Area B 2018

South Grand Prairie bet Fossil Ridge at a contest tonight. What could that mean for them?

This prediction was soley based off of 2017 results. Im sure South Grand Prairie will have a great showing at area.

South Grand Prarie has had at least one other good result this season. They look like a solid band, though this area is too tough for them to have a likely shot at making finals. I put them in the relative quality range of Lake Ridge, Summit, Fossil Ridge, and DeSoto fighting for a top 20 spot at this area. Wow. Thats crazy to even think about how deep this area is.

Yeah I really couldn’t hear much. I just kinda watched the movement lol . But I mean I’m going Monday to watch region 31. To watch all those groups so I’ll see whats happening with everyone

What a frustrating thing that video was to watch! lol They were even saying, "We're gonna let them play. Let's turn up the volume so people can hear them. Open that window." blah blah and all I kept thinking was...how about you just STOP TALKING! Then, they stopped talking and were rattling around with a chip bag or something. Just when you think they're going to shush, they start chattering again. blarg This is why I prefer going to contests. heh

What a frustrating thing that video was to watch! lol They were even saying, "We're gonna let them play. Let's turn up the volume so people can hear them. Open that window." blah blah and all I kept thinking was...how about you just STOP TALKING! Then, they stopped talking and were rattling around with a chip bag or something. Just when you think they're going to shush, they start chattering again. blarg This is why I prefer going to contests. heh

Yes I was getting so mad omg ! But I ended up turning off the sound tbh and just watched it visually

Now that this area is one week away, what are everyone’s thoughts based on the season we have had so far. I know there are two regions to go but the main players will get their 1s and the stage will be set. The only thing up in the air is if there will be 5 or 6 state births. From what I’ve seen this year, this area is going to be a real dog fight. Yes, Keller has been strong but they have been beaten by another school in this area already. TC has had a great year so far and LD Bell and Waxahacie have been very strong also. Then throw in Coppell, Richland, and Haltom and it’s gonna get crazy.

Then consider that there are enough up and coming bands to really shake things up should any of the above have a bad run. Also let’s not forget about the impact the rain has had on preparations and the fact that they have all had about 3 weeks to clean there shows. Saturday is gonna be a good one!

The history of this area will most likely be just that after Saturday. With all the new bands that moved up this year and some that have already been there but are making a name for themselves I suspect area B is about to take on a whole new look.

Now that this area is one week away, what are everyone’s thoughts based on the season we have had so far. I know there are two regions to go but the main players will get their 1s and the stage will be set. The only thing up in the air is if there will be 5 or 6 state births. From what I’ve seen this year, this area is going to be a real dog fight. Yes, Keller has been strong but they have been beaten by another school in this area already. TC has had a great year so far and LD Bell and Waxahacie have been very strong also. Then throw in Coppell, Richland, and Haltom and it’s gonna get crazy.

Then consider that there are enough up and coming bands to really shake things up should any of the above have a bad run. Also let’s not forget about the impact the rain has had on preparations and the fact that they have all had about 3 weeks to clean there shows. Saturday is gonna be a good one!

The history of this area will most likely be just that after Saturday. With all the new bands that moved up this year and some that have already been there but are making a name for themselves I suspect area B is about to take on a whole new look.

Huge battle between historical success and recent rise. This Saturday we will see if the panels bands that historically have made State and done well like Keller, Coppell, LD Bell, and Duncanville, or will they favor newer bands like Timber Creek, Waxahachie, Prosper, and Haltom that have not had as much experience with 6A State UIL (Waxahachie and Prosper with 5A experience).

Huge battle between historical success and recent rise. This Saturday we will see if the panels bands that historically have made State and done well like Keller, Coppell, LD Bell, and Duncanville, or will they favor newer bands like Timber Creek, Waxahachie, Prosper, and Haltom that have not had as much experience with 6A State UIL (Waxahachie and Prosper with 5A experience).

Interesting perspective. I certainly hope that is not the case on Saturday. Each band should be judged based on their performance on the field. Just because a band is new to a class should have no bering on how they are rated. The experience between classes at this level is a mute point. They are all great.

I know AT&T stadium has a bad rep for sound, but Haltom sounds fantastic here. This is such an awesome thing! Not for nothing but these kids are getting some dome experience. Excited for them!! Plus, I got to walk around the end zone. I think I may have spent more time in the end zone than the Cowboys have this season. Oooo!

Interesting perspective. I certainly hope that is not the case on Saturday. Each band should be judged based on their performance on the field. Just because a band is new to a class should have no bering on how they are rated. The experience between classes at this level is a mute point. They are all great.

I mean, Leander, Vandy, and Vista Ridge seemed pretty ok in 2016 when they jumped up in classes.

