UIL Area F 5A 2021

23 hours ago, wef said:

I couldn't find a video but there show is robinhood themed and there band took a big covid hit from what I saw

Just to clarify, I'm a Centennial dad so I've seen the show plenty of times. Was just curious if there is actual video out there as I haven't seen any.

We did take a hit due to Covid. It unfortunately took a lot of the momentum we had gained after the success in 2019 and we're marching about 20 fewer from an already pretty small group. Also, our head director bailed before this school year. 

But these kids work extremely hard and get better every time. Thankfully the award doesn't go to biggest band. 

1 hour ago, Jack_0131 said:

I’m sorry but literally no one thinks that. Ancient Egypt was a thing 3000 years ago, which is what our show is themed after. It isn’t about modern day Egypt; if it was, I could see your argument. You can take any conclusions from our show as you will, but it will take some lengthy justification to prove that hyperbolic claim.

Ancient Egypt is a rich period of time with its own unique history and traditions. The caricature of Ancient Egypt which has been popularized negatively waters down the significance of these ancient cultures that deserve our respect. Watering down a culture to this level feels disrespectful.

I think you got a little defensive, it’s nothing against the students who don’t control the show design. They’re performing it well and it ought to be scored accordingly, I just don’t like the design and the stereotypes it perpetuates. 

I don’t believe claiming something is culturally insensitive is a hyperbolic exaggeration nor do I believe I owe you a lengthy explanation.

I've never been one to get sensitive over things like this, but I also felt that the design choices in Aledo's show seemed off.  Particularly the music choices in junction with the theme.  Yes, the Prince of Egypt takes place in Egypt, but it is more about the enslaved Jews than about the Egyptians.  

On 10/20/2021 at 9:57 AM, ViewFromTheField said:

My apologies for any miscommunication. I do believe that it is not uncommon for bands who perform earlier in the day to have large placement leaps from prelims to finals. Some bands may have better or worse runs from prelims to finals as well, which could also explain the placement jumps. But either way, Summit’s jump was impressive.

As far as Legacy, I only mention them because I believe they are most similar to Summit in that they are both extremely successful and have placed similarly throughout the season. I am not attempting to put down Legacy or Summit, and I should’ve clarified that in my last post. I am trying to be as unbiased as possible when it comes to predictions, and I believe both Summit and Legacy will be fighting for a spot in the top 4, which is why I compared them to Summit. It appears that there is a Summit vs Legacy debate that is starting to form, but I believe there is no need for it, as both schools have a fighting chance to place highly. 

I also apologize if it seems like I was feuding with you. I believe we’re both hoping their season doesn’t end Saturday. 

Wishing luck to all bands competing!

I didn't think you were feuding with me, because I don't know enough about the technicalities of marching band to really understand the scoring, what judges are looking for, etc... I think my confusion about the place jump from prelims to finals was because I thought prelim scores carry over, and in my mind, it would be difficult to jump that much. 

But you have to know that when you structure your response almost exactly like mine, that does indicate, at least to me, a little snotiness as to how I am not familiar with all the ins and outs of band competitions. 

No feuding on my part at all. I'm just here to learn and listen to other's opinions on all the fabulous bands we see week in and out. 

9 hours ago, lost said:

Ancient Egypt is a rich period of time with its own unique history and traditions. The caricature of Ancient Egypt which has been popularized negatively waters down the significance of these ancient cultures that deserve our respect. Watering down a culture to this level feels disrespectful.

I think you got a little defensive, it’s nothing against the students who don’t control the show design. They’re performing it well and it ought to be scored accordingly, I just don’t like the design and the stereotypes it perpetuates. 

I don’t believe claiming something is culturally insensitive is a hyperbolic exaggeration nor do I believe I owe you a lengthy explanation.

I don’t really think our show could feasibly end up under 8 minutes if we wanted to appreciate  their history in full, which is what you seem to wish. And, other bands have done something like this before. Haltom HS’ show this year, for example. This is a widespread concept that many bands use to make epic shows. And, at the end of the day, the thing that matters most is the execution of the show itself. So, I wouldn’t stress about it as much as other, more real examples of insensitivity in our society.

11 hours ago, Senior22Dad said:

I totally agree. That is such a reach. While I don't really like the song "Walk Like an Egyptian", just because of personal preference, that sax solo really saves it.

Love that rockout section, totally reminds me of something that CTJ would do in terms of design.

Azle had an energetic performance this morning. They're still a wild card I think in terms of whether they place middle of the top 10 or up near the top, but they should also show up again tonight.

Colleyville Heritage sounds great and they were notably clean. They're doing well with their bent knee marching style too. You can certainly see the positive impact of Gary Barnard on the program. They might be the strongest band so far today.

Burleson Centennial had a solid performance. I'm looking forward to see them in finals again if they advance, as I suspect they will. Both their guard and brass were fighting the wind a bit.

Richland's performance was a little bit timid and shaky. I would be surprised if they are top 5 in prelims, though it is possible in finals with a good performance. Otherwise, they're pretty clean, though not as clean as Colleyville Heritage. They're also sensitive to musical expression throughout, although they were a little imbalanced from unfocused side to side listening like Burleson Centennial.

All these bands are within striking range of each other, I think.

Cleburne deserves an honorable mention. Brewer had a decent run. Burleson had a bit of a flat performance, but they have a shot at finals.

Congratulations to all the bands so far.

Now for lunch!