2019 BOA San Antonio

A little further analysis of the panel debate with the prelims results:

5 of the top 7 bands in prelims were from Panel 2.

The highest score in prelims for Panel 1 was Ronald Reagan who scored 94.7 and was 1st overall. The second highest was Claudia Taylor Johnson who scored 92.9 and was 5th overall. The third highest was Flower Mound who scored 92.57 and was 8th overall.

The highest score in prelims for Panel 2 was Leander who scored 94.35 and was 2nd overall. The second highest was Vandegrift who scored 94.05 and was 3rd overall. The third highest was Vista Ridge who scored 93.9 and was 4th overall.

Of the top 20, 9 bands were from Panel 1, and 11 were from Panel 2. The score gap for Panel 1 ranged from 94.7 to 86.97. The score gap for Panel 2 ranged from 94.35 to 87.3.

Just some food for thought.

Wylie is the big one to look out for in my opinion.  They have had several great shows the past few years and came in at 18th overall- ahead of groups like Coppell, Cedar Park, and Prosper.

They’ve been kind of slept on these past couple of years. Glad to see that they did this well at this tough competition!

The more I sift through the recaps, the more baffling they become. It just seems like the judges and I watched very different shows this weekend. To each his own, I guess!

At least the band that should have won came out on top, and with the highest ever finals score a Texas band has posted! Congrats to Reagan!

I’m interested to see what happens at Nationals with our TX groups. They’ve got 2 weeks, and as 2016 demonstrated, what happens at San Antonio isn’t always the best predictor of what happens at Nats. I am, of course, super excited at the prospect of 6 TX bands in finals. And hopefully Vandy’s music can put them over the edge and help them bring the Eagle back to Texas.