2024 WGI Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, Rubisco said:

😍🤩😘

I wonder if Grand Oaks will remain in A after WGI Houston. The entire guard seems to be doing above class skills. Cypress Woods and Katy both do a fair number of above class skills as well, but I think Grand Oaks stands out by how seamlessly they connect their phrases with movement. It's very fluid for your typical A guard. Anyway, it's a wonderful show, regardless of where it ends up.

Katy is giving me Tony Hawk's Pro Skater vibes, and I love it. 😂 There is no question about the performers' identity.

Cypress Woods indeed has not suffered at all from the director transition. Is this a chimney sweep show? I love the aesthetic.

Clear Brook's floor probably isn't done. This doesn't seem like the final look for their show. Too much black all over the place. The kids, however, spin and toss and move among the best in this class. I agree that the overall vibe feels similar to last year's show. It has a sultry kind of feel.

I haven't watched the others. I still need to finish up the January ones. 😭

Cypress Woods’ show is indeed about chimney sweeps. It’s is called “My Day Will Come.”

23 hours ago, Rubisco said:

😍🤩😘

I wonder if Grand Oaks will remain in A after WGI Houston. The entire guard seems to be doing above class skills. Cypress Woods and Katy both do a fair number of above class skills as well, but I think Grand Oaks stands out by how seamlessly they connect their phrases with movement. It's very fluid for your typical A guard. Anyway, it's a wonderful show, regardless of where it ends up.

Katy is giving me Tony Hawk's Pro Skater vibes, and I love it. 😂 There is no question about the performers' identity.

Cypress Woods indeed has not suffered at all from the director transition. Is this a chimney sweep show? I love the aesthetic.

Clear Brook's floor probably isn't done. This doesn't seem like the final look for their show. Too much black all over the place. The kids, however, spin and toss and move among the best in this class. I agree that the overall vibe feels similar to last year's show. It has a sultry kind of feel.

I haven't watched the others. I still need to finish up the January ones. 😭

def less dead air b/w the phrases w/ grand oaks, agreed. not sure whether it'll be promoted. steering committee worked in mysterious ways last yr. questionable how they saw it fit to promote jordan but not dobyns-bennett, unless db just happened to get way better at the very end of the season to win their class by 3 points.

at least jordan seems like they could possibly have a comeback this season. glad to see that.

This has nothing to do with WGI, but I hate seeing Lumberton not achieving what they used to back in pre-covid years. Both guards had the 2 lowest scores out of any division at TCGC Langham Creek. I really hope that they thrive in the rest of the season. Hoping one of these years, they jump into WGI, as their director has WGI experience.

Here's Tarpon Springs from yesterday.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p3tmj9GaYmM&pp=ygUMVGFycG9uIGd1YXJk

They've brought back the musicians and are broadcasting "news" on TV in real time. I'm getting Coppell 2023 vibes from these cameramen. Also Carmel 2004, for those old enough to remember that marching show. Super high energy and fun. Lots of 6s and rolls. It's another crowd pleaser. I think I would agree that the performers are a bit stronger than the show itself, at least from a staging perspective. It's a little scattershot looking. I get "random acts of color guard" vibes pretty frequently, sort of like the 2022 show. But then the performers are killing it, so...

Definitely a medal contender!

12 hours ago, Rubisco said:

in the fight for gold, SW isn't looking very competitive at all, with Avon beating Carmel by 3 points today at the Brownsburg IHSCGA contest.

I saw that!  I think Avon is in it to win it and there ain’t nobody gettin close. At least not anyone from Indiana. 😉

37 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

Here's Tarpon Springs from yesterday.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p3tmj9GaYmM&pp=ygUMVGFycG9uIGd1YXJk

They've brought back the musicians and are broadcasting "news" on TV in real time. I'm getting Coppell 2023 vibes from these cameramen. Also Carmel 2004, for those old enough to remember that marching show. Super high energy and fun. Lots of 6s and rolls. It's another crowd pleaser. I think I would agree that the performers are a bit stronger than the show itself, at least from a staging perspective. It's a little scattershot looking. I get "random acts of color guard" vibes pretty frequently, sort of like the 2022 show. But then the performers are killing it, so...

