2018 BOA Texas Season - who is performing where

of the Horn Rank "Top 30" - 17 of the top 30 residing in Texas - here are where those bands will be this BOA Season - as noted earlier - no Texas bands are scheduled to attend Grand Nats in 2018

• McAllen has only 1 of the top 30 - CTJ
  • Midland has no top 30 bands but it will still be a great show with some up and coming programs
  • Austin has 9 top 30 bands this year - second only to BOA SA for the bigger programs - CTJ/Vandegrift/Cedar Park/Hendrickson/Bowie/Cedar Ridge/Leander/Round Rock/Vista Ridge
  • DFW - 6 of the top 30 - Hebron/Marcus/Flowermound/Cedar Park/Kellar/LD Bell
  • Conroe - 5 of the top 30 - CTJ/Vandergrift/Reagan/TWHS/Bowie
  • Waco - 4 of the top 30 - new event that will prove to be entertaining - Marcus/Cedar Park/Hendrickson/Round Rock
  • San Antonio - all 17 of the top 30 Texas Bands are scheduled to compete

while I looked at the top 30 - there are many bands that will surprise us this year that are not in that top 30 - just remains to see who they will be - Austin, DFW, Conroe and especially San Antonio have plenty of bands that will shake up the finals - Midland should provide a program with its first BOA regional title

CTJ and Cedar Park have the most BOA performances this year with 3 Regionals and the SA Super Regional - I did not look at those that may perform out of state this year

this is what happens when a band geek cant sleep and has too much free time on their hands

of the Horn Rank "Top 30" - 17 of the top 30 residing in Texas - here are where those bands will be this BOA Season - as noted earlier - no Texas bands are scheduled to attend Grand Nats in 2018

• McAllen has only 1 of the top 30 - CTJ
  • Midland has no top 30 bands but it will still be a great show with some up and coming programs
  • Austin has 9 top 30 bands this year - second only to BOA SA for the bigger programs - CTJ/Vandegrift/Cedar Park/Hendrickson/Bowie/Cedar Ridge/Leander/Round Rock/Vista Ridge
  • DFW - 6 of the top 30 - Hebron/Marcus/Flowermound/Cedar Park/Kellar/LD Bell
  • Conroe - 5 of the top 30 - CTJ/Vandergrift/Reagan/TWHS/Bowie
  • Waco - 4 of the top 30 - new event that will prove to be entertaining - Marcus/Cedar Park/Hendrickson/Round Rock
  • San Antonio - all 17 of the top 30 Texas Bands are scheduled to compete
while I looked at the top 30 - there are many bands that will surprise us this year that are not in that top 30 - just remains to see who they will be - Austin, DFW, Conroe and especially San Antonio have plenty of bands that will shake up the finals - Midland should provide a program with its first BOA regional title

CTJ and Cedar Park have the most BOA performances this year with 3 Regionals and the SA Super Regional - I did not look at those that may perform out of state this year

this is what happens when a band geek cant sleep and has too much free time on their hands

Great and interesting info, thank you for compiling it!

I love that there are other band parents who love the activity as much as I do! #bandnerdsunite

I know in Plano (not just PESH), the band is only allowed one "big" trip every other year.   so one year they might go to New York (for concert band), but the next year they will just do a local Texas trip, maybe to San Antonio or Corpus for a music festival. 
Do other districts have these same restrictions?     If they go to BOA Grand Nationals, would they then be allowed another 

trip in the spring with their concert bands?   Just curious.      

I know in Plano (not just PESH), the band is only allowed one "big" trip every other year. so one year they might go to New York (for concert band), but the next year they will just do a local Texas trip, maybe to San Antonio or Corpus for a music festival.

Do other districts have these same restrictions? If they go to BOA Grand Nationals, would they then be allowed another

trip in the spring with their concert bands? Just curious.

Many districts have rules in place for how often bands are allowed to participate in contests outside of the State. It's common for a program to be allowed one major "competitive" trip per year.

My understanding is that Conroe ISD allows 1 out of state trip every 2 years, hence TWHS going to Indy every other year.

I do not know that our local districts have a set number of events our a routine - I know that they have to present to the school and district the value of the trip and justify the kinds time out of class but I think for many it is a cost thing. being cautious of the expense that parents have to shoulder each year

Okay I am going to say something that may be a bit unpopular but I’m actually disappointed to hear that there is now a Texas band going to GN this fall. For several reasons. Mostly I’m disappointed because I was excited to see some bands make finals that wouldn’t otherwise due to the presence of big Texas bands. Bands like O’Fallon. I was happy to see us out of the way for once, and other states given that rare chance to really shine. Of course there is the chance that Prosper won’t make finals, but it’s unlikely. I’m sure this announcement of a big Texas band coming up after we had all assumed none would has put a damper on the spirit of some other bands who had felt hopeful for perhaps the first time.

