2019 BOA Dallas/ Fort Worth Regional

Marcus's show is pretty cool. Lots of DCI influence, with tough drill, and the music is really bright and lovely. At very least it's a good preview of what to expect in the Jones era.

It is a totally different design compared to Drinkwater?

Yes, I think so. Level of difficulty is about the same or a touch higher (as in: music and drill are as difficult as you'd expect from Marcus), but the look and feel is different--more in touch with the theme. Somewhat abstract, but still accessible...I guess that's how I'd put it. The students and parents are really excited about it. We'll see how it's received at HEB this week.

Yes, I think so. Level of difficulty is about the same or a touch higher (as in: music and drill are as difficult as you'd expect from Marcus), but the look and feel is different--more in touch with the theme. Somewhat abstract, but still accessible...I guess that's how I'd put it. The students and parents are really excited about it. We'll see how it's received at HEB this week.

This has me intrigued and very excited about the possible ways Marcus could differentiate themselves this year!

I'm very concerned about Timber. Their show is short and it does not have the umph that they had last year. Its not a bad show, but it isn't really pushing anything either. Its a very safe show for a first time director and I'm not sure they will even make finals after watching them at their last game.

Their director changes happened so last minute. They are probably very behind on learning the show. :(

I'm very concerned about Timber. Their show is short and it does not have the umph that they had last year. Its not a bad show, but it isn't really pushing anything either. Its a very safe show for a first time director and I'm not sure they will even make finals after watching them at their last game.

Wow really? Do you think that maybe another finalist spot will open up here?

I think you will be surprised. Not so safe, not so short. And plenty of umph. ;)

Can I ask a stupid question as a relatively new band mom? Why would Summit (Mansfield in DFW) choose BOA Midland over BOA DFW? It seems to me, it involves a LOT less travel, hassle and stress if we traveled to somewhere virtually in our backyard

The prospect of making finals and placing higher at an easier contest in Midland. It can be a great motivator for a band.

Can I ask a stupid question as a relatively new band mom? Why would Summit (Mansfield in DFW) choose BOA Midland over BOA DFW? It seems to me, it involves a LOT less travel, hassle and stress if we traveled to somewhere virtually in our backyard

It’s most likely so they can experience more success than they would against the DFW powerhouses. That can be discouraging for a band! Midland will give them a taste for success and improve their efforts in the future.

I’m excited that the weather (so far) is looking good and there will hopefully be finals this year! It’s looking to be just as hot as last year so maybe those really early performance slots for some of the usual finalists will be a good thing.

Just some thoughts from a week out:

I expect to see the usual top contenders round out the top half this year. FloMo, Hebron, Keller, Marcus, and LD Bell. All 5

Bands made SA Super Regional Finals so it’s hard to bet against any of them being in the top half.

I saw an early video of FloMo before it got taken down and no surprises there. Super clean, clear visual focus, and especially fantastic weapon work. Love the call back to Surreal (possibly my favorite show of all time)

I saw an early video of Hebron that was very low quality. The band is MASSIVE. They’ve got to have the most winds on the field of any AAAA BOA Texas band. Again, no surprises here. The theme is extremely straightforward and they mainly focus on their insane music and visual capabilities.

I’m biased towards Keller but I have seen high quality videos so I can give some objective information. They seem cleaner earlier than they were last year (probably due to no rain and no Macy’s preparation). The show (design wise) was very incomplete at HEB (unfinished props, flags, etc.). This show is very “Keller” and they certainly know it. They seem to get a step better every year.

I haven’t seen Marcus’s show but I am very excited to (at least online through FLO :) ). Marcus is one of my favorite bands and are just so respectable. Based on HEB results (which I know are not entirely indicative of BOA results), they should have a strong showing.

The only piece of LD Bell I’ve seen is an indoor stand still music run of the whole show. They definitely seem to be “break[ing] away” from their reputation a little this year. The guard has a rifle line this year! The music has tons of power and volume but not as much exposed playing or demand as I would like. Bell tends to get the full show out there by this competition and that could give them a competitive advantage to challenge for a medal if it is clean enough.

I see Waxahachie, Prosper, Wakeland, and Coppell probably taking spots in the bottom half. Timber and Owasso are wild cards but could very well be in finals as well as Keller Central. Aledo and Forney did well at HEB but those results don’t always correlate to BOA. Trinity could also be a surprise finalist here. The bubble is always pretty big and unpredictable.

Cedar Park and Union aren’t returning this year BUT Marcus and Owasso kind-of fill those roles.

