is definitely building off of their successful 2021 season. Keller sounds as good as ever. It looks like they’re also trying some interesting things visually, I saw that they’re using Pride of Cincinnati’s props from this past WGI season. Timber Creek sounds really really good and I think they’re one to really look out for, especially at UIL. 

I have seen NOTHING!! Besides the occasional video popping up either way early season or backfield video, or just a few from this past weekend’s contests, I’ll definitely be at HEB either this weekend, the next or both though to get my fill😂

Edit: looks like I’m going to both as I’m making my way up to Pennington right now, whoop whoop!

Alright, so from what I have seen, Keller has the best of the first block! Also loved the first heavy brass section and the fact they put in Bicycle by Queen into the score! Also liked Chisolm Trail's show! I also really liked Burleson's props! Overall, a good start to the first block! (I didn't get to see The Colony unfortunately :( )

Keller! Very solid as always, tackling some difficult and quite familiar material in their opener, you’ll know it when you hear it👀 probably the spot that needs the most work along with their closer which I assume has a tag ending still as they’re still adding to their show. They had great sounds and energy throughout and they’ll definitely be dangerous through the rest of the season with more cleaning, and I have no doubt they will!

Thought Keller's musical arrangement was exceptional! Lots of great brass moments mixed in with soloists to keep the show interesting. For me it's not the most interesting show visually, still feels like it's lacking something to give it that extra oomph, but their musical performance was outstanding and should get them far throughout the season.

Keller sounds gooood (from what I can tell with all the wind on the mic that’s clearly not meant to pick up marching band contest audio 😂). The show feels more GE oriented (for lack of better words) than last year. I love the part with the big bike drill set that moves across the field. The ballad is 🔥. All the visual stuff is clearly not finished with the guard not being in costume, etc. I recognized one of the tarps as an old indoor percussion tarp that I guess they cut up? idk I’m assuming it’s a placeholder. 

Prosper was awesome!! Kudos to their trumpet section for their opening, very good matching and tone for them for being so exposed, many great moments for other parts of the ensemble, but being on side 1 I got an earful of them, they were great! Only playing up to their ballad here, there were some technical difficulties with the mics for their soloists but I’m sure they’ll have that cleaned up for their finals run!

Prosper was very good. I much prefer this show to the emoji one. They have a really really strong visual presence with their big guard and the approximately 1 million chairs they have on the field. Maybe some weird stuff going on with the soloists in the ballad idk. The Walking with Hero’s ballad sounded so familiar and then I realized it was in Keller’s 2018 opener, so it was cool to hear that beautiful piece used again.