Definitely a medal contender!

They look great as usual, and so did their other two guards. At least the little bit I saw on Instagram seemed to show that the A guard is doing well, and the middle school guard in particular looks fantastic too!

8 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

I saw that!  I think Avon is in it to win it and there ain’t nobody gettin close. At least not anyone from Indiana. 😉

Well, Carmel definitely seems to have an uphill battle to overtake Avon, unless that 3 point gap was mostly a penalty. That said, I'd still predict them for a medal, seeing as they haven't placed off the podium since 2009.

Also, if it's an uphill battle for Carmel, it's probably an uphill battle for everyone else. Tarpon is great and the crowd will be putty in their hands again 😆, but I'm not getting gold medal vibes from the show yet. TWHS' very incomplete show in that January clip gave me mixed vibes. Parts of it were wonderful, other parts it just didn't seem like anything all that interesting was happening, plus the dirt. Unfortunately, we probably won't see their final product until Austin, since Houston isn't being streamed.

I'm also curious about Arcadia. I'm not sure they've competed in California yet.

16 hours ago, Rubisco said:

Unfortunately, we probably won't see their final product until Austin, since Houston isn't being streamed.

honestly u probably won't be missing much at Houston. they're typically very tortoise-y compared to the other worlds. 8 hr rule and whatnot. usually don't experience a score spike until Austin. last yr at H-town they didn't even match Avon's score from the week before.

nowww some of the Houston As on the other hand may make a splash right away in the Nats rankings, like Grand Oaks and CyWoods, i think they're both going to Dayton.

i don't think Friendswood is doing Dayton this yr, but they're prob the frontrunner in open after making finals last yr. def also curious to see what Clear Brook looks like w/ a more complete package.

also Origins World should be strong right away. always a treat.

verrry sad to see just now that Third Coast has withdrawn from Dayton. Houston needs a strong IW guard like Cypress Independent and Code Black. revivals are needed!!!

3 hours ago, packwick said:

verrry sad to see just now that Third Coast has withdrawn from Dayton. Houston needs a strong IW guard like Cypress Independent and Code Black. revivals are needed!!!

Yes, definitely!

Still a bit bummed we won't be getting a Houston stream, but Dallas and Avon should hold me over until Austin.

Keller Central: amazing opening group! Circle show with plenty of individual and group moments, a couple rifle drops, however the GE was very high, and the girls were moving so well coordinated with each other, great and very expressive flag work, great job KC! 

Marshall-Shattered: This has to be the best 7 member guard I've ever seen! Their male soloist was killing it, and the theme was conveyed throughout. great body work, they were just running it down! I would love to get to see that again tomorrow, amazing job Marshall! 

Aledo-Flowers: great talent throughout this program! The theme is a little hard for me to understand, but the girls did great! Really love the flag work, some very hard and well executed saber/rifle moments. Great work Aledo! 

Walnut Grove- What if I fly: Welcome to WGI Walnut Grove, and an incredible first showing! Very colorful and emotional performance, with so much going on throughout the show. Loved how the opener slowly introduced the guard, middle section very chaotic with much going on as our character is trying to find themselves, and then we finish with amazing and well-coordinated flag work as they find themselves soaring in the skies. This young group is already very talented and could see them as a top group very soon, great job WG! 

Mount Pleasant JV.A-power of music: great performance all around. Very expressive flag work in the start, with great solo moments throughout. Plenty of variation in the body work, and some wonderful expression of the theme, great job Mount Pleasant

Mckinney Boyd- how long before I'm dust: WOW!! Very impressive body work in the beginning leading into some very hard solo rifle work that they nailed! They are not only attempting but achieving some extremely difficult solo stuff. Very talented group that I think we will most defiantly be seeing again tomorrow. Blown away by how clean that was considering the difficulty of what they are trying to do. Wow Boyd, that was incredible!