Area F 2018

After seeing the Friendswood marching festival, Katy marching festival, BOA Conroe, and Lone Star preview:

1: College Park (Saturday night was the best performance ive ever seen from this band)

2: The Woodlands

3: Oak Ridge

4: North Shore

Big Gap

5: Westfield (Best this band has been in easily over a decade. Had a few more bands recieved ones, this band could have had their first state appearance since 2010).

6: Spring (sadly with the rapidly rising quality of the area and the number of advancing bands I think this is the end of an era for them)

7: Klein (See Westfield)

8: Klein Oak

9: Kingwood

10: Klein Cain (Very bright future for this band)

After seeing the Friendswood marching festival, Katy marching festival, BOA Conroe, and Lone Star preview:

1: College Park (Saturday night was the best performance ive ever seen from this band)

Big Gap

5: Westfield (Best this band has been in easily over a decade. Had a few more bands recieved ones, this band could have had their first state appearance since 2010).

6: Spring (sadly with the rapidly rising quality of the area and the number of advancing bands I think this is the end of an era for them)

If you had posted this before Lone Star Preview, I would have thought you were crazy to put CP in front of TWHS, but seeing how SUPER clean they were, and knowing that UIL doesn’t care about GE (which would favor TW) I can see College Park topping them.

But I just realized, College Park was barely ahead of Oak Ridge in finals, and what hurt Oak Ridge was that their GE was lower than CP’s and Cy-Fair’s but all three of their visual and music scores were very very close, with OR’s music score topping them both. Since UIL only focuses on visual and music (please correct me if I’m wrong about that) then Oak Ridge would be on par with College Park.

Looks like the Conroe ISD trio will reign supreme in this area and it will be a battle on who will take the #1 spot. This is getting interesting....

Big Gap

With Tomball Memorial Not even in Finals?!?! That would be shocking! We beat many Schools and almost tied with Katy Taylor and Friendswood!

With Tomball Memorial Not even in Finals?!?! That would be shocking! We beat many Schools and almost tied with Katy Taylor and Friendswood!

I guess I forgot they were in this area. Id put them above Spring and below Westfield.

Big Gap

Make no mistake, CP is very clean right now, but I wouldn’t ever count out TWHS. There peak has yet to come and they are in their own cleaning phase. I completely understand your thoughts here, but I mean it’s TWHS, and they are on their best year since winning Grand nats.

Area matters only insofar as whether you do or don't qualify for state. In 2016 TWHS finished 4th and squeaked into the state contest, where we ended up being the highest finishing of the area bands (North Shore also made state finals). My opinion is that Oak Ridge and CP are the strongest they have been, maybe ever. I personally have a tendency to view bands through a BOA lens, so with that lens TWHS is the strongest of these bands. UIL will view things differently, so as long as we hit top 4 and advance that is what matters the most. I would love to send the top 3 CISD programs to state this year, and I think there is a strong possibility it happens, regardless of the area order. There are a few more practices to go before area and San Antonio, so things can and will change right up to the end.

Area matters only insofar as whether you do or don't qualify for state. In 2016 TWHS finished 4th and squeaked into the state contest, where we ended up being the highest finishing of the area bands (North Shore also made state finals). My opinion is that Oak Ridge and CP are the strongest they have been, maybe ever. I personally have a tendency to view bands through a BOA lens, so with that lens TWHS is the strongest of these bands. UIL will view things differently, so as long as we hit top 4 and advance that is what matters the most. I would love to send the top 3 CISD programs to state this year, and I think there is a strong possibility it happens, regardless of the area order. There are a few more practices to go before area and San Antonio, so things can and will change right up to the end.

Area F judging in 2016 was nightmarish. Several bands that should have been solid state advancers were left out.

Area F judging in 2016 was nightmarish. Several bands that should have been solid state advancers were left out.

I was lurking here that year, and I think I remember you (or at least someone) posting about that. I guess it is one of those unspoken things that, for lack of a better term, "band politics" will rear its head from time to time. I don't know much about that in regards to Texas marching band (so I tend to keep my mouth/keyboard shut on this - oops!), but I have been working in multi-billion dollar corporations for decades, so I have a really good understanding of the insidious influence of corporate politics. It is there and it permeates everything.

I can't stand how UIL determines the number of bands that go to state from each Area.  There were 25 bands in Area F projected to get 1's in Region thus 5 advancing to State.  At least one school didn't get the projected 1, so now only 4 can qualify to go to State.  That seems wrong.  You're denying the kids from 'X' school the opportunity to go to State because 'Y' school had a bad day a week earlier. 

I can't stand how UIL determines the number of bands that go to state from each Area. There were 25 bands in Area F projected to get 1's in Region thus 5 advancing to State. At least one school didn't get the projected 1, so now only 4 can qualify to go to State. That seems wrong. You're denying the kids from 'X' school the opportunity to go to State because 'Y' school had a bad day a week earlier.

I see what you mean there but I wish the areas were just more evenly set up because while our 6A area has only 25 bands that can possibly make it there are areas with 35+ bands. The problem really shows up when you have a very competitive area like ours and amazing bands miss out on state performances even though in many other areas they would easily be state qualifiers.

Does anyone know if Region 9 is a go??

We have not been informed otherwise by our program. So as of now, yes. Rain has mostly stopped, and shouldn't come back for the rest of the evening.

I work a couple of miles from the performance stadium.  It stopped raining up here around noon-ish and has been dry, cloudy, and cool ever since.  

Awesome! Would you be able to tell us of any highlights you’d like to mention or your thoughts on who has a shot at making state? I’m especially curious of how your band is doing.

I can do that. I've seen many of these bands at least once either at BOA Conroe or Lone Star Preview, so I'll be able to have some thoughts about that. In fact, I already do, but refreshing my thoughts with a current run will be better than making any comments now.

TWHS has made some changes to the show, especially the ending, since BOA Conroe. They performed the updated version during their exhibition at LSP. I won't attempt to hide my bias, but it certainly improved the ending. It should all be there - preshow and full performance tonight and going forward. They will continue to tweak, of course.