BOA Austin 2018

Same.

Set up on the 50 to record halftime last night. VR videographer arrives and I offer the 50 to him and just before their show begins, the same group of kids I have had to politely ask to settle down at every halftime show for the past 2 years are at it again.

This is my last year as a high school band dad, so I was a little more stern this time and not sorry about it. Needless to say my VR colleague and I enjoyed an amazing show in piece.

Same.

Set up on the 50 to record halftime last night. VR videographer arrives and I offer the 50 to him and just before their show begins, the same group of kids I have had to politely ask to settle down at every halftime show for the past 2 years are at it again.

This is my last year as a high school band dad, so I was a little more stern this time and not sorry about it. Needless to say my VR colleague and I enjoyed an amazing show in piece.

Yes, I may or may not have hollered out SHUT UP a time or two.

Oh man I wish I had the guts to do that at the Vandegrift game, PLUS some kids decided to wave around a Trump flag during the band's performance! Could they have been more disrespectful to the performers?

I’ve seen my fair share of Trump and Confederate flags at games and attached to trucks. Some high school students have no class!

Oh man I wish I had the guts to do that at the Vandegrift game, PLUS some kids decided to wave around a Trump flag during the band's performance! Could they have been more disrespectful to the performers?

At all of our games there's a ton of kids on the field running around the sidelines, some have a long pole with a flag around 8 feet tall (I'm guessing) similar to the ones that the mascot has. At our 3rd game a couple kids ran that flag across the field during our show. Also they are all screaming and yelling when there's an injured player so they're the only ones making noise, but kids'll be kids.

One week and as always I could not be more excited about this contest! This has probably the most SA finalists of any regional at it and really makes it the hardest regional in the nation. This is going to be an incredible week I'm sure as each program gets ready for the contest and I am sure that this will be the best BOA ATX ever. I can't wait to see who shocks the crowd, and who gets us all in tears on our feet in the end and when we see the one show we all just fall in love with. It's going to be a great day for band I'm counting down the hours till I get to be at Kelly Reeves once again. 

Man - the weather does not appear favorable for the Austin show this weekend - 60% chance of Thunderstorms - hoping that gets better as the week goes on 

I'm hoping it will be like it was in McAllen and clear up completely. Even in the morning the forecast was 60% for the evening, but by about 1:00 is was changed to 0%. Whatever you do, don't wash your car this week!

Real question though, is there any contingency plan set up if it does rain?

Doubtful.  In the past, BOA has held indoor, exhibition stand-still performances for Finals if the weather wasn't going to cooperate.  However, since there is not a gymnasium on the grounds of Kelly Reeves, the worst case scenario is that we'll just power through Prelims and cancel Finals.  Placement for the programs that made Finals would be announced and a Regional Champion would be crowned.

Doubtful.  In the past, BOA has held indoor, exhibition stand-still performances for Finals if the weather wasn't going to cooperate.  However, since there is not a gymnasium on the grounds of Kelly Reeves, the worst case scenario is that we'll just power through Prelims and cancel Finals.  Placement for the programs that made Finals would be announced and a Regional Champion would be crowned.

Sounds like 2013

Unfortunately they can’t ALL medal here. What an unbelievable contest this one will be!

Everyone, come on down to BOA Austin. Where the day is long and hot, and the competition is on FIRE!

After seeing the majority of these bands I think Leander is in front. I still like Vandy to medal. The first 2-3 minutes of Vandy’s early show is great musically and visually but after that I loose interest.. not to say my opinion may change with the progression of the show,but for now it looks like too many people standing still - of course sounding awesome