Southwest H.S., TX*
Wakeland H.S., TX
Waller H.S., TX
Waxahachie H.S., TX
Westlake H.S., TX*
Westwood H.S., TX*

*Denotes a band registered for the Sunday Director Clinic

• 2 weeks later...

My assumption with Marcus at least is that their 2018 program was likely ready to go before drinkwater took the fine arts director job so we likely won’t be seeing a drastic change from them this season. 2019 however will be interesting.

She did have a lot of it ready. Still, Howard left as well, so all 3 directors will have 1 year or less at Marcus and might change a few things up. It'll be interesting, but a lot of kids and techs are returning, so who knows? 

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of the hardest contests to predict in quite a while.

You've got an entirely new venue where the majority of attending bands are from a region experiencing an unusual amount of staff movement (Leander ISD, Hendrickson, Round Rock).  You've also got this unusually large bubble of bands that are "pretty good". Several of those bands are hard to place because they have had loose cannon competition placements in recent years (Cy Falls, Westwood, Westlake, Berkner, Keller Central, Wakeland).  You've also got some newer faces that could potentially do very well (North Shore, Sachse, Cy Woods).

This'll be one of the more interesting contests to see how things pan out.

• 4 weeks later...

Haha no problem and yeah I've seen you around a whole lot! I just finally committed to making an account. Funny story I know you know LeanderMomma and apparently my girlfriend and I's moms sat next to her at BOA Austin and BOA SA. Small world.

Y'all are coming to Conroe this year?? Oh boy comp szn is gonna be WILDIN

It's been recently dropped :'(. I was looking forward to it but around the time in school with grades and doing 4 BOA comps PLUS State would be really really hectic. I understand dropping it but I did really want to attend.

Darn it! I wanted to sail the Sea of Tremendous Love! Although that does make our job just a little easier, y'know what I mean?

It's been recently dropped :'(. I was looking forward to it but around the time in school with grades and doing 4 BOA comps PLUS State would be really really hectic. I understand dropping it but I did really want to attend.

Ooofff, was really looking forward to seeing your show at Conroe, even if it would spell more crazy competition for us. Regardless, I hope I’ll be able to watch CTJ performances as much as I can in person. See you all at McAllen! -Seven Lakes

• 2 weeks later...

I wish CTJ would’ve made the Waco regional this year. Too busy at work to make trip down to the Alamodome this time of year. Haven’t seen them perform live yet. Will be good to see the other Central Texas bands though.

That really is unfortunate. BOA Waco would have been even more awesome with CTJ. Does anyone have video of what they're up to this year?

Waco is such a gorgeous town with the worst luck in catastrophic events.

I can see why Johnson doesn't want to make the very long trip. Recently did it myself and barely stayed awake.

Odd question: but in 1997 Churchill won this regional. I've been trying to find the name of their opener with the vague hint that it's Shostakovich. Anyone know the piece?

That really is unfortunate. BOA Waco would have been even more awesome with CTJ. Does anyone have video of what they're up to this year?

no video out that I am aware of - homecoming is on the 14th and they generally do a full run after the homecoming game so I am sure there may be some pirate videos out there after that. I have heard that the show is intense - big production with a huge sound and a bigger size than last year - looking forward to seeing what it looks like

I wish CTJ would’ve made the Waco regional this year. Too busy at work to make trip down to the Alamodome this time of year. Haven’t seen them perform live yet. Will be good to see the other Central Texas bands though.

Interesting you mentioned that. BOA Waco has only one HS Band from the Entire Region 8 of UIL Attending. That is Robinson. Four of the Class 6A Schools are going to the Texas Music Championships in Round Rock  and 14 of  the other schools to include Waco High School are going to the Gatesville Marching Contest. Most of the Bands you recognize are from the Austin Area, which is almost 100 miles from Waco. 

no video out that I am aware of - homecoming is on the 14th and they generally do a full run after the homecoming game so I am sure there may be some pirate videos out there after that. I have heard that the show is intense - big production with a huge sound and a bigger size than last year - looking forward to seeing what it looks like

Even more intense than last year? They set quite the bar with that San Antonio performance. Watching videos a year later still gives me goosebumps like no other HS show. Absolutely incredible.

Interesting you mentioned that. BOA Waco has only one HS Band from the Entire Region 8 of UIL Attending. That is Robinson. Four of the Class 6A Schools are going to the Texas Music Championships in Round Rock and 14 of the other schools to include Waco High School are going to the Gatesville Marching Contest. Most of the Bands you recognize are from the Austin Area, which is almost 100 miles from Waco.

I was about to question your knowledge of Texas geography until I actually checked. It never occurred to me that Austin really that far from Waco. It feels like just a hop and a skip away.

Now I'm super excited. If anyone has video they're allowed to post, please do :)

their was a rouge video posted from a football game last weekend that I got to view yesterday - but it is gone now - big sound and typical CTJ high speed drill - no props or new uniforms so I am hoping the rain stays away for their homecoming this Friday

their was a rouge video posted from a football game last weekend that I got to view yesterday - but it is gone now - big sound and typical CTJ high speed drill - no props or new uniforms so I am hoping the rain stays away for their homecoming this Friday

Found a video. It’s not looking too great. It’s early in the season so who knows. https://youtu.be/PY_obuSYBEY

Found a video. It’s not looking too great. It’s early in the season so who knows. https://youtu.be/PY_obuSYBEY

I remember seeing a video from early October of CTJ last year and not seeing all the hype whatsoever. But I was absolutely amazed when I saw them in San Antonio. The way is see it is...it’s super dirty? Good. That means they have a super challenging show that pushes their boundaries but will cause them to grow exponentially by the end of the season. I think what they have is phenomenal if you look at it long term.

It’s extremely hard to top your best season yet especially if it’s was a BOA San Antonio championship, but I do think this will be a phenomenal year for CTJ.