2017 BOA San Antonio Super Regionals Predictions

I only saw the last 14 bands this afternoon but I definitely thought Cy Fair put on a great show

They performed it superbly but if I'm being honest it didn't strike me as very memorable.

I only saw the last 14 bands this afternoon but I definitely thought Cy Fair put on a great show

They performed it superbly but if I'm being honest it didn't strike me as very memorable.

Day one of my first BOA San Antonio was great, absolutely incredible performances across the board today, there are definitely a few standouts but congrats to everyone on some great showings!  Had a blast helping out with the live blog again, feel so fortunate to be able to do that.  Really looking forward to day two.   

Day one of my first BOA San Antonio was great, absolutely incredible performances across the board today, there are definitely a few standouts but congrats to everyone on some great showings!  Had a blast helping out with the live blog again, feel so fortunate to be able to do that.  Really looking forward to day two.   

who are your standouts? top 5 from today?

After Friday Prelims...

(Bold means already performed)

1.Flower Mound

2.Avon

3.The Woodlands

4.Claudia Taylor Johnson

5.Hebron

6.Leander

7.Vandegrift

8.Ronald Reagan

9.Marcus

10.Hendrickson

11.Round Rock

12.James Bowie

13.LD Bell

14.Keller

---------------------------------------------------------

15.Cedar Park

16.Vista Ridge

17.Cedar Ridge

18.Winston Churchill

19.Cy-Fair

who are your standouts? top 5 from today?

Missed the first block, and thinking in terms of shows I just loved:

- CTJ

- Leander

- Vista Ridge

- Hendrickson

- Cedar Ridge

The energy and effect of CTJs show was overwhelming. Never ever ever experienced anything like that opening hit from a high school band in person. That was nuclear.

Leander has really transformed and changed that show into something incredibly interesting and super exciting. They’ve done a ton to really enhance the thematic side of things and it really shows.

Vista Ridge was the surprise of the day, knew they were good but WOW they sold that show for everything it’s got. The amount of raw power they can push was met by only a few today. Great stuff.

The energy from Hendrickson’s fans was pretty infectious, and that show is just so so so entertaining and well designed. The ending was easily one of my favorite things I saw today. Just incredibly enthralling.

Cedar Ridge has had one of my favorite shows all season and they didn’t disappoint. Such an accessible and friendly show that’s impossible not to love. And that Rodriguez percussion is off the charts.

Need to see Ronald Reagan again, LOVE the beginning and end and things they do with the dance team and guard, middle part of the show is just a lot to take in and I look forward to getting that chance again.

Missed the first block, and thinking in terms of shows I just loved:

- CTJ

- Leander

- Vista Ridge

- Hendrickson

- Cedar Ridge

The energy and effect of CTJs show was overwhelming. Never ever ever experienced anything like that opening hit from a high school band in person. That was nuclear.

Leander has really transformed and changed that show into something incredibly interesting and super exciting. They’ve done a ton to really enhance the thematic side of things and it really shows.

Vista Ridge was the surprise of the day, knew they were good but WOW they sold that show for everything it’s got. The amount of raw power they can push was met by only a few today. Great stuff.

The energy from Hendrickson’s fans was pretty infectious, and that show is just so so so entertaining and well designed. The ending was easily one of my favorite things I saw today. Just incredibly enthralling.

Cedar Ridge has had one of my favorite shows all season and they didn’t disappoint. Such an accessible and friendly show that’s impossible not to love. And that Rodriguez percussion is off the charts.

Need to see Ronald Reagan again, LOVE the beginning and end and things they do with the dance team and guard, middle part of the show is just a lot to take in and I look forward to getting that chance again.

You're putting Vista Ridge and Cedar Ridge over Round Rock? Not saying you're wrong, but wondering why?

You're putting Vista Ridge and Cedar Ridge over Round Rock? Not saying you're wrong, but wondering why?

No no no, this was just a list of five shows that I enjoyed the most. Not thinking a ton about placements to be honest. Just enjoying the shows and experience.

:)

Round Rocks show is a lot to digest, and I don’t necessarily mean that in a bad way. It’s so non stop and constant that everything flies by so fast and before you know it moments have passed and you just missed them. I look forward to watching this one a few more times over the next week through GN to be able to process it all. I think they’ve made some great changes and LOVE the new visual aesthetic, just comes down to my personal taste.

If I did a top five ranking who knows what would happen, I’ll leave that to the guys in green. It’s hard enough trying to predict it!

No no no, this was just a list of five shows that I enjoyed the most. Not thinking a ton about placements to be honest. Just enjoying the shows and experience.

:)

Round Rocks show is a lot to digest, and I don’t necessarily mean that in a bad way. It’s so non stop and constant that everything flies by so fast and before you know it moments have passed and you just missed them. I look forward to watching this one a few more times over the next week through GN to be able to process it all. I think they’ve made some great changes and LOVE the new visual aesthetic, just comes down to my personal taste.

If I did a top five ranking who knows what would happen, I’ll leave that to the guys in green. It’s hard enough trying to predict it!

No, I totally understand what you are saying. The show is complex to me and honestly requires more from me than most shows. I did find myself being unsure how I felt about it after it was over. My wife was following the TXbands feed and noticed that there was no commentary after they performed. I told her that they were likely, in my opinion, so busy watching the show that there wasn't any time to write any before the next band performed. I'm still not completely sure just how I feel about it. It was well done, I liked it, but it made me work for it. Maybe another viewing will help.

Personally CTJ, Leander, Reagan, Hendrickson, Vista Ridge, Cedar Park, Churchill were all better than Round Rock. Better executed shows, as well as more engaging.

I wouldn't say they are better, just different. The ones you just mentioned are big, loud bands and are more entertaining and for the most part, they don't take many risks. Round Rock is a much smaller band that takes a high risk, high reward gamble. The judges may or may not appreciate that. They watch so much of the same thing all day long and sometimes something completely different gets rewarded if done well.

Day one of my first BOA San Antonio was great, absolutely incredible performances across the board today, there are definitely a few standouts but congrats to everyone on some great showings! Had a blast helping out with the live blog again, feel so fortunate to be able to do that. Really looking forward to day two.

It was great meeting you today Landry!