2017 BOA San Antonio Super Regionals Predictions

Wow all these bands are so so good. Just a few comments. LD Bell- clean show but felt the same as last year. Coppell- can I say wow to those woodwinds! Most Fun show of the morning. Keller- beautiful sound and definitely in finals. KC and TC- they're close but not yet there. Bowie- I missed because I stepped out for a bit. Vandy was amazing as expected. But something was missing for me. Same as my Bell experience. Maybe a bit too same as last year in a year where everyone is bringing it. Hebron- holy moly in it to win it

HEBRON WHAT.

I could never grasp triple tonguing when I played my instrument - and then Hebron has their whole brass section do it on the move.

Not to mention the double tonguing woodwinds. On the move.

If they lose Best Music, I propose we riot.

The only band they could ever lose the music caption to is FloMo. I won't riot of that happens. I love flomo.

Some extended thoughts:

Vandegrift - My initial reaction was, "Oh, this opening is a lot like Reagan's from last year!" And when you hear that most of the music they will be performing is overplayed Beethoven pieces, you think you know what to expect. But I think they really changed it up enough that I didn't mind. There are definitely some "fake out" moments in the show where you expect the music to do one thing, only to have it go somewhere else -- like, for instance, when it turns to total silence in the ballad! But honestly, they're such strong performers that you really don't even need novel arrangements of the pieces. The performers just SELL it. And when I saw the choir walk out onto that stage, I knew we were in for a pretty spectacular conclusion, flags and everything.

The Woodlands - I think they had the misfortune of having a rough run right after Vandegrift had an amazing one. I think what TWHS does every year is so interesting, and they're the most forward-thinking group in the state, but what has become increasingly clear is that they're being outclassed by their competitors in Texas musically. Even the brass at the very beginning of the show with the Scythian Suite just completely lacked clarity. And that's the part they've known and practiced the longest! To top it off, the show doesn't really make any sense. It hurts to say it, but this year will probably be more like 2015 than 2016 for them.

Hebron - I don't think Hebron is really treading any new ground with this show, but when you sound like they do, it doesn't really matter. For me, virtually all of the effect from this show comes from the music performance. In typical Hebron fashion, they seem to cram as many notes as possible into 8+ minutes. But where most groups would fall flat on their faces, Hebron excels marvelously. But it wouldn't be so marvelous if the technique were not matched by some really exquisite phrasing and attention to what most would call the more musical details of performing music. All the playing just has such a wonderful character to it. And of course it's beautifully sonorous. For Hebron, the visual program has often been an Achilles heel. I don't think that will be the case this year. I think the visual had some fine moments in it and was well-performed. I don't think it will hold them back.

It's so surreal to have Avon in the alamo dome. Seeing them here makes me realize why Texas bands can never win the visual caption at Nats. Crazy amount of difficulty achieved at such a high level. This performance in particular was very emotional. Anyone who is counting them out of the gold is foolish.

It's so surreal to have Avon in the alamo dome. Seeing them here makes me realize why Texas bands can never win the visual caption at Nats. Crazy amount of difficulty achieved at such a high level. This performance in particular was very emotional. Anyone who is counting them out of the gold is foolish.

I still think Hebron has music so far.