Area F 2018

I'll be in San Antonio on Saturday (at Judson) but I'm sure you will be at Heroes Stadium. Not that I blame you!

Maybe.

Maybe I'll be at my headquarters compiling all the latest news all day...

Maybe I'll be putting up live updates as Area Finals results come in....

so fun fact, (i’m in twhs) so we host lone star and there fore we don’t compete. The high score was a 86.05 (cy fair). CP got second with a 86. We as well got judged but without actually being put in the rankings. We got a 90.05..CP is our rival and so is ORHS. great band with great people just I think their shows can be sometimes boring. and it’s clean because the drill is soooo easy. no offense to them. and tbh uil chooses cleaner bands and that will put CP ahead of us. But I personally think we top them.

Well the drill that Oak Ridge and College Park has is definitely not easy. There is no such thing as easy drill. It’s just the style of drill that is written that you see different. Oak Ridge traditionally likes to use sweeping curvilinear forms with blocked marching in their closer with an emphasis on marching for most of the show. College Park tends to have isolated groups in circular and/or block forms that connect together and travel throughout the show. The Woodlands tends to have tightly grouped sets mixed with various ways to get with them. Totally different styles of drill, all with great difficulty in their own way. And I’m not so sure where you got those scores from, because the sheets on the LSP site give Cy-Fair an 88.05, College Park an 87.3 and Oak Ridge an 86.65.

Edit: quote removed at request of the original poster.

Echoing the above comment from tstrom01, the scores you posted are wrong for all the bands (including TWHS).

BOA does reward a performer that is doing multiple things simultaneously, but don't confuse that necessarily with complexity of drill. Body movement/choreography add variable depth to the show and give performers multiple tasks. But also remember (for example) that a large curvilinear form across the field is challenging to hit marks, keep spacing, end movement together, and maintain musical timing across the ensemble. It is one of those things that maybe looks simple, but is more difficult to pull off successfully than it appears.

so fun fact, (i’m in twhs) so we host lone star and there fore we don’t compete. The high score was a 86.05 (cy fair). CP got second with a 86. We as well got judged but without actually being put in the rankings. We got a 90.05..CP is our rival and so is ORHS. great band with great people just I think their shows can be sometimes boring. and it’s clean because the drill is soooo easy. no offense to them. and tbh uil chooses cleaner bands and that will put CP ahead of us. But I personally think we top them.

The last word id use to describe either CP or OR this year is boring.

I’d just like to throw out there/remind people that LSP scores aren’t always the best barometer of future band performance. LSP had a lot of quality people judging this year, but few, if any, of them regularly judge BOA and UIL events. I did see Downey’s name in one of the judge bio sheets at BOA recently, which I found amusing, because his bio dwarfed all the other ones in size. I’m not sure he has judged a BOA event before. Lots of new people recently, actually.

I’d just like to throw out there/remind people that LSP scores aren’t always the best barometer of future band performance. LSP had a lot of quality people judging this year, but few, if any, of them regularly judge BOA and UIL events. I did see Downey’s name in one of the judge bio sheets at BOA recently, which I found amusing, because his bio dwarfed all the other ones in size. I’m not sure he has judged a BOA event before. Lots of new people recently, actually.

Absolutely true, although I think they've been in the right range at least last year (and I think this year) for BOA. Cy-Fair, CP, and Oak Ridge really are that much better this year than last, and I would not be surprised to see them pushing close to 90 by SA (I know Cy-Fair is not attending, unfortunately). Last year's scores were about right too, in the low to mid 80's (including TWHS - they gave us around a 84.5 in 2017 LSP, IIRC).

However your point stands and I completely agree with it. Don't read too much into the scores!

Edited to add: I noticed he (Wayne Downey) was on the St. Louis panel too. I don't recall him judging BOA either (although you've been paying attention much longer than I have), but I think he'll do well from the few conversations I had with him recently at LSP. He obviously has the technical chops (duh!), but he also has what I'll say is the right feel for judging. My impression is that he enjoys giving constructive thoughts to programs and performers.

With the different type of judging from BOA/most contests compared to UIL judging do you guys see any surprising finals/top 5 placements?

I haven't seen all the area bands, so bear that in mind.

I agree with others here that Tomball Memorial or Westfield (among the bands I've seen) would have the best chance to "crash the party". Could someone else do it? Sure. I have not seen North Shore, so my opinion of them is based upon others comments and recent history. I have seen The Woodlands, College Park, and Oak Ridge multiple times, and these are the strongest bands in the area for both BOA and UIL (of the ones I've seen, and in my opinion, of course). Westfield did pretty well in BOA earlier this season, and have a good UIL show. Tomball Memorial has a really good show that has the potential to jump up. It has some BOA elements, so I'm a little curious why they don't attend BOA Houston? I've seen the Klein schools multiple times now, and a couple have the potential to clean up and put on a strong area showing. Top 5 would be a stretch maybe, but not impossible either.

Right now the 4 most likely state bands are North Shore, College Park, Oak Ridge, and The Woodlands (in no particular order, as it doesn't really matter if you are 1st or 4th - just make it to state). I think Tomball Memorial and Westfield are going to have outstanding shows, and will pounce on any less than great runs by the top 4 and take a spot. I'm very fuzzy on the bands outside of Region 9, so I could be surprised by one of them.

I haven't seen all the area bands, so bear that in mind.

I agree with others here that Tomball Memorial or Westfield (among the bands I've seen) would have the best chance to "crash the party". Could someone else do it? Sure. I have not seen North Shore, so my opinion of them is based upon others comments and recent history. I have seen The Woodlands, College Park, and Oak Ridge multiple times, and these are the strongest bands in the area for both BOA and UIL (of the ones I've seen, and in my opinion, of course). Westfield did pretty well in BOA earlier this season, and have a good UIL show. Tomball Memorial has a really good show that has the potential to jump up. It has some BOA elements, so I'm a little curious why they don't attend BOA Houston? I've seen the Klein schools multiple times now, and a couple have the potential to clean up and put on a strong area showing. Top 5 would be a stretch maybe, but not impossible either.

Right now the 4 most likely state bands are North Shore, College Park, Oak Ridge, and The Woodlands (in no particular order, as it doesn't really matter if you are 1st or 4th - just make it to state). I think Tomball Memorial and Westfield are going to have outstanding shows, and will pounce on any less than great runs by the top 4 and take a spot. I'm very fuzzy on the bands outside of Region 9, so I could be surprised by one of them.

Tomball Memorial is not a part of BOA for multiple reasons including the fact we cannot afford it, our band director had problems in BOA back when Tomball HS was a 6A, and our district does not allow us to attend BOA competitions. It would not surprise me with the uproar from families and some fine arts directors if we start attending BOA competitions in the near future.