I’ll break my vow of silence to say this about Broken Arrow: their music is absolutely magnificent — probably my favorite of the year at this stage — and the movement from the band is quite extraordinary. But the overall visual program is disappointing in its familiarity. The cynical part of me (which is honestly probably most of me) wants to say that Wes might have decided to do a sequel this year just to show his other clients that he can win Nationals even with recycled ideas, although probably it has more to do with the fact that he didn’t have as much involvement last year as he wanted to have.

Definitely. Seems odd they would use the same concepts two years in a row. 

Who is the Wes you're referring to?

I feel like if they stepped up their visual design anymore they could likely contend for san Antonio or national finals

I totally agree . From past years they have shot up into something incredible in just this year. Wish they could attend these types of contests but haltom city area doesn't have much money and there program itself has very little source of money and boa is more money but I wish I could see them go to these . Hopefully we'll see them in the future.

I totally agree . From past years they have shot up into something incredible in just this year. Wish they could attend these types of contests but haltom city area doesn't have much money and there program itself has very little source of money and boa is more money but I wish I could see them go to these . Hopefully we'll see them in the future.

I saw the Haltom HS band at the Richland vs Haltom football game and was extremely impressed. Their show was beautiful, seems the type of show Marcus would do on a State year. I would also love to see them attend GN but I concur, the Haltom City area in general isn’t as affluent as their suburbian neighbors to the north. Haltom band reminds me of bands of LD Bell, Duncanville, North Shore, etc. Tremendous bands but not so fincancially diverse.

I saw the Haltom HS band at the Richland vs Haltom football game and was extremely impressed. Their show was beautiful, seems the type of show Marcus would do on a State year. I would also love to see them attend GN but I concur, the Haltom City area in general isn’t as affluent as their suburbian neighbors to the north. Haltom band reminds me of bands of LD Bell, Duncanville, North Shore, etc. Tremendous bands but not so fincancially diverse.

This is very accurate . Haltom doesn't have much money to work with I believe because of the area and most kids cannot afford the cost even to be in band as well as several other groups but I will say they are definelty pulling It off with what they do have . Really impresssd and Always and I can't wait to see there final product toward the end of the season

• 2 weeks later...

So after Indy and St. Louis supers, we will actually have some relative groupings after San Antonio. With Avon and Westwood attending Indy and St. Louis respectively (and both top half finalists), the relative placements and margins at San Antonio could be an indicator of how things may go down at GN. It is only an indication, as 2 weeks will have gone by for SA, and another week for GN, but it is still something to consider. I'm looking forward to this and seeing all the great shows in person - Flomarching, while doing much better this year, just doesn't match live.

Anyone else really not feeling BA's show this year? I mean obviously in terms of execution and performance it's fantastic, the kids are insanely talented, but the design just seems very weird to me. Not a huge fan of the uniforms, or the title of the show (Age of Discovery: Return to Xenon), or the pacing in general. I don't know. I might be crazy. But I think we might see BA place slightly lower than normal (read: not medalling).

Anyone else really not feeling BA's show this year? I mean obviously in terms of execution and performance it's fantastic, the kids are insanely talented, but the design just seems very weird to me. Not a huge fan of the uniforms, or the title of the show (Age of Discovery: Return to Xenon), or the pacing in general. I don't know. I might be crazy. But I think we might see BA place slightly lower than normal (read: not medalling).

I think that's within the realm of the reasonable, just considering the score spread from STL.

While I am not the biggest fan, I definitely appreciate BA's effort to change up their show style this year. I've felt in the past few years it's almost reached the point of self-parody. It's a similar problem LD Bell has faced in recent years (so ultimately it may be a Cartwright thing). Always resulting to the massive Guard Ocean, overly dramatic bodywork/theatrics; GE for the sake of GE basically. Really, really felt this way about 2013, 2015, 2016 -- I think 2014 is incredible, though. While they do have the massive guard, as always, I think a lot of aspects from a performance standpoint are much further developed than usual. Visual is going to be immaculate as always, but music has been their struggle. I think they sound pretty sharp this year. This isn't to say the BA archetypes aren't there; it just ... feels a little more subdued. When you look beyond the carts

I'd love to see them return to something simple -- yet brilliant -- like Aqua. What'd I'd give to see that Finals year live again!

1-2: Carmel/Flower Mound

3-4: Avon/Broken Arrow

5-8: Castle, Marcus, The Woodlands, Round Rock

9-12: Blue Springs, Homestead, Marian Catholic, Union

Those are my tier predictions, though Round Rock could definitely be lower. I think people are too focused on their Conroe results, which isn't really fair considering they had some significant issues there that happened out of nowhere. They were 3rd in Austin, above Leander and Cedar Park, with a very short show. I think they'll peak at just the right time. Woodlands will either clean up great for SA/Nats or not be able to clean in time. We shall see. Homestead is another group with a TON of room to grow and I think they'll be in great shape come nats.

My guess as to order? Something like this:

1. Flomo

2. Carmel

3. Broken Arrow

4. Avon

5. The Woodlands

6. Castle

7. Marcus

8. Round Rock

9. Homestead

10. Union

11. Blue Springs

12. Marian Catholic

If it is Marian's year to miss finals (and I don't think it is, but if it is), then William Mason and O'Fallon Township are my next outs. Either of those could pop into finals with a great showing in semis OR of one of the lower possible finalists has a weaker run.

I really wish FloMo and Hebron went to Nats this year. That would have made things even more interesting. They've had a very similar season to Carmel and Avon, it seems.

Flower Mound will be attending.

But I agree with you about Hebron. Would love to see how that would have affected predictions.

Initial Predictions:

1.Carmel (1st-5th)

2.Avon (1st-5th)

3.Flower Mound(1st-5th)

4.Broken Arrow (1st-6th)

-

5.The Woodlands(1st-12th)

6.Marcus(5th-9th)

-

7.Round Rock(5th-18th)

8.Blue Springs(6th-17th)

9.Castle(6th-14th)