5a Area F Marching Contest 2019

I mean you know it's true. Any other bands in area finals could have taken that 3rd place spot 2 years ago. Clearly you don't have the perspective of how it feels to get close to something and not achieve it. <_<

Ditto on what principalagent said, I get it better than a lot of other programs (other than maybe Timber Creek, what is it state alternates for 10 years now?). Not to mention Westwood was also state alternate my senior year when Area D was two programs getting 1s off from taking 6 bands to state. I get it.

Marching band is a subjective event at the end of the day. As a student who's fighting so hard for those precious state spots I do understand the frustration of barely missing out. You just need to simply have the best performance you can possibly have that day, and if the judges don't see it like that then that's what it is. Don't let judges opinion of your show dictate how you should feel about it because I guarantee you spent a lot of hard work putting together a performance that you should be proud of. 

I agree with you. I do not understand what is so special with Birdville though. I don't even comprehend why they made state 2 years ago! Either way, our band is pretty upset the fact we fell one place behind them at area finals 2017. Hopefully 4 bands can make state this year. This area is very competitive compared to other ones in the state of Texas!

There are plenty of us who understand what it's like to miss out and be so close. One time, Haltom missed State by a point. One point. Here's what you do, you look ahead. Focus on the future. The next try at State? Haltom made it! Yes, it's hard. If it weren't, everyone would make it... And wouldn't that make one crazy State contest? Ha ha.

At BISD, I thought B Centennial was wonderful. Truly a great show. Very impressive. Colleyville's show? WOW I loved it so much! I love shows that tell stories and the stories are clear. CH has an incredible story to tell. I wouldn't count them out, even a little bit. They sound so good!

Area F is super difficult. Lots of great bands. So I'd stop being concerned about what other bands do and focus on what your band can do. Work hard and do your best. Maybe, just maybe it'll pay off.

IF I'm not mistaken we end up at 24 bands. In region 30 it looks like 11 out of 13 5A bands qualified, and region 31 all 6 bands qualified, which along with region 5 adds up to 24, so we nearly reached 5 state spots. One short, but at least 4 state qualifiers this time around.

Just out of curiosity, where did you find the results for other bands and regions?

Would have been great to have 5 spots. Seriously some great shows in Area F. But 4 is better than 3 like in 2017.. finding the positive!

I would also look at the fact that since Richland is not in 5A anymore that leaves TWO open spots, and that is even with the assumption that both Birdville and Aledo qualify again, so there are plenty of opportunities for any band to come in and put together TWO great performances and advance to the Alamodome.

I would also look at the fact that since Richland is not in 5A anymore that leaves TWO open spots, and that is even with the assumption that both Birdville and Aledo qualify again, so there are plenty of opportunities for any band to come in and put together TWO great performances and advance to the Alamodome.

Richlands presence this year wouldn't have made a significant difference in state spots. Richland would surely have gained a state spot, although unsure based on Mansfield competition. Wouldn't have made a big difference leaving 4 band spots present.

The state contenders right now in alphabetical order (in my opinion)

Aledo - made state finals in 2017, strong showing at BOA DFW

Birdville - qualified for state in 2017, pretty good showing at BOA McAllen, won the Mustang Nightrider 

Burleson Centennial - very strong showing at Mansfield, on the rise group known for indoor, state alternates in 2017, just placed above Aledo at Birdville

Chisholm Trail - strong start of the season at HEB, strong finals appearance at Birdville

Colleyville Heritage - very strong showing at Mansfield, INCREDIBLE 4th place showing at Birdville, contender for area champion and state finals

Granbury - significantly lower placement than BC and CH but still solid, BOA Midland finals 

Southwest - made state in 2017, slow start at HEB, but placed well at Broken Arrow

Last year I called CH for state and things are looking good for them, my only lock at the moment. Aledo will probably make it too, but their results from Birdville are slightly concerning. BC was behind Aledo at BOA DFW by a significant margin, we'll get a better idea of where both stand this weekend at BOA Waco. Birdville and Southwest will be fighting it out for the last spot and it's super hard to choose only one. Right now I'm leaning towards Birdville because of their stronger showing against Oklahoma bands 2 weekends ago compared to Southwest. It just does not seem like Granbury's or Chisholm Trail's year to me, although they could definitely surprise us.

1) Colleyville Heritage

2) Aledo

3) Burleson Centennial

4) Birdville

--------------------------

5) Southwest

6) Granbury

7) Chisholm Trail

--------------------------

8) Boswell

9) Azle

10) Saginaw