2018 BOA San Antonio?

The following makes me scratch my head:

1. CTJ is the Texas band for visual demand and achievement 
  2. Hebron is (by far) the Texas band for musical demand, achievement, and execution
  3. Vandy is the second band of music demand, achievement, and execution (like Hebron lacks in visual demand)
  4. How does CTJ beat Hebron in a music caption in 2017?
  5. How does Vandy score so high on viz that they medal at SA 2017?

The discussions get really strange when you start looking at individual band success because they often contradict pretty general paradigms.

The following makes me scratch my head:

• CTJ is the Texas band for visual demand and achievement
  • Hebron is (by far) the Texas band for musical demand, achievement, and execution
  • Vandy is the second band of music demand, achievement, and execution (like Hebron lacks in visual demand)
  • How does CTJ beat Hebron in a music caption in 2017?
  • How does Vandy score so high on viz that they medal at SA 2017?
The discussions get really strange when you start looking at individual band success because they often contradict pretty general paradigms.
Question — are these observations based on scores, or comments people make thru the season? Understand that some are based on prior year scores but the others not so sure

I'd say they are generalizations that were especially true last year.

Cool, just what I figured, but wanted to be sure.

I think you could say the same about Hebron’s music programming as CTJ’s show design — it hides dirt well. Love Hebron and their shows. But, I’ve listened to many of them so much that you begin to realize that, despite the technicality, there still is some lacking execution. I think their San Antonio finals performance may have been a little more rough than usual, which may explain them not taking the W in music.

Just my two cents

1. Reagan

2. CTJ

3. Flower Mound

4. Hebron

5. Leander

6. Vandegrift

7. Vista Ridge

8. Woodlands

9. Keller

10. Bowie

11. Cedar Park

12. Marcus

13. Cedar Ridge

14. Seven Lakes

Thoughts?

Based on everything I’ve seen and heard, this is a pretty good prediction. The only thing is that a lot of bubble bands are on par with Seven Lakes so a multitude of different bands could take the last few spots.

Based on everything I’ve seen and heard, this is a pretty good prediction. The only thing is that a lot of bubble bands are on par with Seven Lakes so a multitude of different bands could take the last few spots.

I agree 7L Oak Ridge Hendrickson or Timber Creek could take that last spot i think

Incorrect. This statement reveals a fundamental misunderstanding of judging. Seeding a competition is a time-honored tradition and history shows us past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior. While it might be tempting to say this could become self reinforcing, all you have to do is watch the historic videos (and understand the judge's perspective) to see they generally get it right. It works. Any historic bias ends when the music starts. Your last sentence appears to reveal your own bias, or perhaps frustration, and completely fails Dawkins Razor. Unless you provide support, it can be dismissed without rebuttal even though there is amply evidence to the contrary.

See above:

Past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior.

Of course the judges know the history of the bands involved and they have some idea of what to expect. That's not bias, it's necessary competence. Nobody gets "rooked". If the new band is clearly better, it will be reflected in the scores. Keep in mind, "clearly better" and "just as good" are different standards to a judge and there is a long-standing tradition across subjective competitions that the challenger must make a statement. If this is what you mean by "bias" I will still disagree with you and strongly recommend you get used to it. Nobody backs into Finals.

You did say they were biased, prejudicial, and unfair. Some level of backlash shouldn't surprise you.

Nobody will get screwed. Somebody will definitely be very disappointed. But that happens every year, regardless of how many judging panels there are or how the schedule is determined. The solution is to avoid being a bubble band. Continue to do the hard work to get better and make an undeniable statement.

I said the rules for ranking were biased not the judges.    I am very familiar with judging and understand how it works.  I am far from naive.  Did I say anyone would back into finals?   Do not attempt to put words in my mouth.    I will not put worlds, meanings, or intentions in yours.

Respect.

I immediately thought of them as well. Also since College Park did really well yesterday I’d add them as a possible candidate. Maybe Pearland or SFA.

Oooooohhhhh everyone is doing so well this season, it’s so exciting!!

SFA will not be at San Antonio.

Pioneer has improved A LOT since their performance at BOA McAllen. I say that they will get at least 2nd in the 2A division, with a caption to go along with it

Yes they have! With two weeks to go it’s going to be a very interesting race between Rouse and Pioneer for the AA title. Perhaps the initial weather caused some delay at the start? Regardless they seem to be on a full tank now. Best of luck to both groups in SA!

I said the rules for ranking were biased not the judges. I am very familiar with judging and understand how it works. I am far from naive. Did I say anyone would back into finals? Do not attempt to put words in my mouth. I will not put worlds, meanings, or intentions in yours.

Respect.

I have no interest in debating semantics with you, nor will I be sidetracked by a non sequitur. Especially when others have also tried to help with information and perspective and you responded to them with the same logical fallacy. You are still missing (or ignoring) the point.

I hope that you enjoy the competition and your concerns don't spoil it for you. Please don't be this guy. http://www.poorlydrawnlines.com/comic/mad/

It's two days of wonderful performances regardless of who makes Finals. Good luck to your band program.

Enjoy the journey, not just the destination.

It should be a great competition.  From what I have seen it looks like there are 6 or so bands that could win or medal.  And a lot that will be fighting for finals spots.  It feels that this year is more open than previous years with less of a clear favorite of one of two bands that are locks to win.  I don't think it is because quality has gone down, it feels that quality has gone up this year. 

After watching LISD bands on Saturday....

Vista Ridge has such a great show, top 8 finals lock!

Vandy takes Music Caption... I am 87% sure about this.

Leander is a top 4 probably medal lock. So fun to watch!!

I love it when the Vandy brass cranks out those huge long notes at the beginning of their show.  Pure bliss!  

Vista is definitely on the rise (ha, no offense to Vandegrift).  Wonderful show this year!

Leander is cooking for sure this year, but I never know where to place them so I usually don't even try.  

And we really haven't even seen anyone else other than CTJ and Cedar Park due to Raintember and Raintober, so I just honestly don't have a clue!!  I have missed seeing the DFW area bands shine this year, and the Woodlands as well.  It's just been crazy and I think very few of us truly know what to expect at BOA SA this year.  Too many unknowns!!

After watching LISD bands on Saturday....

Vista Ridge has such a great show, top 8 finals lock!

Vandy takes Music Caption... I am 87% sure about this.

Leander is a top 4 probably medal lock. So fun to watch!!

I wouldn't count out Hebron or Leander on that music caption. Vandegrift sounds great, but not quite as good as last year.

I wouldn't count out Hebron or Leander on that music caption. Vandegrift sounds great, but not quite as good as last year.

I agree that both Hebron or Leander can take that caption. They both sound incredible, not taking anything away from Vandy as I love their balance and power.

I think we are going to see a surprise with the new 2-panel finals selections. 

I see 2 LISD (Leander) bands bringing home medals. All of LISD is rocking this year. There's a great chance to see:

Vandy

Leander

Vista Ridge

Cedar Park

Rouse second 4 as Panel 1's top 4 is very tough and they will be playing with little to no pressure. Their sound has really matured this year and they are performing at a high level. 

all play on Saturday night.