I’m excited that the weather (so far) is looking good and there will hopefully be finals this year! It’s looking to be just as hot as last year so maybe those really early performance slots for some of the usual finalists will be a good thing.Just some thoughts from a week out:I expect to see the usual top contenders round out the top half this year. FloMo, Hebron, Keller, Marcus, and LD Bell. All 5Bands made SA Super Regional Finals so it’s hard to bet against any of them being in the top half. I saw an early video of FloMo before it got taken down and no surprises there. Super clean, clear visual focus, and especially fantastic weapon work. Love the call back to Surreal (possibly my favorite show of all time)I saw an early video of Hebron that was very low quality. The band is MASSIVE. They’ve got to have the most winds on the field of any AAAA BOA Texas band. Again, no surprises here. The theme is extremely straightforward and they mainly focus on their insane music and visual capabilities. I’m biased towards Keller but I have seen high quality videos so I can give some objective information. They seem cleaner earlier than they were last year (probably due to no rain and no Macy’s preparation). The show (design wise) was very incomplete at HEB (unfinished props, flags, etc.). This show is very “Keller” and they certainly know it. They seem to get a step better every year.I haven’t seen Marcus’s show but I am very excited to (at least online through FLO :) ). Marcus is one of my favorite bands and are just so respectable. Based on HEB results (which I know are not entirely indicative of BOA results), they should have a strong showing. The only piece of LD Bell I’ve seen is an indoor stand still music run of the whole show. They definitely seem to be “break[ing] away” from their reputation a little this year. The guard has a rifle line this year! The music has tons of power and volume but not as much exposed playing or demand as I would like. Bell tends to get the full show out there by this competition and that could give them a competitive advantage to challenge for a medal if it is clean enough. I see Waxahachie, Prosper, Wakeland, and Coppell probably taking spots in the bottom half. Timber and Owasso are wild cards but could very well be in finals as well as Keller Central. Aledo and Forney did well at HEB but those results don’t always correlate to BOA. Trinity could also be a surprise finalist here. The bubble is always pretty big and unpredictable.Cedar Park and Union aren’t returning this year BUT Marcus and Owasso kind-of fill those roles.

After seeing the shows last night at HEB, I would agree with this. Definitely curious to see Owasso and Timber Creek thrown in this mix. I’m hoping the change at TC didn’t set them back too far. They have been one of my favorite DFW bands for several years now.

I just realized that timber creek got 6th last year at this competition, that could be innaccurate just because there was no finals but I would be surprised if they didn’t make finals after making it two years in a row and placing 6th last year.

The Austin Regional just showed that a strong track record doesn’t say a lot about what’ll happen at 5 PM on Saturday. I hope Timber Creek rises above that and proves to people that they haven’t skipped a beat!

Huge surprise for me! A college friend is planning to go to BOA Dallas to watch as a FloMo alumnus, and I might be able to tag along in the morning before my college football game events. I’ll probably do the thing where you watch one regional IRL and another on FloMarching at the same time (because I’m still a Houston homer). Not sure if traveling will work out, but I can’t wait!

Timber will prove people wrong this year. They may have had major staff changes, but they’re still out to prove themselves.

After visiting some parent previews last weekend and scrounging online, here’s my predictions for BOA Dallas.

1.) Flower Mound-

FloMo is already extremely clean visually. Their music still needs some work but they already have (what I would assume is) their full show on the field. They also have top notch visual effects once again this year that works so well with their theme. One of their props even has sand falling down in it! Clean is the name of the game early on in the season and I think that will give FloMo the edge here.

2.) Hebron-

Hebron’s show has got to be the best one they’ve produced since their last Grand Nats trip. The music is downright insane (and really quite clean for how early in the season it is) and their show theme is so straightforward and yet so impactful. This is the kind of show that makes you both uncontrollably elated yet uncontrollably sobbing at the same time. In addition, it’s also the hardest visual book they’ve brought to date. That being said, they are not as clean as Flower Mound visually and still have some things to iron out, but they could easily win this contest if they are cleaner come October 5th. I’m sure they’re playing the long game this season and are going to be a force at Nats.

3.) Keller-

I think this is one of my favorite Keller shows to date. That opening hit they have is so rich and has to be one of my favorite hits this season. I love everything about Keller’s visuals and their props (big fan of the pit being on the field too). If they can be super clean at DFW, I expect them to medal and exceed everyone’s expectations.

4.) Marcus-

Marcus is on track to being back to where they were in the Drinkwater Era. This show is so much more ambitious than last year and they are exceeding my expectations thus far. At HEB they closed to .1 of Keller, showing that they aren’t to be written off this year. It would not surprise me if they were able to steal a medal this year. Their props are also so cool—I love the book props, they’re such a neat idea.

5.) Waxahachie-

I know this is a surprise having them above LD Bell, but I absolutely loved what I saw from a video from their HEB performance. Waxahachie has slowly been getting better every year and I think this is the year they break into the top 5.

6.) LD Bell

7.) Prosper

8.) Wakeland

9.) Coppell

10.) Timber Creek

(no explanations for them as I haven’t seen their shows.)

Captions:

Music- Hebron

Visual- Flower Mound

GE- Flower Mound

1. Hebron

2. FloMo

3. Keller

4. Marcus

5. LD Bell

6. Waxahachie

7. Prosper

8. Coppell

9. Timber Creek

10. Wakeland

Definitely could see bands like Owasso, Trinity, and Keller Central make the cut as well :D

I agree. I see positions 3 & 4 and 5 thru 7 being the battle ground from what I have seen so far. Keller and Marcus were close at HEB as were Waxahachie and Prosper. I haven't seen Coppell or TC yet and Owasso is a complete unknown.  This is going to be a good one.