2017 BOA San Antonio Super Regionals Predictions

I think you'd get to a "This isn't safe to drive at" speed before "speeding" on 35... Those cars fly by!

Yes, when the traffic that's holding everyone to an excruciating 45 mph let's up for even a minute, cars will jet away easily at speeds of 90 mph and up. It's either one or the other on I-35 between Dallas and San Antonio!

Vista Ridge - They were 10th in Austin, but improved to 6th at Southlake even with a super duper early prelims performance time. They could certainly surprise and get into finals, especially if they add Siberian Huskies to their show.

Wait, what???!!!

I feel like I'm saying that a lot lately. :D

But seriously??

Excellent writing and analysis here, by the way! Now I'm even more pumped for the upcoming weekend!

The one thing I’m disliking about SA is that so many other good bands feel like they stand no chance at all. That’s unfortunate. I heard one band mom say that their band is begging not to have to sit through finals since they aren’t expected to make it because they have state a few days later and figure they need the downtime. Another band mom was questioning going to BOA anymore since there are so few finalists and their band never seems to make it. I get that the experience is great, etc. but by the time many of these kids are juniors/seniors, it seems to promote burnout.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think everyone should make finals or “get a trophy,” but it’s just discouraging that it almost seems decided already. It further seems discouraging that many schools won’t allow or can’t afford trips to Finals but Avon, who is nearby, decides to come to SA and take a spot potentially from a team that SA is the biggest event they do.

Just trying to understand how this keeps teams participating year after year. Maybe I’m missing the big picture.

The one thing I’m disliking about SA is that so many other good bands feel like they stand no chance at all. That’s unfortunate. I heard one band mom say that their band is begging not to have to sit through finals since they aren’t expected to make it because they have state a few days later and figure they need the downtime. Another band mom was questioning going to BOA anymore since there are so few finalists and their band never seems to make it. I get that the experience is great, etc. but by the time many of these kids are juniors/seniors, it seems to promote burnout.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think everyone should make finals or “get a trophy,” but it’s just discouraging that it almost seems decided already. It further seems discouraging that many schools won’t allow or can’t afford trips to Finals but Avon, who is nearby, decides to come to SA and take a spot potentially from a team that SA is the biggest event they do.

Just trying to understand how this keeps teams participating year after year. Maybe I’m missing the big picture.

Well remember nothing is ever a sure thing. A disaster could happen to any if those bands or a certain band just might have a stellar performance and earn their spot. I hope a disaster never happens, but it happened to us in mcallen where we were predicted to medal but ended up in 22nd place.

What are BOA rules regarding live animals?

Directly out of the Adjudication Handbook:

22.03 The following are NOT ALLOWED in a Performance or on the Performance Field:

• Any equipment, object, or material (including, but not limited to debris, powder, water, or other liquids)

that may cause damage to the Performance Field or Performance Area, that presents a safety

hazard, or that disrupts the scheduled flow of the contest

• Pyrotechnics of any kind, including fire, fireworks, or the discharge of arms

• Lights-out routines

Animals

We definitely wish we could bring out some huskies  :lol:

Thanks for the offer but you're off the hook and the secret is safe with me. :-)

I looked earlier today with no luck but I found it now using an "indirect path". I guess I just needed a heads up to try again.

Edit: They're still being somewhat secretive. The video I found is a big hint but it's still a relatively low angle and narrow view, hiding details of the drill and forms, compared to what the judges will see. (Yes, I was up high at DMI.)

Edit 2: More digging turned up a prelims video from the judges view and there's a clear differences between the two performances.

Updated Predictions for 10/29/2017...

1. Flower Mound H.S., TX

2. Avon H.S., IN

3. Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
4. Hebron H.S., TX

5. Vandegrift H.S., TX

6. Marcus H.S., TX

7. The Woodlands H.S., TX

8. Ronald Reagan H.S., TX

--------------------------------------------------- -Bubble-

9. Round Rock H.S., TX

10. Leander H.S., TX

11. LD Bell H.S., TX

12. James Bowie H.S., TX

13. Hendrickson H.S., TX

14. Keller H.S., TX

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Cutoff

15. Cedar Park H.S., TX
16. Winston Churchill H.S., TX

17. Vista Ridge H.S., TX

18. Cedar Ridge H.S., TX

----------------------------------------------------

19. Cy-Fair H.S., TX         

20. Timber Creek H.S., TX                                                                                          
21. Clear Brook H.S., TX     

22. Wakeland H.S., TX                                                                                                                   

23. North Shore H.S., TX                                                                                                                          
24. New Braunfels H.S., TX                                                                    
25. Pearland H.S., TX                                                                                                                      

Finally got to see a video with Keller's full show. Their closer looks very "Keller-esque" which in my opinion is a good thing. It will be interesting to see if they make finals or not with such a big bubble this year. Anyone that has seen their full show have any opinions?

First of all, I think they will be in finals but I wouldn’t be completely shocked it they aren’t.

I love that they are doing something new this year while still keeping the “Keller” feel. Musically they are probably one of the best bands at San Antonio. For example, they were 3rd in music in SA prelims last but then somehow fell to 13th in finals. This year they topped Marcus at birdville in music which is a huge accomplishment. Also, I want to point out that in my opinion, they are one of the few bands that marches and plays as much as they do and still sound as good.

Visually they are extremely ambitious but their drill isn’t clean. Probably due to the fact that their hardest drill is right at the end of the show and it is ALL done while playing at a fast tempo. You can literally see people running to different sets, which makes it even more impressive that they sound good while doing it. Thier drill should bring strong visual GE if it were clean, which it is not right now.

Based on years past, they struggle a bit with GE. They look to be focused on GE this year which will probably help them out but thier show is missing the cohesiveness that I see out of the LISD bands where they have three very related parts of the show. I can kind of see that Keller is trying to have very different styles of music across thier show maybe like they are trying to find their “Sense Of Direction” but some moments feel off compared to others. It would be fun to see how many individual arrows are in this show because between the props, guard, and drill it is kind of insane lol!

They are hard to predict because they never get to compete with other bands around thier skill level like Round Rock, Cedar Park, etc. They really only get to compete with the LISD bands so it’s hard to track progress.

Helps bands on the field and keeps time, makes note of any penalties. That sort of thing.

That's actually the timing and penalties judge that does that. I'm not entirely sure what the chief judge does other than just make sure all the other judges are in the right place at the right time with the right supplies.

That's actually the timing and penalties judge that does that. I'm not entirely sure what the chief judge does other than just make sure all the other judges are in the right place at the right time with the right supplies.

Do they judge the judges' judging? :P