The other reason I am disappointed, and it’s totally a selfish one, but I was super excited to see us skip out on a year, and then come back in 2019 with a vengence. “The Texans are coming, the Texans are coming!” You know...something very Paul Revere-ish and all. :D

Thanks for the responses, I was just curious. Wasn't sure if that was just a Plano thing or not!    I know for me the trip years (out of state) were pretty expensive, and I also know they have to get it approved from the administration as well.   

It is always interesting to find out how other programs operate. Our band fees essentially double during Indy years, and there are many fundraisers and other opportunities to cover the costs. The band even runs a concession stand at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion here in The Woodlands where parents can work and have their earnings go directly to the band fees. Cost is always an issue, and as we all know the fees never decrease. Our fees this year are about $200 more than 2 years ago, which is a very significant increase for the non-Indy year. Of course we get desensitized - "Wow, this is so much less than last year!", so it almost looks like a bargain...

Okay I am going to say something that may be a bit unpopular but I’m actually disappointed to hear that there is now a Texas band going to GN this fall. For several reasons. Mostly I’m disappointed because I was excited to see some bands make finals that wouldn’t otherwise due to the presence of big Texas bands. Bands like O’Fallon. I was happy to see us out of the way for once, and other states given that rare chance to really shine. Of course there is the chance that Prosper won’t make finals, but it’s unlikely. I’m sure this announcement of a big Texas band coming up after we had all assumed none would has put a damper on the spirit of some other bands who had felt hopeful for perhaps the first time.

The other reason I am disappointed, and it’s totally a selfish one, but I was super excited to see us skip out on a year, and then come back in 2019 with a vengence. “The Texans are coming, the Texans are coming!” You know...something very Paul Revere-ish and all. :D

How to say this delicately... based on last year's result, Prosper is not a GN finalist lock. If they can find 4 or 5 points with this year's show, then they will be fighting for top 12. We'll have to see what they learned from GN 2017 and how they apply that to their show in 2018. I certainly enjoyed watching them at Indy, but a guaranteed finalist band, even without other TX bands present? I wouldn't say that right now, but we'll have a good data point after the DFW regional, and certainly after San Antonio.

In other words, this does not definitively move the needle for potential non-TX finalist bands at GN (yet). It will, however, knock someone out of semi-finals, as I think they are at least a semi-finalist.

How to say this delicately... based on last year's result, Prosper is not a GN finalist lock. If they can find 4 or 5 points with this year's show, then they will be fighting for top 12. We'll have to see what they learned from GN 2017 and how they apply that to their show in 2018. I certainly enjoyed watching them at Indy, but a guaranteed finalist band, even without other TX bands present? I wouldn't say that right now, but we'll have a good data point after the DFW regional, and certainly after San Antonio.

In other words, this does not definitively move the needle for potential non-TX finalist bands at GN (yet). It will, however, knock someone out of semi-finals, as I think they are at least a semi-finalist.

I would agree - no offense to their program but last year they placed 23rd in semi finals and even the lack of the normal 4-5 other Texas bands that make the run into finals, they are going to need a solid 90 to make finals 

I agree. Semi-finalist lock for Prosper. They have a chance at finals, but it would only be if they continue to improve at an accelerated rate.

Personally, I am hoping that American Fork from Utah makes finals this year since they are returning to GNats again.

AF has a very good program and has for many, many years - we used to host them in NorCal back in the 80's and they always swept - glad to see them make it to the "next 10" last year

I was also kind of excited that there wouldn't be any Texas bands attending this year so that they could come back hard in 2019.  :P But at least this gives prosper a better chance at finals as well. Is leander going to gn in 2019?

I was also kind of excited that there wouldn't be any Texas bands attending this year so that they could come back hard in 2019. :P But at least this gives prosper a better chance at finals as well. Is leander going to gn in 2019?

I definitely was pumped to see no Texas bands going this fall if only to pump things up for a big resurgence in 2019.

I don't have 100% confirmation that Leander is going back next year, but several parents told me last fall that they planned on it, and I definitely saw a Grand Nats meeting on the Leander calendar this month. I'm no longer in the loop as much since my kiddo graduated in '17, but there's definitely reason to believe it's going to happen. :)

Our fees this year are about $200 more than 2 years ago, which is a very significant increase for the non-Indy year. Of course we get desensitized - "Wow, this is so much less than last year!", so it almost looks like a bargain...

Ha, I know what you're saying! My 27 year old daughter played softball from elementary age thru her first 2 years of college and I used to think her Select team fees were awful. Then I went to the freshman parent orientation meeting for band and was told that fees and uniform bits and pieces would run around $500 a year. On top of that, the kids were expected to do private lessons weekly at a cost of $80 to $100 per month. Needless to say, it was quite the shock to this newbie band parent in 2013. Then they told us a few years later that we would be going to Grand Nats and that it would cost roughly $1300 per kid. By that time I was like, oh well, what's another grand in band fees? LET'S GO TO LUCAS OIL! Heh. And so it goes.

Hey, band is life baby!