2022 BOA Austin (Sept. 24)

I remember when Mission had 1 high school. So did McAllen, Edinburg, PSJA, Harlingen, La Joya, etc. Everyone except Brownsville because they were a bigger city. So crazy to see Mission with two, PSJA with 6, Edinburg with 4, McAllen with 3, Sharyland with 2 and La Joya with 4. 

Nice for these kids to make the long journey up to Austin.

Loooove Rouse’s flute choir leading up to the first hit. There’s so much musicality in the full ensemble moments, I could listen to them play forever. Everything just flows so beautifully. I’m also so impressed with the individual visual performance! To me, the show isn’t nearly as conceptually creative as Papyrus was, but I don’t want to understate just how amazing this performance was.

Wow New Braunfels! What an ambitious program for a band that wasn’t on my radar until this season. I don’t know that they have the developed full ensemble sound to make finals here, but the foundations is certainly there. Plus, any band that plays Björk is an immediate favorite in my book. 

11 minutes ago, FaultLineBlues said:

Accidentally got given two strawberry lemonades at the Kettle Corn stand when I only wanted one, so if anyone is at the contest and wants a free strawberry lemonade let me know lmao

If you can keep it cold until finals I'll take it from ya 😂. Choosing to watch prelims as a Couchman. 

James Bowie has quite the ambitious show. Lots of notes and lots of props that are intertwined with the band. I love the unique choices of music. There are moments that really click, and there are moments that don’t yet. There’s alottt of potential, it just needs a few more weeks to really come together.  The backfield playing into the ballad hit is really difficult especially with the staging. The uniform changing in the ballad is pretty distracting. 

2 minutes ago, Origin said:

James Bowie has quite the ambitious show. Lots of notes and lots of props that are intertwined with the band. There are moments that really click, and there are moments that don’t yet. There’s alottt of potential, it just needs a few more weeks to really come together.  The backfield playing into the ballad hit is really difficult especially with the staging. The uniform changing in the ballad is pretty distracting. 

Agree….overall good but potential to really be great.  Music seems off at times and the show felt a little slow, but that could also be because they followed a very amped up performance. Just needs some refinement 

I love the aesthetic of Lake Travis’ show! They have a great center to their sound and are also quite clean visually. They performed basically the whole ballad on the move, not easy stuff! And of course they sounded great while doing it. I wonder if they’re going to deck out the garden with greenery to match the bright guard. 

Overall really really enjoying Westlake. The clarinet soloist is sooooooo good! I also really like the narration they added at the beginning, and I am usually not a fan of narration. The drill design is really nice, and the music is perfectly tailored to the show. The field feels a bit empty, but I don’t expect any band to have all their props and such at this point in the season (it also doesn’t help that all their front flats blew over 😅).

That is probably my favorite Westlake show in a decade. The drill design is SO good and they had the second biggest impact of the day at least to my ears. Incredible clarinet soloist and I love the opening narration. I really hope they change the city to wherever the contest is. I think they could place top 5 tonight.

Really like this opening set from Leander. They move well and for the most part they sound really good! There’s a big lead up to the first hit, and the musical payoff is strong, but the visual doesn’t quite pack the same punch yet. The guard is attempting some great stuff, they just need a bit more time!