My bold prediction for area B is that at least one band will place higher than Keller at some point in the competition.

My reasoning is that since 2016, Keller has made a noticible transition in-terms of show design. Starting last year, the visual program seemed to be much more challenging. I think part of the reason why they did SO well in 2016 was that they had extremely clean drill (for the most part) while offering up enough demand musically to be considered in the top 5. Their competitors (aside from Timber Creek and Waxahachie), all seem to be much more UIL focused and continue to put out extremely safe programs (Bell, Coppell, and Duncanville). While I think Keller will be far and away the highest achieving band in area B for BOA, the inconsistencies and differences in judging COULD result in an outcome where Keller doesn’t remain on top, and I think the likelihood isn’t actually all that small.

Now I could be totally incorrect about this considering Keller has opened a pretty decent gap over their competitors this season at BOA that didn’t really exist in 2016. Actually I think this year is the first year Keller beat Bell at a BOA regional. (And they beat them by alot too).

I wish everyone luck Saturday and I hope 6 bands can advance to state. Crossing my fingers.

Keller beat Bell at San Antonio in 2016 and 2017, but this year was Keller's first time beating them at DFW. Just throwing that out there. I think your take is otherwise interesting. Not sure if I'm buying it, but I'm intrigued. If anything, I think Keller probably won't be first both rounds, but that might be more because of the variance often found at Area competitions - especially in prelims.

I can certainly see them not getting first, but I have to say that aside from being more demanding, Keller has really stepped up their visual game in terms of performance. Both individual and ensemble visual scores at BOA DFW were impressive to me. I havent seen anything to do with their closer, but what I have seen so far looks as clean or cleaner than any other competitive band in area B.

Their competitors (aside from Timber Creek and Waxahachie), all seem to be much more UIL focused and continue to put out extremely safe programs (Bell, Coppell, and Duncanville). 

Agree with most of it, but a small counterpoint. It's interesting that you mention Bell as a school that is putting out UIL / "safe" programs, as 10 years ago, they were the band to watch out for at nats. Their 2006 and 2007 shows are known as some of the best designed, most influential high school shows - period - in a lot of circles. Obviously, the waters have changed a bit for them, and I do agree their last few shows have been a bit more traditional / safe, but it's just interesting to look at their history.

Coppell on the other hand has been known for the past 20 years to more or less be doing the same thing, thanks to Scott Mason. However, since his passing a few years ago, Wakeland's former director has taken his place, and their show design is rapidly modernizing and changing. It's only been a couple years (2 or 3, not sure), and it remains to be seen if they'll survive the transition and come back to their relative dominance, but I'm not sure you can classify them as putting out UIL-focused, safe programs.

Personally, on my list, I have Coppell not advancing in lieu of Waxahachie and Prosper. Both have proven track records of excellence from last year with shows that performed fairly well at BOA and very well at UIL events. I think people are still remembering old Coppell, the purely UIL-focused powerhouse, and don't realize that Coppell is modernizing, and the shows don't fit nearly as neatly into the UIL rubric anymore.

Eh, it's your opinion but look at it a little more analytically - it also seems you're a bit confused on what we mean by depth - someone above me answered it quite well.

I can definitely see a case for Area D having a similar depth, but still, you can more or less look at the list and say who's going to make it to state.

Same for Area C: the list is pretty static. But there, you can look at the list and not only see who's going to state but also who's going to state finals.

With Area B, you have bands like Bell and Duncanville, who have made state and state finals almost every other year for the past decade +. You have bands like Coppell, who have made state and state finals literally every time for the past decade +. You have bands like Keller who are starting to be known as one of the top bands in the nation (and is really the only lock this year, imo). Then, you have bands like Haltom, who are obviously going to be strong despite missing state last time. You have Waxa and Prosper, who just moved up to 6A and have been doing extremely well in 5A and at BOA. And of course, Timber Creek and Keller Central who have had strong showings in BOA the last few years.

Right there, I count 9 bands who anyone could easily make a strong argument for making state, with the top few having a strong argument for making state finals. But in this area, they'll be battling for a spot at AREA finals.

That's what depth is.

Thank you for answering my question civilly. I understand what you guys are saying now.

Trinity -

Love the panels in the front with matching guard uniforms very pretty!

Loved intro with flute trio . Very well done

Beautiful opening hit

Beginning of second movement alittle timing issue but guard some is looking great

Brass sound has improved so much throughout season #loving it

I think mics may not be loud enough in front ensemble.

Beginning of ballad flute solo alittle loud but beautiful

Visually appealing throughout

Good job trinity . Really enjoyed it only thing I can say is fourth movement was rough and lines are that good but other than that I liked it a lot