BOA Midland 2019

Bad luck for midland lee. I really loved their show last year, but this seems a very second half heavy contest so it may have a case of score creeping.

1. Vista Ridge

2. Timber Creek

3. James Martin

4. Clovis

5. Mansfield

6. Summit

7. Wylie East

8. Granbury

9. Lubbock-Cooper

10. Del Rio/ Midland Lee

Wow! I didn't realize how competitive this regional is this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Really excited to be heading back down there this year to do the live blog, I love seeing BOA in my neck of the woods again.  

Vista Ridge is the obvious favorite to win and sweep this, coming off of a 6A state championship in Texas about says it all.  No instructional staff changes (or they're minor if there are any), but a new design team this year though, I'm interested in how their approach to show design changes.  I think they'll win and sweep captions.

After that, there are a lot of groups vying for second to me.   Lots of groups who had a strong showing last year are returning this year.  Timber Creek is coming off of a great 2018 season, including winning this one, but they also had a pretty big shift in staff.  That staff could be great!   Just interested in how that transition goes.  Wylie East and Granbury are also returning after a very successful showing in 2018 finishing 3rd and 4th, both programs made big leaps in design and performance quality last year and shined at this contest.  Based on the videos I've seen, I think they're all continuing that.  Del Rio looks to be having another very solid start to their season after making finals here the last two seasons, I fully expect them to be in again this year.  

Clovis is coming off of a pretty monumental 2018 season, after taking a few years off from BOA they beat Marian Catholic prior to a penalty and beat some pretty fantastic programs in St. Louis last year.  They've always been a good program but they've really kicked it up a few notches in design and instruction the last few years.  From what I've heard about their show, sounds like it should be just as fun as last years.  Love seeing a program from my neck of the woods doing some stuff.  Mansfield and Mansfield Summit both made finals in the toughest area in the state last year at area B, I fully anticipate both of them to be in the running for a top half spot.  James Martin is also a band that makes finals or gets close at really tough DFW competitions that I expect to have a good day here, their 2016 string show is still a recent favorite of mine.  Creekview is an interesting one for me, they did some seriously cool shows in the mid 2000s, I haven't watched any of their recent stuff but I'm interested in how they do here.  

And the locals.  I loved seeing three local programs in finals last year, a lot of schools in the region have been seriously upping their game and I'm glad to have seen that pay off last year and in 2017.  Midland Lee is coming off of a very strong top half showing last year, they took me and many others by surprise.  They did have some staff changes this year, but from the videos I've seen they don't seem too phased by that.  Permian has made finals both years at this event and I fully expect them to be in the running again.  They have some great staff consistency going and have been taking steps to really modernize their approach to the activity.  Lubbock Cooper has grown a ton since their move up to 5A a few years ago, they're one of the stronger bands in the area in visual performance and have really well designed products as of late, their Monopoly show this year is no exception.  

After that there are a lot of additional bubble bands for me.  Coronado and Plainview have really shifted their show design approach as of late to more BOA type designs, Frenship is historically one of the best bands from the area, I fully expect them to be in the running for finals.  Excited to see that Hobbs is back after their first ever BOA showing here last year, and I can't remember the last time Abilene peaked its head in at a BOA show.  

I wish the Amarillo area schools would bite on this one, I think Canyon would make a very strong case for the AA class champion spot and a finals spot after their fantastic 4th place showing at 4A state last year.  Amarillo High and Randall are always strong competitors up here at local shows.  Caprock, Palo Duro, Hereford, etc. all do well up here too.  Lots of great contenders for A along wtih Pecos too.  

Well sure, who doesn’t, but saying you think it will come down to the wire between VR and TC is more than a bit unrealistic.

I mean, wouldn't it have been unrealistic for someone early last year to say that the 6A championships would come down to VR and FloMo?

I do think that VR will be a clear winner but never say never!

Yeah I don’t see timber winning this one or really even coming very close, yes I’m sure they’re still doing fine with new staff but when it comes down to it, the level of musicianship present at vista ridge is really just much farther ahead. That’s not discounting timber, I’ve loved all of their past shows, and they are very good, but vista ridge is just experiencing so much growth and I’d be extremely surprised if with new staff timber could pull ahead here.

I mean, wouldn't it have been unrealistic for someone early last year to say that the 6A championships would come down to VR and FloMo?

I do think that VR will be a clear winner but never say never!

True. I hope Timber Creek does really well here. I wish I could be at this one. I’ll be watching online I’m sure!

A little update on Abilene HS.

In the middle of this marching season, their guard director dropped the job and moved out of town. I don't know the reason for this, but Abilene is in the process of interviewing for a new guard director this week. Due to the absence of a guard director, much of their show will probably not have guard work this Saturday. Other than that, the season seems to be going well for them from what I've been hearing. Best of luck to the kids this weekend!

I don't know why but I find myself rooting for Del Rio. Seems like they've got spirit.

They actually dropped 5 points in score from BOA South Texas finals to BOA Austin prelims... In one week. Shows how much scores can vary by contest, but I thought 66 at Austin was harsh!

Couple thoughts on Vista.

1) They march a lot of freshman. Many of their best players are freshman stars but have never marched before or competed. I think it pays off later in the season and in future years, but early in season I think it could explain a lot

2). I don't think they're doing their whole show at Midland. Last part wasn't ready last night at the local festival of bands, and I heard they were redoing some of the closer. That could be a factor on Saturday. But otherwise they look good.

Wylie East competed in the Little Elm Classic on the Lake on September 28th and got 1st beating Lone Star and multiple solid 6A schools. I could see them having a strong season but we will have to wait and see.

I am not aware of the scoring structure of that competition was so I'm curious how this Saturday plays out. Go Vista and Go East!

Wylie East competed in the Little Elm Classic on the Lake on September 28th and got 1st beating Lone Star and multiple solid 6A schools. I could see them having a strong season but we will have to wait and see.

I am not aware of the scoring structure of that competition was so I'm curious how this Saturday plays out. Go Vista and Go East!

And by a pretty significant margin, as well. In both prelims and finals. Can’t be a fluke! Excited to see how they do here, as well.

I don't know why but I find myself rooting for Del Rio. Seems like they've got spirit.

They actually dropped 5 points in score from BOA South Texas finals to BOA Austin prelims... In one week. Shows how much scores can vary by contest, but I thought 66 at Austin was harsh!

Couple thoughts on Vista.

1) They march a lot of freshman. Many of their best players are freshman stars but have never marched before or competed. I think it pays off later in the season and in future years, but early in season I think it could explain a lot

2). I don't think they're doing their whole show at Midland. Last part wasn't ready last night at the local festival of bands, and I heard they were redoing some of the closer. That could be a factor on Saturday. But otherwise they look good.

FYI:  None of the bands did the 4th movement at festival of the bands, may have been a coordinated effort for time...